News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Brett Connolly on waivers. If the Isles could fit his 3.5 into their cost structure (which they can't), I'd definitely grab him. Not sure why he's having an off year in Fla.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Brett Connolly on waivers. If the Isles could fit his 3.5 into their cost structure (which they can't), I'd definitely grab him. Not sure why he's having an off year in Fla.

I'd take a chance on him if we had the cap, he did well under Trotz in Washington, but again you removing Wahlstrom for him?

Reactions: bigtim1988

JRD76

Aug 11, 2013
Played well under trotz. Shoots right. Push wally next to brock, have Bailey play left and connolly on the right on 3rd line. Won't happen though. Maybe he doesn't play well in an offensive system?

Reactions: beach

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I have fond memories of Frans Neilsen. It is hard to believe it has been 4+ years since Snow let Frans along with Kyle Okposo walk without any compensation. Great foreshadowing or what was to come with JT. Snow went all in on Andrew Ladd at this point and Ryan Strome was slotted to become a first line winger with Ladd. On paper back then those decisions didn’t seem to be as terrible as they turned out.

You cannot forget, the Islanders were in a poor position to trade away such important assets as Frans and KO at the trade deadline in the midst of their second straight 100 point season which led to their first playoff series win in decades, but July 2016 certainly was the beginning of the decline that eventually led to Garth Snow’s departure as he clearly learned nothing from those decisions as JT was able to pack up a few years later for nothing in return.

I recall Frans was one of my favorite players at that time. He was a very effective two way center, maybe even among the top 3-4 shutdown centers in the entire league for a few seasons.

I would be very interested to hear what people think in terms of comparisons of JG Pageau who I view as in his prime right now vs Frans Nielsen in his prime or just past it back then, straight up.

What the Islanders paid to get Pageau as opposed to getting nothing for Nielsen, KO and JT summed up well this franchise under the Wang/Snow + Brooklyn fiasco.

All that said, the Islanders were a pretty good team back then and some of the quality players they have now were just getting started.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
:help:
That drafting prowess of TB we are told to follow around here...
So in your mind unless every pick is a home run a team's "drafting prowess" is in question? We can be pleased with how things are going on that front of late, and we should be, but not sure I'd be throwing too many darts TB's way just yet.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Top four won, bottom four lost. At least they were all regulation, and we're keeping pace.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I have fond memories of Frans Neilsen. It is hard to believe it has been 4+ years since Snow let Frans along with Kyle Okposo walk without any compensation.
I recall Frans was one of my favorite players at that time. He was a very effective two way center, maybe even among the top 3-4 shutdown centers in the entire league for a few seasons.

I would be very interested to hear what people think in terms of comparisons of JG Pageau who I view as in his prime right now vs Frans Nielsen in his prime or just past it back then, straight up.

Franzie and JGP have some similarities. JGP a lot tougher with a streak of nasty in his game. Franz seemed to wear down and get outmuscled in Playoffs- Letting Kutznetzov dance around him then drag him around half the o-zone before scoring in Game 7 mid-decade a prime example. Loved Franzie. Snow really screwed up letting 3 guys walk for nothing that year.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
So in your mind unless every pick is a home run a team's "drafting prowess" is in question? We can be pleased with how things are going on that front of late, and we should be, but not sure I'd be throwing too many darts TB's way just yet.
Nope, it's been proffered that TB was some draft darling and had amazing first round selections under Yzerman...And Lou should follow that model. Its a little laughable when the baseline is TB yet,
absent the bubble Cup, TB won nothing with or without Yzerman.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Nope, it's been proffered that TB was some draft darling and had amazing first round selections under Yzerman...And Lou should follow that model. Its a little laughable when the baseline is TB yet,
absent the bubble Cup, TB won nothing with or without Yzerman.
The only thing laughable is your post. Cherry picking one miss does not tell the story. No team drafts perfectly and there will always be oversights, but it is a given that knowledgeable hockey people would look at TB's record of generally consistent excellence over the past 6+ seasons and conclude that they have in done extremely well with drafting as a whole, not to mention the overall management of their franchise. Let's hope that the Isles have done and will do at least as well in the years ahead.

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The only thing laughable is your post. Cherry picking one miss does not tell the story. No team drafts perfectly and there will always be oversights, but it is a given that knowledgeable hockey people would look at TB's record of generally consistent excellence over the past 6+ seasons and conclude that they have in done extremely well with drafting as a whole, not to mention the overall management of their franchise. Let's hope that the Isles have done and will do at least as well in the years ahead.

But it’s not cherry picking. The basis of that post was a counter to the assertions made previously on this site that Tampa was model of a Cup winner built from high picks. But factually that’s incorrect.

Brett Connolly is actually emblematic of Tampa’s first round successes.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
But it’s not cherry picking. The basis of that post was a counter to the assertions made previously on this site that Tampa was model of a Cup winner built from high picks. But factually that’s incorrect.

Brett Connolly is actually emblematic of Tampa’s first round successes.
The topic as I read it was and is about draft success and few teams have done it better over the past 10 years. That Throttle wanted to nitpick and play gotcha because someone got their GMs wrong doesn't change that fact, so beyond Stamkos, Hedman, Vasilevskiy, three first round picks and probable HOFers at the core of TBs consistent success for the past six seasons and without whom they almost assuredly don't win a Cup, there are all of the other later picks such as Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, etc. TB is a model of drafting well to build a winner. That may not mean winning the Cup every year, there are other factors involved not the least of which is coaching, and it does not mean that you don't have to trade and supplement well, but they are and have been a genuine threat to do so largely because of the draft, especially their high draft picks, Brett Connolly or no Brett Connolly.

Last edited:
Reactions: road islander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad