News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2023-24

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Is Salt Lake City a dry city? Good luck bringing an NHL team there, then!

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Beer sales are gonna be so bad that they might have to roll out $2 Tall boys. :naughty:

SLC would immediately become the bachelor party capital of American hockey fans…

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Beer sales are gonna be so bad that they might have to roll out $2 Tall boys. :naughty:

SLC would immediately become the bachelor party capital of American hockey fans…
The best thing about SLC is it's a 2 hour drive to Las Vegas.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
You could do RENO. Then there'd be rivalry in Nevada
I would love it but to small of a market. We in the north can't root for much in the south. Vegas is an 8 hour ugly drive, but brings in much more $ than Reno or Tahoe in regards to gaming. The tourism/gaming in the south is one of the reason we don't have state income taxes, but it also brings in more crime, rif raf, Californians, schools down there are terrible, and it's way too hot at least for me. SLC is a nice city and has tons of transplants from the east and has some great skiing.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
You all underestimate the pull an old boomer like @MJF has for a Vegas good time!

He's making that trip in two hours, with time to spare for gas station chips and soda stop.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You all underestimate the pull an old boomer like @MJF has for a Vegas good time!

He's making that trip in two hours, with time to spare for gas station chips and soda stop.
The trip is more like an hour in the winter, you can go faster…

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
So I get that SLC is going to have good proposed ownership by the sound of it. But what about the viability longer term? Comparing market to market, will it actually be any more sound than AZ? Is the TV market comparable at all? Even with population growth, is the potential base there as good?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So I get that SLC is going to have good proposed ownership by the sound of it. But what about the viability longer term? Comparing market to market, will it actually be any more sound than AZ? Is the TV market comparable at all? Even with population growth, is the potential base there as good?
Apples to oranges but if the Jazz can survive I think there’s long term viability. Although I do get Winnipeg vibes where it won’t be a very desirable profitable franchise after the shine wears off.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
Yotes players told they will play in salt lake next year, allegedly

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
No tolls, less idiots, straight driving through the desert. It’s an ‘easy’ drive.
True, but it's also close to 3 hours more driving, round trip. The space between cities out here is massive and empty. Utah is as big as New England plus NY, and there's one major city there and it's about the size of Buffalo. Imagine New England plus NY with the biggest city being Buffalo and basically nothing else.

SLC is like 6 hours to LV, 6 hours to Boise, 7.5 to Denver... and those are the closest cities by far. The emptiness is hard to fathom if you've been an east coaster all your life, like I have.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
True, but it's also close to 3 hours more driving, round trip. The space between cities out here is massive and empty. Utah is as big as New England plus NY, and there's one major city there and it's about the size of Buffalo. Imagine New England plus NY with the biggest city being Buffalo and basically nothing else.

SLC is like 6 hours to LV, 6 hours to Boise, 7.5 to Denver... and those are the closest cities by far. The emptiness is hard to fathom if you've been an east coaster all your life, like I have.
You’ll tend to find people in the west and mountains driver way less for the reason you mention, but also they don’t feel compelled to drive and get out more to different places vs running your life off 95 - more international places too.

Big L

Feb 7, 2013
CT
lol holy shit - watching Detroit feed vs leafs. Detroit dude boards a leaf dude,clear as day. Detroit announcers blaming it on the leafs player. Gdamn, these clowns are as bad as those Boston clowns

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
lol holy shit - watching Detroit feed vs leafs. Detroit dude boards a leaf dude,clear as day. Detroit announcers blaming it on the leafs player. Gdamn, these clowns are as bad as those Boston clowns
Yeah I was forced to listen to Detroit feed a few weeks back when the played isles. Rough listen. We have it pretty good with the isles.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
You’ll tend to find people in the west and mountains driver way less for the reason you mention, but also they don’t feel compelled to drive and get out more to different places vs running your life off 95 - more international places too.
True, it's a different perspective on things. Way less "hectic," I guess is the right word. Just traffic, congestion and volume is way different.

But, people are like, "We can go to Portland for the weekend. It's real close!" and I'm like, "It's 7 hours away! Close what!?"

I drove Atlanta to St. Louis and was thinking, "Shit, I just drove halfway across the country!" And, then I drove through Wyoming and it just dwarfed everything.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Interesting thing on AZ going to SLC. With such a short window, SLC is going to spend money in the offseason - probably the real reason the PA for involved. AZ (SLC) can add another $40M into the league.

That’s going to drive up UFA prices and trades.

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Interesting thing on AZ going to SLC. With such a short window, SLC is going to spend money in the offseason - probably the real reason the PA for involved. AZ (SLC) can add another $40M into the league.

That’s going to drive up UFA prices and trades.
I wonder if they'll move the Weber contract to a cap strapped team like Toronto or Vegas, allowing those teams to drop cash on more UFAs as well.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Apples to oranges but if the Jazz can survive I think there’s long term viability. Although I do get Winnipeg vibes where it won’t be a very desirable profitable franchise after the shine wears off.
Yeah but selling out an arena outside of SLC requires 8000 couples to buy tickets where as in SLC a family unit is like one dude and three ladies, meaning only 4000 family units buying tickets = a sellout! Throw in kids and only 2000 family units = a sellout!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad