News & Notes XLII: Consolidation Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Carolina Hurricanes forward Jesperi Kotkaniemi has been fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for elbowing Dallas Stars defenseman Joel Hanley during NHL Game No. 907 in Raleigh, N.C., on Saturday, Feb. 24, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 11:21 of the first period.

The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Well I knew this was coming. 2024-25 season tickets were just invoiced and they have officially eliminated all grandfathered promotional discounts. Either you pay full price or you GTFO
I just looked at the section I used to sit in when I lived closer and had stms. Was like 58 or something a game for the full season. That's not terrible.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
People pay to watch good hockey teams and Carolina has consistently been a good hockey team. There isn't an owner/GM in the league that won't increase prices if the market allows for it, especially after the economic impact for 2 seasons with Covid.

Didn't I hear at the game a few weeks back that there is a wait-list for season tickets?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
People pay to watch good hockey teams and Carolina has consistently been a good hockey team. There isn't an owner/GM in the league that won't increase prices if the market allows for it, especially after the economic impact for 2 seasons with Covid.

Didn't I hear at the game a few weeks back that there is a wait-list for season tickets?
DW did note a few weeks back that Canes focus will be on raising prices since their ticket prices were 3rd lowest in the NHL (unverified by an independent source though).

I suspect that when they tear up the building the replacement sections pricing will be 20-30% higher or more per seat and their League wide comparative revenue per seat will jump nicely up the board (for them of course).

3% is actually a reasonable increase for seats; parking at 10% is not (parking is already unreasonably high as it is).

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Boys, boys. Calm down.

It seems like there’s really only two options here. Up to you guys whether you’ll be mature enough to pick the right one. You can either sit here and hate each other… Orlov each other. Sit with that for a bit.
THERE IS A THITD OPTION, AND IT INVOLVES BOJANGLES

Well I knew this was coming. 2024-25 season tickets were just invoiced and they have officially eliminated all grandfathered promotional discounts. Either you pay full price or you GTFO
just saying, enjoy it... bruins season tickets are like 3x as expensive

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
This market is going to have a hard time paying for 90+ million dollar payrolls unless we go deep into the playoffs every year. Typically teams will take some risk being covered by a playoff game or so. Preferably you want to cover your expenditures with regular season money. Either we need more TV money, more advertising money or higher ticket prices

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
This market is going to have a hard time paying for 90+ million dollar payrolls unless we go deep into the playoffs every year. Typically teams will take some risk being covered by a playoff game or so. Preferably you want to cover your expenditures with regular season money. Either we need more TV money, more advertising money or higher ticket prices
But wait, he has backyard burger revenue coming in next year. Kidding of course.

I have to think that gambling revenues will flow nicely to his bottom line which should offset some/all of the cap increase.

Negative possibility is local broadcast revenues declining.

To your point though....I seem to recall that prior ownership always noted that a deep playoff run was the difference each year in covering costs or not.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
How can you possibly argue that we haven't? With Tro 2+ years (3 playoff runs), we haven't made it out of the 2nd round. The 2 seasons under Rod that we have not had Tro we've made it to the ECF.

Don't get me wrong, Tro would be an upgrade at 2C and sure I miss what he brought to the team. But a move like deciding not to re-sign Tro is not made in a vacuum and I think we are in overall better shape (taking now & future into account) having let him walk. You or others can feel free to disagree but there is no argument right now that we have not done better without him than with him lol.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
How can you possibly argue that we haven't? With Tro 2+ years (3 playoff runs), we haven't made it out of the 2nd round. The 2 seasons under Rod that we have not had Tro we've made it to the ECF.

Don't get me wrong, Tro would be an upgrade at 2C and sure I miss what he brought to the team. But a move like deciding not to re-sign Tro is not made in a vacuum and I think we are in overall better shape (taking now & future into account) having let him walk. You or others can feel free to disagree but there is no argument right now that we have not done better without him than with him lol.
How is Tro’s metric playoff success? Pretty much every forward on the team sans Martinook could’ve been better in the playoffs.

His direct replacement has been banished to the fourth line. Again. We’re looking for righty centers with none available. I get the argument that we didn’t want the contract, I dont/didnt necessarily agree but at least understand the argument. Saying we’re good at that spot with Drury/Koko when we were in on Lindholm, our gm is saying we’d love a replacement publicly and as a group here goalie and the 2C spot are our most obvious holes I don’t see how you can think we’re better team without Tro. Again, I get the argument about the contract but we’re not a better team for it. We had to know there was going to be a drop off there, if I can see it coming obviously they can. Koko had never shown Tro’s level of impact.

Better suited for cap long term? Other than the money we’re spending on our fourth line center for years to come sure, but a better team without him? That doesn’t make any sense. It was a financial decision not a player one. Tro is a better player in every way, and a righty who had great chemistry with the group. We’re not a better team without him. Koko has been a dud to this point. I think we can say that without getting our feelers hurt.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
How is Tro’s metric playoff success? Pretty much every forward on the team sans Martinook could’ve been better in the playoffs.

His direct replacement has been banished to the fourth line. Again. We’re looking for righty centers with none available. I get the argument that we didn’t want the contract, I dont/didnt necessarily agree but at least understand the argument. Saying we’re good at that spot with Drury/Koko when we were in on Lindholm, our gm is saying we’d love a replacement publicly and as a group here goalie and the 2C spot are our most obvious holes I don’t see how you can think we’re better team without Tro. Again, I get the argument about the contract but we’re not a better team for it. We had to know there was going to be a drop off there, if I can see it coming obviously they can. Koko had never shown Tro’s level of impact.

Better suited for cap long term? Other than the money we’re spending on our fourth line center for years to come sure, but a better team without him? That doesn’t make any sense. It was a financial decision not a player one. Tro is a better player in every way, and a righty who had great chemistry with the group. We’re not a better team without him. Koko has been a dud to this point. I think we can say that without getting our feelers hurt.
While Kotkaniemi is slumping again and has been streaky, keep in mind:

Trocheck's last season in Carolina was 51 points in 82 games and 10 points in 14 playoff games.

Kotkaniemi's 2023 calendar year (including a dreadful December) was 47 points in 83 games and 7 points in 15 playoff games.

Kotkaniemi put up a 2023 that was close to Trocheck's last season in Carolina. Trocheck played better with better wings in New York, yes. But Trocheck's 21-22 didn't match his 20-21 even if he was healthy for all of 21-22.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
*looks at the box score*

Wait, he didn't even get a 2 min penalty but got a fine? They can fine unpenalized plays? Holy shit how have there not been countless fines then this season for all the times our guys have been brutalized without any calls? The DoPS is a f***ing joke

90% sure Rod complained about officiating, asked for a review of the game and the league caught a few missed calls against Carolina.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
While Kotkaniemi is slumping again and has been streaky, keep in mind:

Trocheck's last season in Carolina was 51 points in 82 games and 10 points in 14 playoff games.

Kotkaniemi's 2023 calendar year (including a dreadful December) was 47 points in 83 games and 7 points in 15 playoff games.

Kotkaniemi put up a 2023 that was close to Trocheck's last season in Carolina. Trocheck played better with better wings in New York, yes. But Trocheck's 21-22 didn't match his 20-21 even if he was healthy for all of 21-22.
But how are their 2024s going? :naughty:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Ouch! Parsing that sentence made my head hurt, lol. o_O

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Ouch! Parsing that sentence made my head hurt, lol. o_O
tumblr_lpskjnZlb51qfiszl540.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events