News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21 Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Buchnevich tonight. He is not going to win the Lady Byng anytime soon. Stick and run. Heard Wilson didn't come back into the game after the slash. Not sure if that was an excuse to take him out of the game, or the slash took him out.

Good for Buch.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I had turned the game off by the time Mantha got hit in the head, did Mantha do something or was he randomly targeted? He's staring right at Buchnevich and seems prepared for it but that could just be because he had a clear line of vision.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Lafreniere has shown some moments this year that he could be a good player. Kakko has shown nothing since he's been drafted. Doesn't mean he won't be good, but...

This is the foundation of a trade you want to use to get one of the best centers in the league who will only be better once he's off the worst run franchise in the league?

Eichel and Panarin together wouldn't be far behind McDavid and Draisaitl as far as first lines go. Let's keep Eichel off the rangers please.

You are kidding, right? Eichel is a very good center, but he isn't even close to McDavid, Matthews, or even at the level of a Point, etc., who now has some injury issues. If the Rags overpay, I am all for it.

Trading away the Rags best, young low-cost players, Laf, Kakko, Lundkvist and a first of Buffalo's choosing plus Buch, who is a solid player, would decimate the Rags salary structure for years.

It will essentially be Eichel ($10 million AAV), Panarin ($11.65 million), Zibs (probably minimum of $8.5 million), Kreider ($6.5 million), Trouba ($8 million) and Fox (who let's say he gets the Pulock deal around $5.5 million on a bridge, before he HAS TO GET more than Trouba down the line).

That is just over $50 million for six (6) players!! And that is before Shesterkin hits RFA next season and gets his new contract.

It would be worse than Toronto in terms of an unbalanced and top-heavy team.

By the way, outside of individual awards, what have McDavid and Draisaitl won exactly?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It would cost them $20.6M per season in cap space for two players. Has that ever worked for a team?

I believe over $50+ million for like six players. That should work, right? Some people just don't get it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lafreniere has shown some moments this year that he could be a good player. Kakko has shown nothing since he's been drafted. Doesn't mean he won't be good, but...

This is the foundation of a trade you want to use to get one of the best centers in the league who will only be better once he's off the worst run franchise in the league?

Eichel and Panarin together wouldn't be far behind McDavid and Draisaitl as far as first lines go. Let's keep Eichel off the rangers please.
Stop. Just stop.

The Rangers built a team that cannot compete in their own division, be it the Metro or the Covid East. Adding a cranky forward like Eichel isn't going to put the Rangers over the top, it's just going to make them even more top heavy.

And what exactly have McDavid and Draisaitl done in 6 years together?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Rangers fined $250,000 for the statement. Crazy.
Meh. You knew that was coming.

When I read Dolan's statement the first words out of my mouth is this will cost them a lot of money.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Stop. Just stop.

The Rangers built a team that cannot compete in their own division, be it the Metro or the Covid East. Adding a cranky forward like Eichel isn't going to put the Rangers over the top, it's just going to make them even more top heavy.

And what exactly have McDavid and Draisaitl done in 6 years together?

I couldn't agree more, have the Rags piss away 5-6 cheap assets, say among a mix of Laff, Kakko, Miller, Lundkvist, Zac Jones, Kravtsov (and I am not even a fan of him as a player), first rounders, etc. and that rebuild gets "expedited" right into the trash heap.

Reactions: MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It would cost them $20.6M per season in cap space for two players. Has that ever worked for a team?

The Blackhawks with Kane and Toews 5 years ago. The issue now for them is that Toews has faded and they didn't draft nearly as well to replace the cheaper talent.

That said, Eichel is an elite player in the NHL equivalent of jail. He will still be at a top level when his current deal expires at the age of 29.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I couldn't agree more, have the Rags piss away 5-6 cheap assets, say among a mix of Laff, Kakko, Miller, Lundkvist, Zac Jones, Kravtsov (and I am not even a fan of him as a player), first rounders, etc. and that rebuild gets "expedited" right into the trash heap.
I bet they wish they had Neil Pionk back. Cheaper contract and more productive than Jacob Trouba.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Rangers fined $250,000 for the statement. Crazy.

I guess they were embellishing too. :sarcasm:

The Blackhawks with Kane and Toews 5 years ago. The issue now for them is that Toews has faded and they didn't draft nearly as well to replace the cheaper talent.

That said, Eichel is an elite player in the NHL equivalent of jail. He will still be at a top level when his current deal expires at the age of 29.

This is incorrect. Toews and Kane were earning $6.3M each when they last won the cup, it was that summer they got the big pay day.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Buchnevich tonight. He is not going to win the Lady Byng anytime soon. Stick and run. Heard Wilson didn't come back into the game after the slash. Not sure if that was an excuse to take him out of the game, or the slash took him out.

Good on him. I hope both got injured.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Buchnevich got suspended...

They're just sticking it to the Rags now
The league is just shooting themselves in the foot right now. They hire a former NHL goon to be head of player SAFETY, then suspend Buchnevich, but only fine that Neanderthal Wilson. The NHL made their bed and now have their panties all up in a wad, however it was THEIR lack of appropriate action that led to all these shenanigans.
Now I feel like I need to shower because I just defended the rangers....

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I had turned the game off by the time Mantha got hit in the head, did Mantha do something or was he randomly targeted? He's staring right at Buchnevich and seems prepared for it but that could just be because he had a clear line of vision.
that is what happens when DOPS doesn't do their job. other random players get hurt..

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
The fact that islander fans (myself included) are defending the rangers makes me feel like I’m living in the twilight zone

Attachments

• 472BE64B-9DD7-48BF-8288-91D47DF49FAA.jpeg
    472BE64B-9DD7-48BF-8288-91D47DF49FAA.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 3

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Some thoughts on the Caps-Rangers:

1.) Buch should not have been suspended.

2.) There is still a place in the game for muscle and you cannot build a team of skill players. When Lou passes on players such as Dzingel and signs guys like Martin there is a reason why. Barzal likely does not get thrown to the ice head first without his helmet and you can tell me I am wrong all you want. I am right and this video should be played on repeat during the offseason for the Rangers thought process in free agency.

3.) I don't think you should go after Wilson at all last night. Rangers did not have the fighters to take him out or beat anyone up fairly. You want the shit to stop with Wilson? The easy solution is to throw Backstrom into the ice as soon as he steps out. After that you start mouthing to Carlson he's next when he is not looking. And you wait for the perfect moment to go after Wilson when he has his guard down.

Call me a Neanderthal all you want but #3 is absolutely what needs to happen when Wilson was still smiling in the penalty box last night. They threw Panarin WITHOUT A HELMET into the ice head first. He could have been seriously injured. Embarrassing from the NHL, Caps, AND Rangers last night.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The correct call was made on Buch....The incorrect call made on Wilson. Absolute insane.

The league officials should be suspended 5 days and fined $500,000

Agree. Inconsistency is once again the name of the game when it comes to NHL discipline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad