News Around the League: Part LIII - Offseason Concludes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
anyone else see the ducks lines from day one of camp? could be meaningless, but still interesting, nonetheless:

hagelin-getzlaf-stewart
sekac-kesler-silfverberg
cogliano-rakell-perry
maroon-horcoff-friberg

are they gonna split up the big dogs to see if more spread out scoring can get them over the hump?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This Sharks/Canucks game is one of the most boring games I've ever seen. It's even boring for a preseason games standards.

It's like watching the Paul MacLean Senators play Paul MacLean's Senators.

Or like Dumbeor's Devils playing Dumbeor's Panthers.

Or like watching a DeBoer team play period.

Oh yeah, that's right. :rant:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That contract should get a GM fired. That's just insane. How about waiting til after the season to see if he's living up to his potential? He's an RFA anyway.

Nonsense! Edmonton has really turned a corner dude! Didn't you hear? New management, new coach, and another new superstar forward! Because obviously he's the missing puzzle piece, as the first 4 or 5 couldn't get it done without McDavid!

And Cam Talbot? And Ben Sievens too! Didn't you see Ben Sievens 69 save shutout a couple years ago? Or Cam Talbot win all those games for the Rangers when Lundqvist was injured? It's a powerhouse bro! Just sit back and enjoy!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One of the most shocking things I've seen since training camps have started up these last couple of days.

DeBoer actually used 2 forwards and 1 defenseman in the 3 on 3 OT. I can't believe it! He must have really had to think twice with no Zubrus or Clowe to throw out together.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha Torts gets named the Team USA head coach for the world cup of hockey next year? Yikes. I figured they'd give it to someone like Bylsma or Laviolette, who actually currently have head coaching jobs in the league.

I have to agree with Gulitti though. This tournament is a sham and not really a world cup. I'm not against it or anything like he is, and I'm definitely gonna watch it. I'll take hockey in early September any day.

But it is a joke that players under 23 can't play for their country, they have to play on some stupid young stars team. So players like Ekblad, Forsberg, MacKinnon, Strome, Barkov, Eichel, McDavid, and even some other players I'm forgetting cause they seem older than that. Quite a few actually.

Would Larsson even be eligible for Team Sweden? Is it ages 23 and under on the young stars team? Or ages 18-22? If it's ages 18-23, Larsson wouldn't even be eligible for Sweden, as he turns 24 in November 2016.

The only good thing that can come of that is maybe it gives a guy like Andy Greene some recognition and a spot on Team USA, that he otherwise wouldn't have gotten with players ages 18-23 playing on the team. I'm sure the bozo's are still infatuated with and have their hard on's still for guys like Orpik (YUCK!) Paul Martin and maybe even Jack Johnson still. Justin Faulk was one of the younger guys on the Olympics last time, he'll be 24 next year when the tournament happens, so he'll likely make it over Greene unless he bombs this season.

Sadly our very own Ray Shero is probably one of these Team USA guys that loves Orpik and Martin and pushed for them to be on the Olympic team in 2014. I even remember people everywhere arguing that they only got picked because of Shero and Bylsma.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
One of the most shocking things I've seen since training camps have started up these last couple of days.

DeBoer actually used 2 forwards and 1 defenseman in the 3 on 3 OT. I can't believe it! He must have really had to think twice with no Zubrus or Clowe to throw out together.

He is going to coach the Sharks to the playoffs

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He is going to coach the Sharks to the playoffs

Maybe so, one of these years he's bound to make the playoffs again. 2 out of 8 years in the playoffs as a head coach in the NHL is still weak as hell though.

I'm not guaranteeing they miss, but I'm also not predicting them to make it. I think there's problems beyond DeBoer in there to begin with. Then adding a coach that has not proved to be a very good head coach at this level doesn't make things any better.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Maybe so, one of these years he's bound to make the playoffs again. 2 out of 8 years in the playoffs as a head coach in the NHL is still weak as hell though.

I'm not guaranteeing they miss, but I'm also not predicting them to make it. I think there's problems beyond DeBoer in there to begin with. Then adding a coach that has not proved to be a very good head coach at this level doesn't make things any better.

2/8 with the teams he had? Not so sure that's "weak as hell".

He had one good team and it made the Stanley Cup Final.

It was not working here, but he is not the horrible coach that you make him out to be.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
2/8 with the teams he had? Not so sure that's "weak as hell".

He had one good team and it made the Stanley Cup Final.

It was not working here, but he is not the horrible coach that you make him out to be.

I beg to differ that he is a horrible coach. I'll compromise with you and say he's an average coach at best.

Let's see how this season goes. But even if they do make the playoffs this year, I'm still not gonna be a believer. Because he is due to eventually make them again.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not sure if anyone saw, but Scott Stevens will be on NHL Network's analyst team this year. Other names include Brian Boucher, Mike Rupp, and Kevin Weekes.

I saw that and I wonder if he's like a full time guy? How frequently is supposed to be on? And I thought Boucher and Weekes have already been on there? At least Weekes has for years now. I just assumed Boucher was already since he's been on NBC's crew.

John MacLean will be on there too, I already thought I've seen him on there.

I wonder if Stevens turned down any assistant coaching gigs in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad