News & Notes Thread Part VI: "Where the Hell is the News Thread?" Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Interesting takeaway from that for me was that we've hired Ricky Olczyk into our front office. He has served with the Edmonton Oilers as an assistant GM for the past four years. Additionally, as the unique last name implies, brother of Ed Olczyk.

Let the head coaching rumors commence.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Interesting takeaway from that for me was that we've hired Ricky Olczyk into our front office. He has served with the Edmonton Oilers as an assistant GM for the past four years. Additionally, as the unique last name implies, brother of Ed Olczyk.

Let the head coaching rumors commence.

Well, he's got coaching experience. :laugh:

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
@TSNBobMcKenzie

Even though CAR's Jim Rutherford stepped down as Canes' GM, belief is he would have interest in being a GM with another franchise.

Interesting... not sure how much interest there'd be in hiring a guy that was part owner of the competition.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Some notes from McKenzie:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
PIT assistant GM Jason Botterill likely to take over on an interim basis. Shero likely to immediately become frontrunner for GM job in WSH.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Not sure if he has interest in being a GM, but many in PIT believe owner Ron Burkle would like Sidney Crosby's agent Pat Brisson to be GM.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Gord Miller posed a theory that when Crosby and malkin got the same amount it guaranteed their lack of depth. Said the hawks were good because their pair were kept at 6.5, and if both stayed as low as 7.5 they could stay good for a long time. I don't disagree, but keeping to game changers at 7.5? They couldn't have got Crosby/malkin that low so it's essentially blaming shero for drafting the two stars.

It makes an interesting conversation, how drafting star players can damage your chances in a cap world. I've often said that staal's contract was the end of our depth and therefore most likely our chances of going far. You can say wards too, but I think 6 mill can be overcome. When the contracts get as big as staals, it becomes very tough for the player to perform well enough to equal it. If Sid and malkin struggle with it, staal doesn't have a chance. Subban is about to have the same effect on the habs, and Nashville is *** in the a if they actually turn it around and build a scoring team.

I would trade weber. No one can live up to that contract. I imagine they're just waiting for someone to offer the moon, better take an offer before he starts to slide.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I would trade weber. No one can live up to that contract. I imagine they're just waiting for someone to offer the moon, better take an offer before he starts to slide.

Wonder if Edmonton could be that team. A lot of young players up front, maybe one will really entice Nashville as the center piece of a trade. And I'd imagine that the 3rd overall would be a part of that trade, so you can add a Sam Bennett to the mix in Nashville.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think the likelihood of the Chicago duo being kept at 7.5 as potential UFAs is extremely low.

Last edited:

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Interesting... not sure how much interest there'd be in hiring a guy that was part owner of the competition.

and a tweet like that about Rutherford just decreases McKenzie's credibility and goes to show how 'even he' throws **** at the wall. stupid suggestion all things considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad