News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2023-24

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
man, what a circus up there. Pajama boy should be getting more heat, but Magic Mitch is in the fire instead of him
They sorta seem resigned that he ain’t worth the price of admission, but the others should be pulling more weight - younger, faster, more skilled - that familiar rhetoric.

Reactions: mm11

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Utah will be generic for their first season, going through the desert on a horse with no name.

"Ownership of the NHL’s team in Utah has given fans 20 choices to vote on for the franchise’s new name ... the team will have a name starting with Utah. The inaugural season will feature jerseys with the name of the state on them, with a name, logo and colors to debut for 2025-26 after work done by the branding company Doubleday & Cartwright."

"The options provided to choose from are Frost, Ice, Powder, Mountaineers, Freeze, Mammoth, Black Diamonds, Blast, Caribou, Blizzard, Swarm, Hive, Outlaws, Yeti, Squall, Fury, Glaciers, Canyons, Venom and HC, which stands for Hockey Club."

Call me old-fashioned, but "Outlaws" sounds good. "Powder", "Hive" and "Hockey Club" not high on my list....

I think this is a huge mistake but if they aren't confident they can get the branding right it's better they wait.

Allowing the fans to vote is not a good idea to me. I think fan pressure created the Kraken and that will age very poorly so I'd be very skeptical of fan voting here.

Reactions: doublechili

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Utah will be generic for their first season, going through the desert on a horse with no name.

"Ownership of the NHL’s team in Utah has given fans 20 choices to vote on for the franchise’s new name ... the team will have a name starting with Utah. The inaugural season will feature jerseys with the name of the state on them, with a name, logo and colors to debut for 2025-26 after work done by the branding company Doubleday & Cartwright."

"The options provided to choose from are Frost, Ice, Powder, Mountaineers, Freeze, Mammoth, Black Diamonds, Blast, Caribou, Blizzard, Swarm, Hive, Outlaws, Yeti, Squall, Fury, Glaciers, Canyons, Venom and HC, which stands for Hockey Club."

Call me old-fashioned, but "Outlaws" sounds good. "Powder", "Hive" and "Hockey Club" not high on my list....

Powder soft
Glacier slow

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I think this is a huge mistake but if they aren't confident they can get the branding right it's better they wait.

Allowing the fans to vote is not a good idea to me. I think fan pressure created the Kraken and that will age very poorly so I'd be very skeptical of fan voting here.
Technically, I don’t think there was mention that the fans #1 vote choice would be used. The owner could just take the fans top 3 choices in to consideration, for instance.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Blast. Definitely Utah Blast.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Blast. Definitely Utah Blast.
If I had to put money on one, "Blast" would probably be it. Not my fav, but maybe the most likely.

Shame they don't have the Utah "Youts" as an option.

1715302331104.png

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
IIHF Worlds:
Nelson with one of the goals in the 5-2 loss to Sweden (incl. 2 empty-netters) on the first day of action. Having Lyon in goal was basically the difference in this game.

Still, I sat there watching Farabee out there and seeing this dearth of goal-scoring wondering why the gents at USA hockey didn't add Wahlstrom to this team?

:sarcasm:

Interesting:
Norway (like the youngest team at the tourney) lost 5-2 to Switzerland (pretty much the oldest team). Likely first rounder Brandsegg-Nygârd had Norway's 2nd goal on the power play.

His line consisted of him and two "older" guys named Steen and Vesterheim.

These three are 19, 19, and 18 respectively. That may quite possibly be the youngest line ever at a Men's WC.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
It's a tough situation. It's hard to push something like that through so many committees, DEI people, bureaucracies, boards, etc in so little time.

I'd like to see them lean into the out west thing. Something like Wranglers, Pioneers, Wanderers, like that. I don't see Outlaws making it through the current cultural zeitgeist though, since it suggests guns.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Would've been better if he was walking around his pool. :sarcasm:
lol… would’ve been better if it was Tavares walking around in the background of the video on the pool deck… looking befuddled with internal ennui sporting a leafs robe and slippers.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MarsTBOW and TMI

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The old ‘prioritize my family’ line. Yawn.
lol, what else are you looking for? Just before Mother’s Day nonetheless. Besides he already owned up professionally, saying “he didn’t get it done.”

Maybe you’re looking for more like this…

“I dunno what comes next. But imma just gonna hang around my yacht and sip Shiraz while poppin’ 8-balls.”

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
lol, what else are you looking for? Just before Mother’s Day nonetheless. Besides he already owned up professionally, saying “he didn’t get it done.”

Maybe you’re looking for more like this…

“I dunno what comes next. But imma just gonna hang around my yacht and sip Shiraz while poppin’ 8-balls.”
Or maybe just say nothing?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's a tough situation. It's hard to push something like that through so many committees, DEI people, bureaucracies, boards, etc in so little time.

I'd like to see them lean into the out west thing. Something like Wranglers, Pioneers, Wanderers, like that. I don't see Outlaws making it through the current cultural zeitgeist though, since it suggests guns.
I like all of those. Wanderers is great, especially because it's an old team name (Montreal Wanderers).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad