News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21 Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
This is incorrect. Toews and Kane were earning $6.3M each when they last won the cup, it was that summer they got the big pay day.

Thought they got their most recent deals just before they won the last one.

That said Barzal's next deal is going to circle around 10M/year so are you saying after that happens then the Isles should not acquire any other 10M player no matter how good he is? That roughly 20M on just 2 players is a salary situation where it makes it impossible to then ice a team that can win a Cup?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The correct call was made on Buch....The incorrect call made on Wilson. Absolute insane.

The league officials should be suspended 5 days and fined $500,000

Bingo. This.

The NHL totally f***ed up and it lead to everything that happened last night. If they suspended Wilson even 3 games that along wouldn't make the rangers feel like they had to handle things on their own.

Once they did Buchnevich totally crossed the line. You cannot cross check someone from behind - You absolutely cannot cross check their face.

And Dolan's statement, while totally over the line, was correct in its nature. Problem is that it was going to make the NHL defend itself/Parros even more, and thus the 250K fine.

Honestly no way for the NHL to get to admit its wrong. They are not going to take player safety as serious as it should be until unfortunately a player gets a career-ending injury or worse.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

That said Barzal's next deal is going to circle around 10M/year so are you saying after that happens then the Isles should not acquire any other 10M player no matter how good he is? That roughly 20M on just 2 players is a salary situation where it makes it impossible to then ice a team that can win a Cup?

I don't think it's impossible, but it's extremely challenging and no team has been able to do it yet. We'll see what's what when Barzal actually gets to that point. I heard a lot about how he was going to command so much more on this deal and that just didn't happen.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't think it's impossible, but it's extremely challenging and no team has been able to do it yet. We'll see what's what when Barzal actually gets to that point. I heard a lot about how he was going to command so much more on this deal and that just didn't happen.

To say that not addressing the affect Covid had on the league last offseason is to be disingenuous.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
No it isn't, plenty posted how he'd command more even after COVID.

Sorry to interject as this is your guys convo, but I don't think Barzal has done enough on ice to justify a 10M AAV. The real issue is you can't afford to lose him, which means paying him more than his value on ice.

I want to see him elevate his game vs top tier opponents.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
@periferal

Here's everyone overestimating what he'd get. It gets more and more realistic the closer we get to the date he actually signed when leaks started happening, and most were still over the amount he ended up signing for. The numbers were even crazier earlier, before the pandemic.

Isles are not an elite team that won a recent SC or came close and so I do not see Barzal's situation as similar to Crosby's or Stamkos. Isles cannot make the argument that the player should sign a long-term,team friendly deal to allow their elite team to be kept together.
Nor are the isles a team of high end, young talent expected to be a serious SC contender for the next several years like Colorado.

Earlier this season, Barzal was asked about his next contract and responded by saying he was not worried because good play was rewarded.

Kind of hard to argue against Barzal getting $9m+ when Skinner who averaged 63 pts a season, got $9m per and when less productive centers Johansson+ Duchene got $8m per.

I'd say you're right and that the majority of the hockey world expects Barzal to be getting 9+ million per on his next contract.

What Lou privately thinks about it, and what he may be planning with respect to Barzal moving forward, is something we'll never find out about - not publicly in the media or unless the very unlikely event of a trade takes place. But Lou will see to it that Barzal gets the money necessary to keep him our (satisfied) asset for as long as possible.

As others have mentioned, there is no way Lou can afford to take the huge step backwards that losing Barzal would be so shortly before Belmont.

At least one would certainly have to think that.

LEE, EBERLE, and NELSON:
This is not directed at you per se, but if there are people out there who believe these three wouldn't have gotten the money they ended up with - perhaps even better - on the free market, then nobody here can help you. I'd only suggest that if you think that way, you don't go waving that train of thought around people who are in the know about the NHL market. As Crew mentioned above, if there are GMs out there who are giving the Jeff Skinners of the world 9+ MM per, then there should be no doubt that our boys could have gotten as much as they did for resigning here - or more - on the free market as well.

In light of having 6 UFAs last summer (four of which were critically important to what the team had achieved), a situation where the team captain could walk for the second summer in a row, and the desire to go for the biggest fish in the UFA pond (who'd have been placed right in front of Lee's nose as the #1 LW), Lou did nothing short of a masterful job in locking down Nelson and Eberle to extremely market-fair deals before being the biggest bidder for Panarin while keeping Lee on stand-by, only to re-up the captain to a deal that he'd surely have gotten elsewhere.

Sure, Lee's deal looks like a deal that may become very ugly towards its conclusion, but Lou couldn't allow this team to take a step backwards on paper after what was established last season. He tried to make it considerably better, but then managed to at least keep it the same. At least with respect to the skaters.

Goaltending is something different, although I'm pretty sure that if Sorokin ultimately signs in time for next season, then the Varlamov signing will be "completed". And I think Lou and Korn were very ready to see goaltending take a slight step back in order to get Sorokin over here, but that all still has to play out...

In any case, Lou will no doubt do what's necessary in keeping Barzal as the cornerstone of this team - as long as some crazy GM doesn't come along offering Mat 12 MM plus per year.

Are there any out there who would/could?

6 years x 9m AAV is my guess

Rantanen got .25m more than that but also scores a bit more and it was before the flat cap era.

I would be extremely happy if Mathew signs for a Aho type contact. 8.5 for 5 years.

He’s a UFA in 5 years correct? Wouldn’t be shocked if he signed a deal that brought him right to UFA

my guess 5 years 7.5- 8mil AAV If he has an insane playoffs I can see him getting 8+

He has the potential to be a perennial 90+pt player but you don’t always get paid on potential.
If his next deal eats into his UFA years he’ll get more money.

I love Barzal but he’s gotta take over games more and start scoring a little more.
To me he’s capable of 25-30 goals and 60 assists.

Because of the cap situation around the league he may just sign a short bridge to see if it goes up after 3-4 years and He can cash in. He’s got a few options.

We can’t lose him though because there’s no Kid who won the Calder behind him to replace him.

My guess is 7.5 x 2

year 1 - 6.5 mil
year 2 - 7.5 mil
year 3 - 8 mil
year 4 - 9 mil
year 5 - 9 mil

5 years 8 mil AAV

my guess is 2 years 7.75 aav ; maybe give him some up front bonus so he can buy a condo

IDK, I've been getting paid to not work the past year (and not til late 2021...and yes, I am very fortunate to be in this position) and I am definitely getting dumber by the second, if not the day.

So I guess Mat will get 8y, 4m a season :confused:

Does 8-9m sound about right?

If he’s willing to sign for 6.5 it would have already happened by now. I don’t see him getting less than 7.5...probably 8.

After seeing what cirelli got I expect barzal to get at least 7.5m on a 3 year

Sounds about right on to me.

I'd like him to sign on January 1, 2021 as a sign that next year is going to be massively better than this craphole of a year.

Mitch Marner is not as important to his team as Barzal is to ours. We do not have a Matthews. Lou has had 3 months to figure this out. Maybe I am wrong but I genuinely do not believe that Barzal is stupid or selfish enough to be asking for 9 or 10 million at this point. There is absolutely no reason Lou should not be giving him 3 years at 7.5-8 million.

----------------------------------------------------

Sorry to interject as this is your guys convo, but I don't think Barzal has done enough on ice to justify a 10M AAV. The real issue is you can't afford to lose him, which means paying him more than his value on ice.

I want to see him elevate his game vs top tier opponents.

I think that's true, but there's plenty of time before a decision needs to be made about that.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Washington and Pittsburgh must be foaming at the mouth for that #1 seed knowing they get to play the isles
I wouldn’t say that. The Islanders, despite how shitty they’ve looked, have a knack for turning on the light switch come playoff time

Do I wish they’d look better? Yes. Am I super worried about the playoffs? Not really

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Jeeze Tampa/Panthers playoff series just about a certainty at this point... Panthers are just never going to win a round

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Jeeze Tampa/Panthers playoff series just about a certainty at this point... Panthers are just never going to win a round
Those Panthers are very good. Might be the 'upset' of the 1st round. Glad to see those teams finally playing each other.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Some thoughts on the Caps-Rangers:

1.) Buch should not have been suspended.

2.) There is still a place in the game for muscle and you cannot build a team of skill players. When Lou passes on players such as Dzingel and signs guys like Martin there is a reason why. Barzal likely does not get thrown to the ice head first without his helmet and you can tell me I am wrong all you want. I am right and this video should be played on repeat during the offseason for the Rangers thought process in free agency.

3.) I don't think you should go after Wilson at all last night. Rangers did not have the fighters to take him out or beat anyone up fairly. You want the shit to stop with Wilson? The easy solution is to throw Backstrom into the ice as soon as he steps out. After that you start mouthing to Carlson he's next when he is not looking. And you wait for the perfect moment to go after Wilson when he has his guard down.

Call me a Neanderthal all you want but #3 is absolutely what needs to happen when Wilson was still smiling in the penalty box last night. They threw Panarin WITHOUT A HELMET into the ice head first. He could have been seriously injured. Embarrassing from the NHL, Caps, AND Rangers last night.

I would ALMOST never wish injury on a player, but Wilson is a know PoS.

I think you either Darcy Tucker him, go in low and just destroy his legs or call up a career AHL goon and just have that guy skate up to Wilson with no warning and punch him in the face until he hits the ice.

Then pay that player's fine as a team and it is game over.

No need to involve anyone else, just show Wilson that his antics will no longer be tolerated and he alone will pay the price.

Every time he does something dumb, it might mean the end of his career the next game.

Ryan Reaves almost did it and, if the refs didn't protect Wilson, I an sure Johnston would have taken care of him by now.

Sometimes there are just bad dudes, like Wilson, Matt Cooke, etc. and they need to be exiled for the good of the league. It is like cutting out a cancer.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

The Blackhawks last won in 2014-15, then handed out the enormous deals to Kane and Toews in 2015-16.

Not only haven't they won since, but thy have been forced to trade away players like Panarin, Saad (although they brought him back for a spell), Teravainen, etc. for pennies on the dollar.

And you ignored my original post that the Rags trading 4-5+ cheap assets on ELCs or just moving into bridge contracts, which they have spent years accumulating, would irreparably destroy their salary structure.

They would be spending $50+ million on like six players and that doesn't even include whatever Shesterkin gets on his next deal.

If the Sabres could swindle the Rags for their top young and cheap players, because Dolan is taking over, that is perhaps the best thing for their opponents.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Ever wonder why he’s never done TV before?
At this time in history they probably just want to hire someone who will never say anything controversial.

Never anything interesting either, but better to play it safe.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
At this time in history they probably just want to hire someone who will never say anything controversial.

Never anything interesting either, but better to play it safe.
TNT already hired bland Kenny Albert. Add Wayne Gretzky to the mix and you will be putting people to sleep during the broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad