News & Notes Thread Part VI: "Where the Hell is the News Thread?" Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I hear that having a role player as the captain is an extremely effective tactic. Oh what's that? It absolutely isn't? Never mind.

Of the 14 teams that made the playoffs this year who currently have a captain, 3 of them have captains that aren't their best or 2nd best player. And the worst one of those players is Brian Gionta, a guy who once scored 50 goals. Slightly different breed than Nathan Gerbe. This board has this vision of what a captain should be that just isn't grounded in any sort of reality. I suppose we are spoiled by the pre-Staal history of Canes captains.

This isn't a defense of Staal's leadership abilities, they don't appear to be very good.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
40 seconds left in the game, down by one. Goalie's pulled. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY will be cheering harder from the end of the bench for Staal, Semin or Skinner to score than Captain Nathan Gerbe.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
40 seconds left in the game, down by one. Goalie's pulled. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY will be cheering harder from the end of the bench for Staal, Semin or Skinner to score than Captain Nathan Gerbe.

Problem is, you can't see or hear the cheering since he can't see over the boards.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Problem is, you can't see or hear the cheering since he can't see over the boards.

61Y801sG08L._SL1500_.jpg

Slap a Canes logo on that bad boy and you're good to go.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
not that it's likely to happen anyhow, but removing the C from Staal really does nothing. if he isn't already aware of how people feel then, well....it will be interesting to see how the relationship between him and Francis plays out though. I don't foresee much change tbh.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
It's like when Langenbrunner was USA captain near the end. Didn't he play on the fourth line?

JL was a fourth liner at the time but it was a guy who had captained a top tier NHL team, won two cups in two different places, played in the top 6 most of his career, and had almost 100 playoff points. Totally different scope of a player.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Even though 42 year old Jagr nearly outscored 20 year old Jagr, it's hard to say he'll be worth it again. But it's fun to see how long he'll last and watch him climb the all-time scoring lists.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Even though 42 year old Jagr nearly outscored 20 year old Jagr, it's hard to say he'll be worth it again. But it's fun to see how long he'll last and watch him climb the all-time scoring lists.

I can't help but respect what the guy is doing. Now I know there are plenty of guys training just as hard, but the work he puts in at his age (obviously he needs to) is pretty admirable. I'd love to see him have another year like he just did.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
No question. He's so full of himself, but he's never painted himself in any other light, and he gets the job done on the ice. Just imagine his scoring totals if he didn't suffer through multiple lockouts and several years in Russia.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
A guy who was told he may never be able to play hockey again a la Doug Dorsey, an old man, and a guy that lost his wife. I'm not trying to downplay Moore's loss, but in terms of what that award represents, it seems like no contest for Manny.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
A guy who was told he may never be able to play hockey again a la Doug Dorsey, an old man, and a guy that lost his wife. I'm not trying to downplay Moore's loss, but in terms of what that award represents, it seems like no contest for Manny.

Actually, I think this year is one of the rare years where all three meet what the award is supposed to represent.

Jagr's got the perseverance down flat, having played for as long as he has, with seemingly very little drop off in play. Guys like Whitney and Selanne could also have been nominated, but...

Moore's story is more than just a dead wife. The guy took a year off from hockey to grieve and still returned arguably as good as ever.

And Malhotra, we all know the story.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
although I like Jagr and respect his commitment I don't see the award there. Moore and Manny is a tough choice and both are very worthy of the award. I have to lean with Moore though, just slightly more deserving if I had to choose.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think Manny is the very definition of this award and I hope he wins, but I think Moore will take it and that's fine. It is impressive that Jagr has played so long, stayed in such great shape, and had very little decline in production, but I don't think he's in the same class as Moore and Manny for the Masterton. I'd make those two co-winners if I could.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
They are all three very deserving in obviously very different ways. I think I would give it to Manny because I'm biased and because of the way he worked his tail off with a tryout contract in the AHL to get back to where he wanted to be. Can't say I'd be upset with any of them winning it though.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
In all my 5 seconds of searching the Canes board I couldn't find the proper thread for this. I feel great shame.

Proposal: Ali Lucia for Chantel McCabe straight up? I would consider throwing in a 4th if it help the deal go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad