News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Rags made all sorts of deals that worked out well to get that Cup. The Laffs are not comparable to that '94 team.

No defense and sub par goaltending as a result do not go far in the playoffs no matter how much offensive firepower a team has.

8 former oilers on that team.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I really like Mathews too both prior to and after draft. However that summer off ice incident was too embarrassing for me to have full respect for him anymore. Maybe in time I will cheer for him again. It is sort of like Patrick Kane, I really liked him as a player before that taxi incident with his cousin. I still value him as a top NHL forward but can't really say he will be among my favorite all time NHL players and will only cheer for him if he somehow play for Isles one day.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
I really like Mathews too both prior to and after draft. However that summer off ice incident was too embarrassing for me to have full respect for him anymore. Maybe in time I will cheer for him again. It is sort of like Patrick Kane, I really liked him as a player before that taxi incident with his cousin. I still value him as a top NHL forward but can't really say he will be among my favorite all time NHL players and will only cheer for him if he somehow play for Isles one day.
What exactly did either do that was considerably bad to lose respect for them?

Its all opinionated so by all means; but young people make mistakes

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Rags made all sorts of deals that worked out well to get that Cup. The Laffs are not comparable to that '94 team.

No defense and sub par goaltending as a result do not go far in the playoffs no matter how much offensive firepower a team has.
In horseracing handicapping terms, the Leafs form is all dressed up this year. @MJF will get that. 3 games against Ottawa in a row, playing weaker defensive teams and teams in general will do that 1. Whoever wins the North, is going to be in for a shock when they play a real team in the semi finals. If I were the Islanders and make it that far, I would hope to match up with the North winner. Beating up on inferior competition does mean much until you face 1 of the better teams in the NHL.

Reactions: The Real JT and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
In horseracing handicapping terms, the Leafs form is all dressed up this year. @MJF will get that. 3 games against Ottawa in a row, playing weaker defensive teams and teams in general will do that 1. Whoever wins the North, is going to be in for a shock when they play a real team in the semi finals. If I were the Islanders and make it that far, I would hope to match up with the North winner. Beating up on inferior competition does mean much until you face 1 of the better teams in the NHL.
Yep. The Leafs are getting class relief by playing in the North. Gonna be a rude awakening for them when they have to run against Stakes horses instead of the cheaper company they’re keeping now.

Green

Nov 13, 2019

They are prob going to get to the conference finals given how weak the North is, and from there it is anyone's guess, guys like Spezza Thornton and Simmonds have to be considered good pick ups, as said given they haven't won in 50+ years and all those Ontario guys I am sure they are going to be really motivated come the playoffs

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
BTW incase anyone missed it, Tavares finally scored his 2nd even strength goal of the season last night with mins to go in a 7-3 game. Keefe had to move Marner to his wing to get him off the snide. Seems JT was not happy not being part of the party against the Sens. Now that he got on the scoresheet, stats padded, he can stop sulking. I am serious, the guy was sulking shaking his head in a blow out against the Sens until he scored. Captain I or me.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
They are prob going to get to the conference finals given how weak the North is, and from there it is anyone's guess, guys like Spezza Thornton and Simmonds have to be considered good pick ups, as said given they haven't won in 50+ years and all those Ontario guys I am sure they are going to be really motivated come the playoffs

That certainly is a possibility. Their golden boy Freddie can stand on his head sometimes too. When 4 teams are left anything is possible. Still not going to pencil them beating the Habs or even the Oilers

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
BTW incase anyone missed it, Tavares finally scored his 2nd even strength goal of the season last night with mins to go in a 7-3 game. Keefe had to move Marner to his wing to get him off the snide. Seems JT was not happy not being part of the party against the Sens. Now that he got on the scoresheet, stats padded, he can stop sulking. I am serious, the guy was sulking shaking his head in a blow out against the Sens until he scored. Captain I or me.
Robots can't sulk.

Really, how can anyone tell when he's sulking? He has that same look all the time.

Reactions: JKP

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Robots can't sulk.

Really, how can anyone tell when he's sulking? He has that same look all the time.

This narrative is getting a little tiring for me. People are scrutinizing his looks and making jumps as to what he's feeling inside? Come on guys... let the grudge go. Tavares is a serious competitor and expects a lot from himself. He probably thought he wasn't having as good of a game as he wished. He's super hard on himself, hence the robotic comments. Taking this anything past that is getting a little silly.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I tried to find a clip but no luck.

Leafs' GDT said it was a long shot and a soft goal FWIW.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
This narrative is getting a little tiring for me. People are scrutinizing his looks and making jumps as to what he's feeling inside? Come on guys... let the grudge go. Tavares is a serious competitor and expects a lot from himself. He probably thought he wasn't having as good of a game as he wished. He's super hard on himself, hence the robotic comments. Taking this anything past that is getting a little silly.
We're the jilted lover.
We're not supposed to be friends.

If your point is that there's more to talk about other than him, you'd be right.

How about Bolduc and Dufour lighting it up in their respective leagues?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I tried to find a clip but no luck.

Leafs' GDT said it was a long shot and a soft goal FWIW.
Here you go, JT padding stats when game was already over. Goal had no bearing on the game. That 11M dollar contract is already aging badly. Ottawa is bad. Feel for them, but they have a bright future in a few years.

Reactions: The Real JT

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
Robots can't sulk.

Funny, I watched the previous TML game and he mishandled two passes at the blue line at the exact same spot within just a few minutes. The first one led to a bad turnover and rush the other way and the second he put himself offsides. With the play stoppage they zoomed in on him and all I could think of was “pouty robot”.

Now, I agree it’s super subtle but it’s like seeing Rosie from the Jetsons be happy, sad, excited, etc.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
We're the jilted lover.
We're not supposed to be friends.

If your point is that there's more to talk about other than him, you'd be right.

How about Bolduc and Dufour lighting it up in their respective leagues?

Yes I get it. My point was more that, fine if you want to hold a grudge and laugh at his failures, that's your prerogative (not you specifically). But if you want to make up some narrative by inferring his body language, I think you are trying to find things that aren't there and it's a sad look.

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
IDK, certain grudges far outlive the athlete. The Potvin S*cks is still going strong 30 years after retirement. I suspect this one will not go away. Let me ask you this, do you think of Dale Hunter as a solid heart and soul sandpaper player who chipped in some goals?

As for the intensity, Jordan may have been the most intense athlete I ever watched and he still got the slogan “Be like Mike” not “Be like a robot”.

Reactions: JKP and MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes I get it. My point was more that, fine if you want to hold a grudge and laugh at his failures, that's your prerogative (not you specifically). But if you want to make up some narrative by inferring his body language, I think you are trying to find things that aren't there and it's a sad look.
I respectfully disagree. I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to hold a grudge, many just find him an overrated stats focused player making 11M. It was my observation, IMO he was sulking because he didn't score in a blow out game. That's how he is wired, and why I am glad he is no longer an Islander. Certainly the coach noticed and put him with Marner the last 10 mins of the game, so JT could break the goose egg. He has been taking heat for not scoring, and the giveaway on Monday led to the Sens comeback has just fuelled the criticism.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I respectfully disagree. I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to hold a grudge, many just find him an overrated stats focused player making 11M. It was my observation, IMO he was sulking because he didn't score in a blow out game. That's how he is wired, and why I am glad he is no longer an Islander. Certainly the coach noticed and put him with Marner the last 10 mins of the game, so JT could break the goose egg. He has been taking heat for not scoring, and the giveaway on Monday led to the Sens comeback has just fuelled the criticism.

Also, respectfully disagree and I'm glad we can keep this civil. I just think people are looking for things that aren't there because you have a magnifying glass on him. And not because he makes 11MM, but because of what happened between him and the Isles. Haven't heard a lick on these boards about any other highly paid player struggling.

I can come up with a number of narratives as to why he was 'sulking' and why Keefe put him with Marner. The Occam's Razor version of it is that Tavares is demanding of himself and knows his play hasn't been great 5 on 5, and Keefe needs his 11M center to be playing well in order for the Leafs to go far. A giant cold stretch that hurts confidence is not a good thing, so he puts him in a position to succeed. Kind of just sounds like a coaching move to me and less about this narrative that Tavares is going to cry if he doesn't get his points.

Is he overpaid? Yup. Will his contract suck at the end? Yup. Should he play well without being fed linemates and good situations? Yup. Does it make sense for the Leafs to continue to get the most out of each of their players, especially the ones that take up a huge chunk of the cap, by any means necessary. Yup.

I feel like your looking at a benign picture of your ex and then saying look at her smile, she's only half smiling, I bet she's depressed. And look at her arm angle, she looks uncomfortable and probably doesn't even want to be where she is. It's getting a little to childish for me.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Also, respectfully disagree and I'm glad we can keep this civil. I just think people are looking for things that aren't there because you have a magnifying glass on him. And not because he makes 11MM, but because of what happened between him and the Isles. Haven't heard a lick on these boards about any other highly paid player struggling.

I can come up with a number of narratives as to why he was 'sulking' and why Keefe put him with Marner. The Occam's Razor version of it is that Tavares is demanding of himself and knows his play hasn't been great 5 on 5, and Keefe needs his 11M center to be playing well in order for the Leafs to go far. A giant cold stretch that hurts confidence is not a good thing, so he puts him in a position to succeed. Kind of just sounds like a coaching move to me and less about this narrative that Tavares is going to cry if he doesn't get his points.

Is he overpaid? Yup. Will his contract suck at the end? Yup. Should he play well without being fed linemates and good situations? Yup. Does it make sense for the Leafs to continue to get the most out of each of their players, especially the ones that take up a huge chunk of the cap, by any means necessary. Yup.

I feel like your looking at a benign picture of your ex and then saying look at her smile, she's only half smiling, I bet she's depressed. And look at her arm angle, she looks uncomfortable and probably doesn't even want to be where she is. It's getting a little to childish for me.
We can definitely be civil. This is a great board with great opinions. My take, and it's just mine. This is a Around the League thread. We joke a lot, take pleasure in other team's misfortunes and yes Tavares misfortunes also. There are some that have moved on, some that are still very angry, some that are indifferent. I have moved on, but will still comment on him when I have an observation, since I know some still follow his fortunes or misfortunes to be more precise. We disagree again, this is fine. I don't see this as anything other than you are at a bar watching a game with your fellow Isles fans. As I and another poster chatted here the other say, there will never be any sympathy from either of us. It may sound crude, but it's just expressing how we feel.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
We can definitely be civil. This is a great board with great opinions. My take, and it's just mine. This is a Around the League thread. We joke a lot, take pleasure in other team's misfortunes and yes Tavares misfortunes also. There are some that have moved on, some that are still very angry, some that are indifferent. I have moved on, but will still comment on him when I have an observation, since I know some still follow his fortunes or misfortunes to be more precise. We disagree again, this is fine. I don't see this as anything other than you are at a bar watching a game with your fellow Isles fans. As I and another poster chatted here the other say, there will never be any sympathy from either of us. It may sound crude, but it's just expressing how we feel.

Totally agree on the conversation here. This is the equivalent of having a beer at the bar and having a difference of opinion. Makes this place a lot more tolerable and informative when we can talk like this. And Tavares will never get any sympathy from me, but it kind of stops there. My sports fandom has evolved as I got older and what really matters to me and what doesn't. It's similar to the rivalry with the Rangers. Frankly, I don't really care anymore for various reasons. I still dislike them, don't want them to win, etc. -- but I just don't care as much.

Either way, cheers. And get off my tail on the FGOTG leaderboard thank you very much.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Im indifferent. Although i still hope he never wins a thing. Which i dont think he will.

My new guilty pleasure is watching the failures of the latest 2 saviors laf and kakko. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad