News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2023-24

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Would love to get confirmation that either of our Russian goalies are in America right now, after the Fedotov and now Kaprisov news. Good on Kap for getting out of there asap, I hope he took his family members with him.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Would love to get confirmation that either of our Russian goalies are in America right now, after the Fedotov and now Kaprisov news. Good on Kap for getting out of there asap, I hope he took his family members with him.

They all need to get out ASAP.

Every single one who plans on playing in North America next season, contract or not, would best be advised to find a way out immediately.

Sure, Fedotov is a low-profile warning shot. And it's a fate that might not hit many, or even any more, along the way. Who knows?

But hockey players of note are highly political entities in Russia as is. Even moreso in the current political climate.

Every team in the league should be at least preparing for a reality that sees their Russian players and prospects being blocked from leaving in the months to come. Perhaps even randomly.

And some may even, themselves, just inform their teams that they'll not be returning.

Highly conceivable that any and every pressure point possible (i.e. threats to family members, confiscation of property, etc.) could be part of the pressure to remain in the homeland.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Athletic is saying Kaprizov actually hasn't gotten out of Russia.

Can see the difference between Lou and Guerin. Guerin begged his players not to return to Russia, and Lou told them to do what is best for them.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm guessing these players' agents/advisors also had something to say about returning to Russia. No one can make them do or not do something.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Letang signs with Pittsburgh for big bucks. Probably leaves just enough room for Malkin if he sticks to his demands.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Letang signs with Pittsburgh for big bucks. Probably leaves just enough room for Malkin if he sticks to his demands.

Good for him, but oof on that deal. Gamble on cap going up and they can absorb the back years of that or trade it as a LTIR (we know the GMs are not changing that rule).

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That is a lot of picks to give up for a player the Rags had zero interest in bringing back, even if they aren't premium picks.

Colorado better have a miracle worker on staff as the goalie coach.
I wouldn’t go into next season with Francouz and Georgiev as my goaltenders. But that’s just me.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I wouldn’t go into next season with Francouz and Georgiev as my goaltenders. But that’s just me.
Grubauer trade 2.0.

I also don't love it, would've preferred just signing Fleury. And really I wish we had just kept Varly and not traded assets for Grubs/Kuemper/George. I have no doubt Varly would've been at the very least on Kuempers level.

1st + 2nd + 3rd + Timmins for goaltending isn't great asset management, but I can't complain too much considering this season :laugh:

Reactions: frankieboy and MJF

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

If they go ahead with that goaltending tandem, I will be betting the over on most Colorado games, especially early in the season, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad