News Around the League Part V: Offseason continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Group Chat Legend*

if were being honest, I think CBJ gets moved to Seattle.

people say the Hurricanes or Coyotes, but both do pretty well fan wise and have actual futures. Columbus is just... yuck.

i would be okay with a Columbus to Seattle move.

edit: okay maybe Hurricanes do poorly on attendance but what the heck they have a cup and a bright future itll turn around right?

double edit: okay after researching a little it seems Columbus is on the downswing whereas Carolina (and Florida) are on the upswing.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
If I were to guess, it'd probably would be Carolina. Columbus has a state of the art arena, and Carolia does not. Carolina also has a dark cloud looming over their ownership situation between the owner and his sons. Unless Francis can possibly get together a buying group if the team goes up for sale, because any business man will probably relocate them.

Also, I feel the NHL would want to remain in Ohio, because there are a lot of pro sports located there with Indians, Reds, Bengals, Browns, Cavs, and Ohio State. Also the NBA is moving the All-star game out of NC due to their stance on gay rights, so I could see the NHL using that for leverage/political statement if they ever decide to relocate the Canes.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If I were to guess, it'd probably would be Carolina. Columbus has a state of the art arena, and Carolia does not. Carolina also has a dark cloud looming over their ownership situation between the owner and his sons. Unless Francis can possibly get together a buying group if the team goes up for sale, because any business man will probably relocate them.

Also, I feel the NHL would want to remain in Ohio, because there are a lot of pro sports located there with Indians, Reds, Bengals, Browns, Cavs, and Ohio State. Also the NBA is moving the All-star game out of NC due to their stance on gay rights, so I could see the NHL using that for leverage/political statement if they ever decide to relocate the Canes.

Oh Jesus Christ, that would be so beyond absurd.

It won't happen, but I'd be ashamed if the NHL jumped on a BS narrative bandwagon with the friggin NBA.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I liked the game posters they did, which we apparently signed the guy who did them last year.

I just hate the hype they've gotten in recent years. Their GM has gotten too much respect, their team has gotten too much respect.

I still believe their 13-14 playoff berth was a fluke, not to mention we lost the season series to them. If we win that season series and maybe two shootouts, we would have made the playoffs. I never understood the hype.

Why did they let go of Castron? How did we come to hire him? What is the story there?

They did not let go of Castron. Castron was Shero's teammate at St. Lawrence University (as well as Nick Lappin's father) in the 80s. I think Castron left because he was getting a good opportunity here and he probably sees the writing on the wall for Kekelainen, it's only a matter of time before they get rid of everyone there.

The 13-14 Blue Jackets were an okay team, but the top 6 scorers on the team were under 30 and they were led by Ryan Johansen. They've still got some good stuff happening.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They did not let go of Castron. Castron was Shero's teammate at St. Lawrence University (as well as Nick Lappin's father) in the 80s. I think Castron left because he was getting a good opportunity here and he probably sees the writing on the wall for Kekelainen, it's only a matter of time before they get rid of everyone there.

The 13-14 Blue Jackets were an okay team, but the top 6 scorers on the team were under 30 and they were led by Ryan Johansen. They've still got some good stuff happening.

Yeah I thought I remembered seeing he left Columbus to come to New Jersey, because I didn't ever remember seeing anything about him being fired or let go.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
"if it weren't for the CBJ's, we wouldn't have all that netting up around the rink." - Bleed probably.

:laugh:

That's not one of my quotes!:laugh:

I really don't hate the team too much, it's just how hyped they were the last few years. I don't have much of a problem with their fan base particularly. I feel a little bad for them. I'd wish them a little more well if they weren't in our division.

But they've been given too much respect these last few seasons. When I say one of my biggest problems with the journalist's is how they lazily pick every playoff team from the last year to automatically be one in the next year, it seems the Blue Jackets last year were the exception to that. They were getting picked to make the playoffs and even win the division and make it to the finals by some. Tom Gulitti being the most notable writer to pick them to be in the finals. I'm not sure why. I believe Tom also picked Ottawa to be in the finals in one of these recent years. I forget if it was the year they missed the playoffs in 13-14 or in 14-15. Couldn't have been this past season when they missed the playoffs, as they couldn't play the CBJ in the finals. So if Tom picks a team to be in the finals, I'd be skeptical they'll be making them from here on out. :laugh:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
That's not one of my quotes!:laugh:

I really don't hate the team too much, it's just how hyped they were the last few years. I don't have much of a problem with their fan base particularly. I feel a little bad for them. I'd wish them a little more well if they weren't in our division.

But they've been given too much respect these last few seasons. When I say one of my biggest problems with the journalist's is how they lazily pick every playoff team from the last year to automatically be one in the next year, it seems the Blue Jackets last year were the exception to that. They were getting picked to make the playoffs and even win the division and make it to the finals by some. Tom Gulitti being the most notable writer to pick them to be in the finals. I'm not sure why. I believe Tom also picked Ottawa to be in the finals in one of these recent years. I forget if it was the year they missed the playoffs in 13-14 or in 14-15. Couldn't have been this past season when they missed the playoffs, as they couldn't play the CBJ in the finals. So if Tom picks a team to be in the finals, I'd be skeptical they'll be making them from here on out. :laugh:

Maybe it was Espen Knutsen that said that...

I can't wait for Vegas to win a playoff series before them. *giggle*

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Maybe it was Espen Knutsen that said that...

I can't wait for Vegas to win a playoff series before them. *giggle*

Vegas might actually win a playoff series before them too! Vegas is going to be pretty good. Or Columbus really bad. Or both. :laugh:

If Jarmo and JD stick around for a while longer, I'd almost expect Las Vegas to win a series before them. I'm not sure how much longer those two imbeciles have left though, I figured at least one of them would be nuked after last season ended, especially with the high expectations before the season started.

Maybe ownership is too cheap to can them, if they have years remaining. I don't think either of them are getting jobs in their respective fields for NHL teams any time soon.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
If Jarmo and JD stick around for a while longer, I'd almost expect Las Vegas to win a series before them. I'm not sure how much longer those two imbeciles have left though, I figured at least one of them would be nuked after last season ended, especially with the high expectations before the season started.

Maybe ownership is too cheap to can them, if they have years remaining. I don't think either of them are getting jobs in their respective fields for NHL teams any time soon.

I seriously think Jarmo is one of those guys that everyone knows stinks but gets another NHL job within a year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I seriously think Jarmo is one of those guys that everyone knows stinks but gets another NHL job within a year.

Well I have to be careful about predictions of "When he's fired, he's not getting another job as a (insert their respective field) in the NHL" because I swore Pete wouldn't get hired as an NHL head coach after being fired by us, at least not right away or without serving time as an assistant first.

Though I was pretty foolish in underrating Pete's reputation in hockey. I was watching the 03 draft not long ago and when Mike Richards was picked (or some guy from Kitchener) Pierre mentioned DeBoer and how he'll be an NHL head coach within a few years and for a long time. I know it was Pierre and his opinion means jack****, but DeBoer is highly regarded because of his long time as a junior coach and from a young age.

And while I don't personally see Jarmo in that vain, maybe you will be right. I should never say never. But I think he'd have to get a scouting job or assistant GM job first, if I had to guess. Or a GM position outside of the NHL.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
if were being honest, I think CBJ gets moved to Seattle.

people say the Hurricanes or Coyotes, but both do pretty well fan wise and have actual futures. Columbus is just... yuck.

i would be okay with a Columbus to Seattle move.

edit: okay maybe Hurricanes do poorly on attendance but what the heck they have a cup and a bright future itll turn around right?

double edit: okay after researching a little it seems Columbus is on the downswing whereas Carolina (and Florida) are on the upswing.

If the idea is to squeeze Quebec into the league it would have to be an eastern conf team that moves to Seattle then QC slides into that slot.

Makes more sense then trying to add QC via expansion.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Is there a young defenseman out there more overrated than Trouba? He's asking for a lot and he really hasn't proved to be all that special. No doubt he's a good player but he hasn't been all that great. People act like he's one of the best young dmen in the league and I just don't see it, they are talking 6 million for him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is there a young defenseman out there more overrated than Trouba? He's asking for a lot and he really hasn't proved to be all that special. No doubt he's a good player but he hasn't been all that great. People act like he's one of the best young dmen in the league and I just don't see it, they are talking 6 million for him.

Trouba is interesting since Winnipeg didn't really use him in an offensive role once they swapped Myers/Bogosian (somewhat similar to Greene/Larsson last season). Due to their logjam with righties, Trouba also had to play on the left side which is a bit unusual for a RH D. Winnipeg beat writer mentioned that Trouba's camp is concerned about his usage (along with term/salary).

Winnipeg will be in a tough spot with the expansion draft. Right now they'd have to protect Enstrom because of his NMC. Then they can only protect two of Byfuglien/Trouba/Myers unless they decided to only protect four forwards. There was talk last year of them moving Enstrom.

I think Trouba can have a breakout year once they move Enstrom/Myers. Apparently Paul Maurice has said that Trouba would start on a pair with Byfuglien (rather than say Myers or even worse Mark Stuart).

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Wonder what it would take to get our 2017 3rd round pick back from Carolina?

Maybe
To NJ:
NJD 2017 3rd round pick

To Carolina:
COL 2017 3rd round pick
NJD 2017 4th round pick
NJD 2019 7th round pick

Then, offer sheet Jacob Trouba - 7 years, 6.5 million per season
Either they match, or we get Trouba for 2017 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.

Then, offer Anaheim:
Blandisi/Boucher
2018 1st
2018 2nd (FLA)

OR
Cammalleri
2018 2nd (FLA)

for Fowler + Stoner/Bieksa

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Then, offer sheet Jacob Trouba - 7 years, 6.5 million per season
Either they match, or we get Trouba for 2017 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.

Offer sheets are a tricky thing. From the sounds of it, Trouba's camp actually prefers a shorter term while Winnipeg wants a longer deal. They might be wary of signing a deal that long.

Also, there's a caveat with offer sheets that for deals longer than five years, the compensation is actually calculated by the total value divided by five (not the full length of the contract).

So, (7 years x 6.5) 45.5 million total value would actually be considered 9.1 million (45.5 / 5) in terms of compensation. So you'd be giving up 2 first rounders, a second, and third. That amount would also be pretty close to giving up 4 first rounders (9.13 million is that threshold).

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Offer sheets are a tricky thing. From the sounds of it, Trouba's camp actually prefers a shorter term while Winnipeg wants a longer deal. They might be wary of signing a deal that long.

Also, there's a caveat with offer sheets that for deals longer than five years, the compensation is actually calculated by the total value divided by five (not the full length of the contract).

So, (7 years x 6.5) 45.5 million total value would actually be considered 9.1 million (45.5 / 5) in terms of compensation. So you'd be giving up 2 first rounders, a second, and third. That amount would also be pretty close to giving up 4 first rounders (9.13 million is that threshold).

Wow did not know that about offer sheets. Thanks

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
HockeysStrangest not finest lol. Very very interesting. Offer sheets are so rare though so making a rare trade like that in order to make a rare move in an offer sheet is definitely different to say the least.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not a fan of the idea of throwing out an offer sheet.

If we did it, you can rest assure that team will wind up doing it to one of our guys when they hit RFA, if we have anyone worthwhile to throw one at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad