News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
sarcasm/not sarcasm argument aside...

Freddie has been a f***ing stud since returning and although I was in the boat of keeping PK as starter a few weeks ago, I'm now pretty torn. PK has a bit higher highs I think, but Freddie has just been so damn steady without some of the lows that PK has had. Regardless of who we go with to start the playoffs I bet both wind up playing at least some and I'm very confident in our goaltending going into the playoffs. It's still voodoo as it is for every team but glad the borg stood pat and didn't overreact to the early struggles in net.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Anyone else find it kind of amusing that the poster that commented on the Cardiac Canes website formerly went by the username Cardiac Canes (now Cardiac Jerks)? Maybe he's just doing this to get traffic for his own website. :sarcasm:
I’m so thankful I changed my name before anyone thought I was associated with that trash.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
sarcasm/not sarcasm argument aside...

Freddie has been a f***ing stud since returning and although I was in the boat of keeping PK as starter a few weeks ago, I'm now pretty torn. PK has a bit higher highs I think, but Freddie has just been so damn steady without some of the lows that PK has had. Regardless of who we go with to start the playoffs I bet both wind up playing at least some and I'm very confident in our goaltending going into the playoffs. It's still voodoo as it is for every team but glad the borg stood pat and didn't overreact to the early struggles in net.
We have two legit starter goalies for the first time in team history. It can cause headaches, but with Boston as the perfect example, it can lead to some very nice results for the team. Juggle 'em 50/50 for another year and rack up the wins, then figure out what to do later. Koochie's contract makes that an exceedingly affordable option.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
We have two legit starter goalies for the first time in team history. It can cause headaches, but with Boston as the perfect example, it can lead to some very nice results for the team. Juggle 'em 50/50 for another year and rack up the wins, then figure out what to do later. Koochie's contract makes that an exceedingly affordable option.
In Koochies case I think some of his bad games are due to him flip flopping. Honestly think he would play better getting ridden like a dirty whore.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So in the playoffs, do you think we'll stick with the alternating goalie strategy? It's worked quite well for us thus far, and the extra day of rest could help our goalies stay fresh if we do go deep this year
Given how good both of them have been, I can't see them telling either that they have to take a backseat.

Reactions: bleedgreen

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
So in the playoffs, do you think we'll stick with the alternating goalie strategy? It's worked quite well for us thus far, and the extra day of rest could help our goalies stay fresh if we do go deep this year

HA! I was just thinking about asking the same question less than 15 minutes ago, lol.

If the rest of the season plays out the way it's been going, I'd say stay with the alternating strategy. I know teams typically don't change a goalie who is winning in the playoffs, but that kind of seems contrary to the Wayne Gretzky adage about skating to where the puck is going to be, not where it is.

Reactions: cptjeff

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I can't think of an example of a team playing 2 different healthy goalies in a playoff series unless 1 was seriously struggling... You ride a hot hand, if worst comes to worst you have the backup ready to go. I have no clue how we'll pick between the 2 guys though, as there are strong arguments for both of them. My guess is it'll be Freddie.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I can't think of an example of a team playing 2 different healthy goalies in a playoff series unless 1 was seriously struggling... You ride a hot hand, if worst comes to worst you have the backup ready to go. I have no clue how we'll pick between the 2 guys though, as there are strong arguments for both of them. My guess is it'll be Freddie.

Okay, but generally teams have a defined starter and backup. We have two starters and a backup. And as you said, both starters have been lights out since January and neither has had any complaints about the system we’ve been rolling with (And Martin has played well when needed as well)

I’m of the mind of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Okay, but generally teams have a defined starter and backup. We have two starters and a backup. And as you said, both starters have been lights out since January and neither has had any complaints about the system we’ve been rolling with (And Martin has played well when needed as well)

I’m of the mind of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
It would be a revolutionary strategy (if it worked). I doubt we see it though. Yes generally teams have a 1a/1b or clear starter and backup, but there have been cases of teams having 2 guys they split pretty evenly, boston being a notable recent example. The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" also applies to riding a hot hand in the playoffs... You go into the playoffs with Freddie and he wins game 1 while playing great, you really gonna pull him and put Koochie in? Also mentality and confidence is important too, as much as a goalie may try to understand it, rotating will impact both guys' confidence and mentality vs. rolling with 1 guy who is playing well.

Hey, I'd be open to it, my above points are more just reasons I don't expect we'll see it. Best guess is we start with Freddie and either we cruise with him or if he starts to struggle or we lose a couple games and need a spark, then PK is waiting in the wings.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
FWIW, the coaching staff has alternated starts in a playoff series before: Mrazek and Reimer against Boston in the bubble.
Fair point but that was a very unique situation -- bubble/covid obviously, but we also had a back to back and double OT game to start the series and then as we lost games Rod tried making changes. I don't think it was a deliberate plan for them to alternate games.

Against Florida last year after the 4OT game 1 we started Raanta in game 2 which I highly doubt we would've done if game 1 was 60min. Went back to Freddie for the rest anyways despite Raanta playing well.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
They went back to Mrazek in Game 3 after a day off, despite Reimer winning Game 2. Reimer had started Game 3 of the New York series as well.

The bubble was a unique situation. Andersen's durability makes this a unique situation as well. His health can't be trusted. They'd be justified in managing his minutes as a result.

Reactions: DaveG

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So, note from @hangman005 this morning on playoff GDTs, which I'm passing along for those of you in the GDT making rotation:

Hey Folks,

As we draw closer to the playoffs, wanted to clarify how the GDT's are used in the playoff forums. Please read the following below to get a better clarification on the GDT's for the playoffs.....

We will be using the Home Team GDT for the main forum. If there is no GDT posted in the local team forum by 12pm ET or 3 hours before puck drop, whichever is first, we will use the Away Team GDT or the mod/admin team will create a neutral one for the main playoff forum.

Have fun with this, be creative, show off your skills, and make an effort. Just ask to keep it civil and within the rule guidelines. As per low effort GDT's , like one-line "Hey, there's a game tonight" may not be used at the mod/admins discretion and will either use the Away Team GDT or create a neutral one.

Thanks!"

Which is to say that if you want our GDT on the mains, get it up in time and actually put a little effort in. Weird in-jokes, food references, and fights in the Bojangles parking lot are highly encouraged for the purpose of confusing other fanbases.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So, note from @hangman005 this morning on playoff GDTs, which I'm passing along for those of you in the GDT making rotation:

Hey Folks,
As we draw closer to the playoffs, wanted to clarify how the GDT's are used in the playoff forums. Please read the following below to get a better clarification on the GDT's for the playoffs.....
We will be using the Home Team GDT for the main forum. If there is no GDT posted in the local team forum by 12pm ET or 3 hours before puck drop, whichever is first, we will use the Away Team GDT or the mod/admin team will create a neutral one for the main playoff forum.
Have fun with this, be creative, show off your skills, and make an effort. Just ask to keep it civil and within the rule guidelines. As per low effort GDT's , like one-line "Hey, there's a game tonight" may not be used at the mod/admins discretion and will either use the Away Team GDT or create a neutral one.
Thanks!"

Which is to say that if you want our GDT on the mains, get it up in time and actually put a little effort in. Weird in-jokes, food references, and fights in the Bojangles parking lot are highly encouraged for the purpose of confusing other fanbases.
I think it would be fun if we created a couple of rumors or really push a stereotype during the game.

I.e talk about how we are moving to atl or qc.

Stereotypes: sigh about how cheap TD if we don’t dominate a game. Or just complain about the rules wrongly

Reactions: Daeavorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad