News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
BTW incase anyone missed it, Tavares finally scored his 2nd even strength goal of the season last night with mins to go in a 7-3 game. Keefe had to move Marner to his wing to get him off the snide. Seems JT was not happy not being part of the party against the Sens. Now that he got on the scoresheet, stats padded, he can stop sulking. I am serious, the guy was sulking shaking his head in a blow out against the Sens until he scored. Captain I or me.
Tavares always had a maddening habit of disappearing. It got better in time. I remember he disappeared for like 40 games as a rookie, then got hot near the end of the season. 2nd year it was like 30 games. Then got it down to 20, and now he usually disappears for 10 games. He’s gotten more consistent, but it can drive a fan crazy.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Tavares always had a maddening habit of disappearing. It got better in time. I remember he disappeared for like 40 games as a rookie, then got hot near the end of the season. 2nd year it was like 30 games. Then got it down to 20, and now he usually disappears for 10 games. He’s gotten more consistent, but it can drive a fan crazy.

It was always magnified by him trying to do way too much all the time. He's definitely bad captain material with his entirely internal mindset that comes off as robotic.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20210220_050636.jpg

"Sabretooth we are very worried about the way things are going and have decided to hire you a life coach to help get things back on track."

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I respectfully disagree. I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to hold a grudge, many just find him an overrated stats focused player making 11M. It was my observation, IMO he was sulking because he didn't score in a blow out game. That's how he is wired, and why I am glad he is no longer an Islander. Certainly the coach noticed and put him with Marner the last 10 mins of the game, so JT could break the goose egg. He has been taking heat for not scoring, and the giveaway on Monday led to the Sens comeback has just fuelled the criticism.
I’m intentionally holding a grudge against him. :)

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Don't see the connection between the two. The robotic comments are due to an IQ probably in the 90's. Do you remember the the TV show "My Name is Earl"? Tavares is Earl's brother Randy blessed with hockey skills.

Oh hell no. Way too much fun. :laugh:

In the 90s? I guess. :laugh: Probably more to do that he was groomed to be a PC robot since he was 12. You know, the same lines we used to use to defend him when he was here.

I'm never going to root for this dude ever again because of how he handled leaving here. He f***ed us over and I hope he never wins. I'm just not going to make up shit about him and infer what he's thinking. These things can coexist.

Like I said, people around here can pretend that they weren't begging and praying for him to stay. We dodged a bullet because he's (1) not worth $11MM (2) not a good captain and (3) is declining heavily because of his skating versus the trajectory of the league. I'm not going to rewrite history and say that we weren't huge fans when he was here and that we didn't want him to stay. I'm an adult and I can admit that.

Reactions: Strummergas

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Crosby could go on waivers and I don’t think any team could claim without immediately selling salary

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

He's probably sharpening up his coaching skills for his return to the NHL. I don't know if he can while he is still being paid handsomely by the Leafs. Maybe he is biding his time, but he will be back. I know teams will look past that Marner incident, which was really 100% on Babcock. But coaches of his record, usually find a 2nd chance. It's funny, he was super complimentary to Lou and Hunter when he left, not surprisingly not so much to Dumbass and Shanahan.

Reactions: SI90

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
The Capitals Shannon Hogan is better than our Shannon Hogan.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
He’s had a shitty start but he had a good year last year and he’s a beast on faceoffs.

His Cap hit is almost 6mil for another 3 years after this. I don’t see anyone claiming him unless and bad contract swap can be worked out.

Agreed, I took a quick look at some of the underlying numbers and Henrique's even-strength corsi and fenwick stats still appear inline with last season. His faceoff percentage is at almost 57%, a career high, and his shooting percentage is just a couple points under his career average.

What stands out is Henrique just appears to be getting unlucky right now and he is just NOT shooting the puck. He only has 22 shots in 16 games played. Not exactly a prolific shooter to begin with, that is one shot per game less than last season.

The other number that stands out is that for a player dominating faceoffs, his role in the defensive zone appears to have slipped from his prior usage.

Does anyone know if Henrique suffered some type of injury, presumably an upper-body injury like a shoulder, that would be hampering his shooting, strength along the boards and ability to win puck battles? One thing is that when a shoulder goes bad, it is very hard to fix or get right.

I agree with others that there simply isn't room for Henrique on the Isles, without moving out at least Ladd and probably someone like Hickey or Uncle Leo right now.

The Isles need to clear cap space for at least two seasons, not add, and then it would mean shifting someone like Brock back to wing or try Henrique on the wing.

If the Kraken really like Henrique, it would make sense for Seattle to potentially do a handshake deal with a team under the salary cap. Ask them to claim Henrique now and agree to make him the player they select in the expansion draft. That would be a win for both teams.

Reactions: SI90

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Check out the Tahoe game. My wife's family has a lake house minutes away and we live about 45 minutes from the site. Look me up if any of you come out for a visit. Too bad there are no fans allowed at the game.
LGI against the dirty birds tonight!

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
With respect to Henrique, one team I could see possibly being interested is the Bruins. Krejci is a free agent after this season and 34 years old. I assume they have initiated extension talks with him and know the cost in terms of years and $$$.

If Krejci is asking for more than a season or two, they could claim Henrique now. I believe they have about $3.5 million in cap space, which would add to their forward depth this season, then let Krejci walk (or at least hurt his bargaining power with them) and get a little younger down the middle with Henrique.

Of course I bet Gorton and the Raggies are also calling Anaheim, desperately trying to flip DeAngelo+ for Henrique. Hopefully the Ducks don't bite unless they can extort a ton from the Rags. Really make it hurt.

Sure we will take the DeAngelo headache off your hands and give you a center you desperately need, but the starting point is something like Nils Lundvist+ or your (protected) 2021 first rounder or (unprotected) 2022 first rounder.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Wow that’s really cool to play right in the edge of Lake Tahoe

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I've seen some on Islestwitter saying we should pick him up. We have no place to play him. We have no cap space for him either.
Yeah. If he was cheaper maybe, but we can't afford him. Overpaid by about 3 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad