News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19 Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Considering how they match up with Boston, tonight was the isles' toughest matchup left in the regular season.

Coupled with the fact that tonight vs NJD was also the caps' easiest game left in the season. Every other game they have from now on is either against a team currently in the playoffs or at least in the race.

So being 2 behind them with 9 games left isn't too bad all things considered. Obviously the isles turning in their worst performance of the season tonight isn't great, but hopefully that can be chalked up to Boston and they get back to their winning ways vs MTL. Winning the division is still very doable if they get their act together.
The problem is they’ve rarely had their act together since the all star break.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
"[T]he Leafs head coach expressed his unhappiness about the options available to him with just three weeks to go before the start of the playoffs.

“The thing about a team is you’ve got 23 spots on it and you’ve got a minor league team and you’re supposed to build the best program you can to have as much depth as you can, so you don’t miss people,” Babcock said on Tuesday. “If you have enough, you don’t miss a beat and you keep on going. There are other teams that have done a better job when different players are out than we have keeping on going. That just tells you what state you’re at, and you have to just keep adding better players.”

...many have also taken this statement as a criticism of GM Kyle Dubas. Dubas did not follow the same path that Lou Lamoriello did the last two years, addressing a need Babcock was asking for. "

HockeyBuzz.com - Mike Augello - Babcock sounds off on team depth; Leafs vs. Preds

Sounds like Boy Genius not geniusing enough for his coach's taste. :laugh:

Reactions: PWJunior and MJF

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I’m not surprised at Nylander’s lack of production. He’s somewhat of a smaller guy and often time we will see this with smaller players who don’t really ever reach elite status. They can have a big first year or two and then usually get neutralized after that. See Jeff Skinner as an example. He’s since had a good season but he really was a pedestrian player for the majority of the last 6-7 years after he had that great first season
For the 7 seasons between his first season and this season, Skinner ranks 21st in the league in goals. I wouldn't call that pedestrian, personally, especially when you consider what he had to play with.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
"[T]he Leafs head coach expressed his unhappiness about the options available to him with just three weeks to go before the start of the playoffs.

“The thing about a team is you’ve got 23 spots on it and you’ve got a minor league team and you’re supposed to build the best program you can to have as much depth as you can, so you don’t miss people,” Babcock said on Tuesday. “If you have enough, you don’t miss a beat and you keep on going. There are other teams that have done a better job when different players are out than we have keeping on going. That just tells you what state you’re at, and you have to just keep adding better players.”

...many have also taken this statement as a criticism of GM Kyle Dubas. Dubas did not follow the same path that Lou Lamoriello did the last two years, addressing a need Babcock was asking for. "

HockeyBuzz.com - Mike Augello - Babcock sounds off on team depth; Leafs vs. Preds

Wait. Is it possible that some of those slugs everyone despised in Toronto (Zaitsev, Leo, Marleau) are guys that the head coach requested and that Lou wasn’t just some crazy old coot stuck in the 1990s?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Kyle Dumbass reminds me of ex Laffs GM JFJ junior 2.0. Inexperienced and out of his depth. Shanahan made a mistake not rehiring Lou, and in the process lost Mark Hunter who could not work for Dumbass because he didn't respect him. This gif says it all.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

I personally find Babcock overrated but to be fair to him, you and your GM need to be on the same page.

It's like Trotz and Lou, look at how Trotz has managed the roles. I think that's Babcocks issue, Dubas might be forcing a skilled guy for a grinder role.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I’m not surprised at Nylander’s lack of production. He’s somewhat of a smaller guy and often time we will see this with smaller players who don’t really ever reach elite status. They can have a big first year or two and then usually get neutralized after that. See Jeff Skinner as an example. He’s since had a good season but he really was a pedestrian player for the majority of the last 6-7 years after he had that great first season

I think this was true in the past but not today's game. Guys like Gaudreau and Kane are proof.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I personally find Babcock overrated but to be fair to him, you and your GM need to be on the same page.

It's like Trotz and Lou, look at how Trotz has managed the roles. I think that's Babcocks issue, Dubas might be forcing a skilled guy for a grinder role.

It was no secret, Babcock was more in sync with Lou and Mark Hunter. I think there is a clear inference from Babcock when he speaks of a longing for a right handed D man, or his team to play heavier as the GM young Dumbass of not getting him the players he needs to win with.

The Isles got really lucky in my mind, Lou and Barry just happened to both be available this summer. It has singlehandly changed the fortunes of this franchise.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
It was no secret, Babcock was more in sync with Lou and Mark Hunter. I think there is a clear inference from Babcock when he speaks of a longing for a right handed D man, or his team to play heavier as the GM young Dumbass of not getting him the players he needs to win with.

The Isles got really lucky in my mind, Lou and Barry just happened to both be available this summer. It has singlehandly changed the fortunes of this franchise.
It's amazing, to win you need a mixed bag. Babcock isn't wrong on that. Needs some heavy players.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

If pajama boy didn’t have his childhood dream then Dubas would look a lot worse. Pajama Boy fell into his lap

Reactions: doublechili

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Caps tie it with under a minute. Thats pretty much the division
Yeah, especially with the injuries and them not really playing all that great lately. Home ice is still on the line though. Need to finish 2nd. If they can steal the division that would be nice, but I really want home ice

Reactions: SteveH124

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Wish we would have drafted Hedman, we'd have a helluva stud defensemen and never had to worry about bedsheets

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This on the 2nd half of back to back too (granted, the Devils). Barring a significant injury, (like Holtby) they are just a better team up and down the lineup.

They’ve allowed the most goals of any of the 16 teams currently in the playoffs. I would be glad getting the first WC and facing them over the Pens

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
They’ve allowed the most goals of any of the 16 teams currently in the playoffs. I would be glad getting the first WC and facing them over the Pens

Their defense was porous early on but they've definitely kicked it into another gear plus their PP is absolutely deadly. Pittsburgh team defense is weaker but agree, dont want to face a Crosby, maybe Malkin, Kessel & Letang. Carolina are newbies to playoff hockey but they always play us tough, same with Jackets. If I had to choose, I'd have to go with Canes, with unproven goaltending

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Their defense was porous early on but they've definitely kicked it into another gear plus their PP is absolutely deadly. Pittsburgh team defense is weaker but agree, dont want to face a Crosby, maybe Malkin, Kessel & Letang. Carolina are newbies to playoff hockey but they always play us tough, same with Jackets. If I had to choose, I'd have to go with Canes, with unproven goaltending

I think the Isles best first round matchup would be against Toronto honestly.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

To me, this all speaks volumes for Bacock as a coach. If I was the manager of some company and the CEO kept coming up to me telling me to hire better employees...I'd throw it right back at him and tell him to get more from the employees he's been given. I think it's actually quite damning of Babcock to have the roster he has and still be shouting "give me moar!!!!". This whole thing makes me have less respect for Babcock than any feelings about Dubas.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Agreed, but I think the discussion was about possible first round matchups, and TOR is virtually impossible.
You’re right. Isles would have to win the metro and Toronto fall to WC1. Possibility of both of those happening is very very small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->