News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Funny how it is only Nov 2 of season 1 and this is happening. Don’t worry, they will change the story when they win 2 in a row and JT scores a goal
Of course. You've got to fill a lot of time talking about the Leafs non-stop everyday. I'm guessing it won't take Tavares too long to get sick of the coverage. Just not what he's used to.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Listening to Friedman on SportsNet radio. and now the party line is that Leafs fans had their expectations too high for Tavares, that he's only been PPG 3 times in his career and he's a very good (and expensive) number two center and they should be happy with that. Host said they can't expect Tavares to carry the team and that, at 28, his best days are not ahead of him. They also talked about how Tavares' performance serves to show that Leafs fans underrate Matthews' greatness. What a world.
Right. He's marginally talented. Everyone knows that.

:naughty:

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
44 saves for Bobrovsky in a 4-1 road win against San Jose.
Before analytics that would be good news, but now we know that CBJ are in big trouble since that will wreak havoc with their PDO numbers and their win was unsustainable and lucky. :scared:

Reactions: seafoam

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Let’s not get carried away here. Had JT signed we would have a better team. JT and Barzal is better than Barzal and Nelson. JT and Barzal together probably means a playoff round or two with this coaching staff and front office and who knows beyond that. I get the long term downside, but the Isles would be closer to a cup in the short term had JT signed, no doubt. I get the animosity but the things I read here on a daily basis about JT are ridiculous. If you want to sound credible, you have to be honest.

Yes we would have been a better team this year and possibly next year. But is the goal a playoff round or two? Didn't we get that with JT here (and no further). The goal needs to be a conference final or a cup. No one is saying JT is a bad player, but signing him for 8 years would cripple us in the long haul and it would not guarantee success - especially with the state of our blueline.

The Islanders will become a team, a unit - not JT and everyone else. His departure stung but many said that signing him long term would have it's consequences - well, we'll see how effective he remains into his later years. I'd rather have a longer window with a contending team even if we have to wait 2-3 seasons to get there then to live in the illusion that we'd be a contender with JT here for the next 2-3 seasons.

Reactions: PuckItUp27

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Listening to Friedman on SportsNet radio. and now the party line is that Leafs fans had their expectations too high for Tavares, that he's only been PPG 3 times in his career and he's a very good (and expensive) number two center and they should be happy with that. Host said they can't expect Tavares to carry the team and that, at 28, his best days are not ahead of him. They also talked about how Tavares' performance serves to show that Leafs fans underrate Matthews' greatness. What a world.

I think Leafs fans just can't stand an American is their savior, like they would rather not win a cup than have Matthews be the first one to get handed the cup, why I am guessing they were so quick to slap an A on Tavares and give Matthews nothing

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I think Leafs fans just can't stand an American is their savior, like they would rather not win a cup than have Matthews be the first one to get handed the cup, why I am guessing they were so quick to slap an A on Tavares and give Matthews nothing

It will be fantastic if they end up alienating Nylander (over his contract) and Matthews as well (if they end up slighting and disenfranchising him). Dubas might end up burning down that core even faster than expected.

I also find it funny that some Leafs fans still view Nylander as a "cost-controlled" asset. If he really is asking for a long-term contract in the $7-8 million range, then that isn't necessarily cost control. Especially if the cost to sign him is much higher than expected and blows out the forecasted budget to be able to retain the necessary talent.

It really is going to be interesting to see how that situation resolves. I understand all it takes is one, dumb/desperate GM to meet their demands in trade, but I don't see how they can match the quality (at least in a one-for-one deal) AND get back a cheap asset. If they get a low-priced asset back, it will probably be of lesser quality - at least initially depending on ultimate fit and development. Or they need to essentially match contracts to get back a quality player. But then that could ultimately cost them personnel down the line.

In the end, they probably need to look at it as the Traitor was a "free" asset, just costing money, and get the best return on Nylander that they can. They might want a cheap, young #1 or #2 defender, but even a #3-4 type+ (maybe a solid thirdliner with reasonable term to put in alongside Kadri) will help. Add to the top-4 defense and some physical play on the third line, then try to get Matthews and Marner signed.

Well, that is enough Leafs talk. I feel a bit dirty but, like I said, it will be fascinating to see what they ultimately do.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Per Rotoworld and the NHL website:

Lightning sign Yanni Gourde to six-year deal

The Tampa Bay Lightning and Yanni Gourde have agreed on a six-year, $30.996 million contract.

That translates to a $5,166,666 annual cap hit. Gourde is playing out the final season of his two-year, $2 million contract, so his new deal will begin in 2019-20. That pay raise is thanks to his breakout over the last season and change. He scored 25 goals and 64 points in 82 contests in 2017-18 and has four goals and 12 points in 12 games this season. While the sample size still isn't big, if he continues to perform like he has been since the start of 2017-18, then the Lightning are getting a pretty good deal here. That said, they now have just under $49 million in cap space tied to eight forwards next season.

Source: Lightning.nhl.com Nov 2 - 2:39 PM

Lightning sign Gourde to six-year contract

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
LOL@ the video of the leafs guys being hard on Tavares, that was great.

their team has a winning record to start off the season, and they’re still complaining? Wtf?

They’re really not going to like when he goes on his 10-15 game swoons, where he puts up a 3-3-6 stat line :laugh:

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Elias Pettersson: 2-3-5 in a 7-6 OT win over a willing track meet participant in the Avalanche. Never mind Boeser, Vancouver’s got their own rookie-with-a-five-pointer game to brag about.

Kid’s also 9-6-15 in nine games. Glad some of this explosive talent’s out west for a change.

Reactions: bigtim1988

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Elias Pettersson: 2-3-5 in a 7-6 OT win over a willing track meet participant in the Avalanche. Never mind Boeser, Vancouver’s got their own rookie-with-a-five-pointer game to brag about.

Kid’s also 9-6-15 in nine games. Glad some of this explosive talent’s out west for a change.
C’mon, five point games don’t count. Everybody knows that. Take away that five point game and the kids only got ten points.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

I've watched a few Canucks game and this kid looks ridiculous. His big knock was goal scoring... whoops.

It seems like the bulk of individual young talent is shifting out west.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006

If you believe NYR fans they were trying to trade up at the draft to get Pettersson. Thank God they didn't.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Per Rotoworld and the NHL website:

Lightning sign Yanni Gourde to six-year deal

The Tampa Bay Lightning and Yanni Gourde have agreed on a six-year, $30.996 million contract.

That translates to a $5,166,666 annual cap hit. Gourde is playing out the final season of his two-year, $2 million contract, so his new deal will begin in 2019-20. That pay raise is thanks to his breakout over the last season and change. He scored 25 goals and 64 points in 82 contests in 2017-18 and has four goals and 12 points in 12 games this season. While the sample size still isn't big, if he continues to perform like he has been since the start of 2017-18, then the Lightning are getting a pretty good deal here. That said, they now have just under $49 million in cap space tied to eight forwards next season.

Source: Lightning.nhl.com Nov 2 - 2:39 PM

Lightning sign Gourde to six-year contract

TL fans say that Stralman and Giardi will probably be gone after this year. Maybe we should go for them. They'd solidify our backend and I think Lehner, assuming he keeps up with his improvement...we could have a real decent team. Sure, we are weak down the middle, but we make up for it by having a solid 4th line and great wingers in our top 6....plus a third line that is defensively responsible, contributes and wins faceoffs. We have enough youth that ...at least I think TBL would want in order to lock them up in long term cheap contracts to manage the cap.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Babs on Tavares :naughty:

“I think he’s been outstanding,” said Babcock. (If someone is outstanding you don't say you think he's been outstanding, you say he's been outstanding)

“I think with all these deals you make it’s the test of time, it’s not the test of a week. I think probably there’s been lots of adjustments [for Tavares] just from moving [cities], different players, different coaches, all those things. Uh, this [the media], lots of things. (Excuses why he has not been outstanding and specifically addresses the week without Mathews because it has been especially bad).

“But I think he’s been great.” (keep telling yourself that maybe you'll believe it)

TornThankfulGenet-size_restricted.gif

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Babs on Tavares :naughty:

“I think he’s been outstanding,” said Babcock. (If someone is outstanding you don't say you think he's been outstanding, you say he's been outstanding)

“I think with all these deals you make it’s the test of time, it’s not the test of a week. I think probably there’s been lots of adjustments [for Tavares] just from moving [cities], different players, different coaches, all those things. Uh, this [the media], lots of things. (Excuses why he has not been outstanding and specifically addresses the week without Mathews because it has been especially bad).

“But I think he’s been great.” (keep telling yourself that maybe you'll believe it)

TornThankfulGenet-size_restricted.gif

You are reading way too much into that. The I think could just be another way of saying in my opinion.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Would you say "I think Scarlett Johanson is hot"?

Yes, if I were using I think in place of in my opinion.

For example, I think the obsession with Tavares is a little nuts. I'm not wavering on that opinion, I'm just clarifying that it's my opinion and not some objective fact.

Reactions: Strummergas

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Yes, if I were using I think in place of in my opinion.

For example, I think the obsession with Tavares is a little nuts.

I think we'll all admit that, like the psycho dumped girlfriend who still stakes out the ex boyfriend's place. But I admit, I'm enjoying the Leafs/JT recent struggle. That's how I roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad