Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Continue on...

Previous thread: News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21 Pt. IV

Last post from previous thread:

Best part about our fight night was that they crushed them on the score and in the fights. The Rags can't do either. Good for the guys who actually fought, and good on the Capitals for not matching them up against guys like Chara, but it's not really an intimidating thing if they aren't dragging Backstrom around the ice.

100% agree, he's not noticeable for me whenever I watch.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Refs just.... kicked out Chara??

And Agreed on our fight night being way better. Losing 3-0 takes some steam out of things here.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I gotta ask - what’s with this post limit stuff at 40 pages? I see other threads around here with many more than 40 pages. Hell rags game day is over 60.

We're told to close any thread over 1,000 posts, except for the GDTs.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Random thought. That NYR statement about the Wilson incident and calling out Parros did not seem like it was written by a professional PR person. It will be interesting someday to hear how that came about.

Reactions: CupHolders

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I wonder if Dolan asked who they could dress tonight who could stand up to Wilson, and the reply was "we don't have anyone". And that's what lead to Gorton getting canned....

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
The little Bagel Guy fighting the big guy who insulted him is a metaphor for the NYR game tonight.

Reactions: Olliemets

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Damn shame Gorton is gone, the gutless and top-heavy team he built would have kept them mired in mediocrity.

I hope they at least keep Gordie Clark.

And maybe now the NHL and Bill Daly will stop helping then out in the NHL draft lottery.

Those fights were laughable, most of the Raggies grinders got thumped all over the ice.

I wonder if Panarin is having second thoughts today on his decision of where to sign?

Reactions: MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Buchnevich tonight. He is not going to win the Lady Byng anytime soon. Stick and run. Heard Wilson didn't come back into the game after the slash. Not sure if that was an excuse to take him out of the game, or the slash took him out.

Reactions: Bronson

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Rags get thumped again with their pride at stake. That is a pathetic, gutless hockey team. At least take a run at Backstrom.
I don't think they did too badly.

Six fighting majors, including ones against Hathaway and Wilson, means they were at least trying.

All of Oshie's goals were either PP or EN. The Rags actually outscored them at even strength.

And if that slash was enough to knock Wilson out of the game, he's an even bigger wuss than I thought. I suspect it was 'heart' failure.

Reactions: Olliemets and Big L

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Just imagine if Dolan has FINALLY decided to take on a more active role with the Rags (like with the Knicks), Drury retains Quinn (sounds like they might be tight) AND Gordie Clark keeps burning draft picks?

This could be a meltdown of epic proportions.

If I am the Sabres GM, I am calling Dolan right now and offering Eichel for those two disappointments in Laf and Kakko plus Lundkvist (who hasn't even signed with their organization) and a first rounder (Sabres choice in 2021 or 2022).

We will also take the full Tony Deangelo contract off their hands and Buchnevich as well, in order to round out the money.

Just tell Dolan that Eichel could be the Rags new Patrick Ewing at center and the deal gets done. :sarcasm:

Reactions: MJF and crasherino

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Buchnevich tonight. He is not going to win the Lady Byng anytime soon. Stick and run. Heard Wilson didn't come back into the game after the slash. Not sure if that was an excuse to take him out of the game, or the slash took him out.

I don't blame him Buchnevich at all. The NHL set the tone, and endorsed indecipherable "unwritten rules." Who is to say what Buchnevich did wasn't gentlemanly?

For our sake, I hope the Rangers overreact. The toughness problem is fixable with complimentary players. If they focus on toughness as opposed to acquiring a #1C, it's definitely to our benefit.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just imagine if Dolan has FINALLY decided to take on a more active role with the Rags (like with the Knicks), Drury retains Quinn (sounds like they might be tight) AND Gordie Clark keeps burning draft picks?

If I am the Sabres GM, I am calling Dolan right now and offering Eichel for those two disappointments in Laf and Kakko plus Lundkvist (who hasn't even signed with their organization) and a first rounder (Sabres choice in 2021 or 2022).

We will also take the full Tony Deangelo contract off their hands and Buchnevich as well, in order to round out the money.

Just tell Dolan that Eichel could be the Rags new Patrick Ewing at center and the deal gets done. :sarcasm:
I hope Chris Drury doesn't change a thing behind the bench. I also hope he continues building from the Jeff Gorton blueprint. :nod:

Reactions: danteipp

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't blame him Buchnevich at all. The NHL set the tone, and endorsed indecipherable "unwritten rules." Who is to say what Buchnevich did wasn't gentlemanly?

For our sake, I hope the Rangers overreact. The toughness problem is fixable with complimentary players. If they focus on toughness as opposed to acquiring a #1C, it's definitely to our benefit.
You don't have to fight to be team tough. It helps when you have a couple of players that can handle themselves. I mentioned Gillies and Nystrom yesterday in a post. The Isles I recall were a very team tough team. It's a pack dog mentality. Luckily we have a coach and GM that know hockey is not won on a spreadsheet but with blood and guts. We have guys like Martin, Johnston, and Mayfield if we need to drop them. We have guys like Komarov, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, and Lee the Captain that play tough. Pulock and Pelech may as well throw them in there too. Even Barzal has a mean streak, though he needs to control his temper better at times. I am not a fan of sticking players, or crosschecking them to the face. To me, Buchnevich showed a cowardly streak there. Maybe he can't drop them, but I would have had a lot more respect for him if he dropped them with a player in his weight class, and even lost the fight. It's why I can't stand watching euro hockey, they don't fight, they settle things by sticking and running.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Random thought. That NYR statement about the Wilson incident and calling out Parros did not seem like it was written by a professional PR person. It will be interesting someday to hear how that came about.

Dolan will have to die first.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Lafreniere has shown some moments this year that he could be a good player. Kakko has shown nothing since he's been drafted. Doesn't mean he won't be good, but...

This is the foundation of a trade you want to use to get one of the best centers in the league who will only be better once he's off the worst run franchise in the league?

Eichel and Panarin together wouldn't be far behind McDavid and Draisaitl as far as first lines go. Let's keep Eichel off the rangers please.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Good god. Kenny Albert is one of the most boring announcers out there. Marv lite.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Lafreniere has shown some moments this year that he could be a good player. Kakko has shown nothing since he's been drafted. Doesn't mean he won't be good, but...

This is the foundation of a trade you want to use to get one of the best centers in the league who will only be better once he's off the worst run franchise in the league?

Eichel and Panarin together wouldn't be far behind McDavid and Draisaitl as far as first lines go. Let's keep Eichel off the rangers please.

It would cost them $20.6M per season in cap space for two players. Has that ever worked for a team?

Reactions: danteipp

crasherino

May 9, 2013
You don't have to fight to be team tough. It helps when you have a couple of players that can handle themselves. I mentioned Gillies and Nystrom yesterday in a post. The Isles I recall were a very team tough team. It's a pack dog mentality. Luckily we have a coach and GM that know hockey is not won on a spreadsheet but with blood and guts. We have guys like Martin, Johnston, and Mayfield if we need to drop them. We have guys like Komarov, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, and Lee the Captain that play tough. Pulock and Pelech may as well throw them in there too. Even Barzal has a mean streak, though he needs to control his temper better at times. I am not a fan of sticking players, or crosschecking them to the face. To me, Buchnevich showed a cowardly streak there. Maybe he can't drop them, but I would have had a lot more respect for him if he dropped them with a player in his weight class, and even lost the fight. It's why I can't stand watching euro hockey, they don't fight, they settle things by sticking and running.

I don't hate what Buchnevich did. Under ordinary circumstances, sure - you don't pull that shit. But last night, all bets were off. If a Caps player got hurt because of something the Rags did, maybe that guy would go over to Wilson and tell him to knock his shit off - it has consequences beyond just him.

If I were the Rags, I would have targeted Oshie and Backstrom all night long. I would be taking the extra step and plastering those guys every time I had the chance. Sure, drop the gloves at the opening bell...fine. But it took 5 fights to even get a draw. Not much retribution in getting your ass handed to you in a line brawl. The Pens were laughing at the Islanders after Ricky goes down? A week later, they weren't laughing too hard.

The guys on the Caps are complicit at this point. There are tons of veterans who have come through that lockerroom who could have pulled Wilson aside over the years and demand he clean up his game. Maybe its happened....I'm not there. But it hasn't had any effect. So, in my mind, you want to exact punishment, take Oshie and Backstrom down hard. After what happened to your star player, there's no more "fair fight".

If that were the Islanders, Cal would have made it painful for the opposing team. Real painful. Even without dropping the gloves. If you take an extra step....hit a guy when he's not quite turned around? Whaddyagonna do? That's hockey. They'll no doubt be none too please with their own teammate.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad