News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19 Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
To me, this all speaks volumes for Bacock as a coach. If I was the manager of some company and the CEO kept coming up to me telling me to hire better employees...I'd throw it right back at him and tell him to get more from the employees he's been given. I think it's actually quite damning of Babcock to have the roster he has and still be shouting "give me moar!!!!". This whole thing makes me have less respect for Babcock than any feelings about Dubas.

It'll look *totally awesome* for a 33 year old first year GM to lecture a veteran cup-winning, double gold medal winning olympic coach. I think you'd be a great manager, and your employees would lurve you.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It’s crazy though how good Tampa is.
When you think in terms of the traditional strengths of goal (one of the league's best), defense (the best defenseman) and center (top 3 duo), they're pretty well set up.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
When you think in terms of the traditional strengths of goal (one of the league's best), defense (the best defenseman) and center (top 3 duo), they're pretty well set up.

They’re built perfectly. Legit #1 starting goalie. Legit #1 defenseman. Legit #1 center(2 of those) legit #1 scoring winger.

And then the defense is deep and forward depth is deep too. They’re deep down the middle with 3 awesomen centers Point Stamkos and Johnson.

They’re stacked.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
anyone see Washington play the bolts last night? They looked hungry and gave Tampa a dose of physical play. Think the caps will be tough to beat. Kind of hoping we get the PENS round one if we make the dance. Pick your poison I guess

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
anyone see Washington play the bolts last night? They looked hungry and gave Tampa a dose of physical play. Think the caps will be tough to beat. Kind of hoping we get the PENS round one if we make the dance. Pick your poison I guess

I watched it. That’s the best of the best going at it. I think it’s a safe bet that one of TBL/BOS/WSH
Will be representing the east in the Stanley and most likely cup winner.

Whoever we play in the first round I love that guys like Barzal will be getting playoff experience. We need to learn how to play playoff hockey and in that atmosphere.

Reactions: CupHolders

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Their defense was porous early on but they've definitely kicked it into another gear plus their PP is absolutely deadly. Pittsburgh team defense is weaker but agree, dont want to face a Crosby, maybe Malkin, Kessel & Letang. Carolina are newbies to playoff hockey but they always play us tough, same with Jackets. If I had to choose, I'd have to go with Canes, with unproven goaltending
Well...Both Malkin and Filppula are out roughly 4 weeks. So those guys are a wash - effectively cancelling each other out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's amazing, to win you need a mixed bag. Babcock isn't wrong on that. Needs some heavy players.

Yeah, it's a reason why I think the Dumbass/Babcock partnership is doomed in the long run. Wonder kid thinks you can win with a bunch of skilled smurfs, and Babcock rightfully knows through experience you need both skill and players that can play heavy and don't mind getting dirty. You just have to look at TB, and Washington last year when they won the cup.

It's too bad the Isles don't play the Laffs in the first rd. 10-1. 2 wins to 0 do not lie. Isles have had their way with Judas and the Laffs this year.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
It was no secret, Babcock was more in sync with Lou and Mark Hunter. I think there is a clear inference from Babcock when he speaks of a longing for a right handed D man, or his team to play heavier as the GM young Dumbass of not getting him the players he needs to win with.

The Isles got really lucky in my mind, Lou and Barry just happened to both be available this summer. It has singlehandly changed the fortunes of this franchise.

TOR media is starting to get on them too. Could be a heck of an implosion.

Lou bringing in Trotz and co was the best thing to happen to this org since the cups.

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Pretty eye-opening just how scarce the 1.00 A/GP is for wingers. Jagr, Guy and Boss twice apiece, and now Kucherov once, and likely with the record.

Watched most of TB-WSH last night. Caps carried the play hard, obviously (2:1 shots ratio), but I saw a dozen plays from Kuch that no #58 pick should ever be able to pull off. Season for the ages, really.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
It'll look *totally awesome* for a 33 year old first year GM to lecture a veteran cup-winning, double gold medal winning olympic coach. I think you'd be a great manager, and your employees would lurve you.

Still sour haha!! :ha:

Yeah, I mean only nowadays does being the boss mean you aren't really the boss :huh:. I do manage employees, and they like me way better than my boss. But you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how far-fetched it may be.

And let's be real here, this isn't the NYI with glaring holes. This is a team with Matthews, Nylander, Tr91tor, Marner, Reilly. I don't care how many cups you've won, you need to shut up and win with a roster like that. If you can't, it's not about adding more talent it's about shipping out the talent that is stopping the winning mentality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Instant

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Pretty eye-opening just how scarce the 1.00 A/GP is for wingers. Jagr, Guy and Boss twice apiece, and now Kucherov once, and likely with the record.

Watched most of TB-WSH last night. Caps carried the play hard, obviously (2:1 shots ratio), but I saw a dozen plays from Kuch that no #58 pick should ever be able to pull off. Season for the ages, really.

Amazing that Bossy did it twice. Shows you that even though he’s one of the greatest pure goal scorers of All Time he was also a great playmaker.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Columbus and Carolina lose in regulation last night. Last week at this time we were going crazy over two big regulation wins over Columbus and Montreal. Let's hope that they can do that this weekend against Philly and Arizona.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
man Columbus is on the hot seat. We most likely get in but i'm concerned we get bent over in 4 to whomever we play. It has to start with the vets. Bailey, Lee, Nelson, Eberle, Leddy, Ladd, Leo, Clutterbuck, Martin, Cizakis , Boychuk, Hickey, Griess and co. All playoff experience.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Still sour haha!! :ha:

No, but you seem to have a predilection for obviously wrong opinions. Like wanting an unrepentant domestic abuser playing for your team, or discounting the point of view of a winning coach in favor of a first year GM. Not that these are really comparable in egregiousness, but there's a pattern of judgment.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On a day that Isles fans probably don't feel too good.

Here is something to cheer you up.

From Friedman's 31 thoughts. I have to laugh at the Laffs. This started with the 'we don't need you' game.

Friedman ended things by saying that since the Tavares-Islanders game, things have been very tense, and it's a question worth asking of whether a separation may happen.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How long does he have on his contract? He makes a lot of dough to just be paid to leave...
It is, but as Chelios calls him, the politician Shanahan will have to answer that to ownership. Maybe he loses his job too? He is the one that decided to make wonderless kid Dumbass the GM over 2 more qualified GM candidates. Lou and Mark Hunter.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can't see Babcock losing his job. Not yet anyway.

Babcock is not happy. Friedman said this, but one could easily deduce this themselves, when you read his lobbying for a heavier team, when Dumbass traded for Petan, more small skill over Lindholm. And he didn't address the right defence gap, and the lack of depth Babcock wanted. You can see the storm clouds on the horizon. Ironically getting tenser when the Isles trounced the Leafs. One thing I do know, is Babcock, Lou and Hunter had a great working relationship. This is now gone with the hiring of Dubas. It may not be a firing, but a mutually divorce of the 2. Who wins? Is anyone's guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad