News Around the League: Part LIII - Offseason Concludes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It may seem like a harsh decision, but I think it was a fair one. The kid will learn a hard lesson in the importance of being punctual for a professional. It's the same thing as not getting a job because you showed up to the interview late.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Ho-Sang is a police blotter about to happen.

NYi had another highly skilled but troubled draft pick/prospect recently sign a tryout with the Rags.
Forget his name, I think a Russian forward.

Last edited:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
If I were a kid going to training camp with pros, I would have been so excited, I probably would have been sleeping in the locker room the night before

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@TGfireandice: Islanders sign Marek Zidlicky to one-year contract.
Good for him. I think they'll like him over there, even if he takes his obligatory dumb penalty once in a while or a bad defensive gaffe. I would have been really perplexed if he went unsigned, I was already puzzled as to why he was unsigned. After hearing his family was still in New Jersey and he wanted to stay close to them, I have to believe there was more interest for him but he wanted to stay somewhere close enough. The only other team I heard about talking to him definitely was Boston. We've been hearing about the Islanders and him talking for a bit now. Them and the Bruins too. With some of the other junk that got signed, I thought it was odd that he wasn't. Especially with the offensive numbers he's been putting up on this team the past couple of years.
Did Bernier sign with the Isles? Or was he just on a PTO?

He was on a PTO originally, he was signed for real a couple days ago though.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Good for Zids. Still a useful player in the right situation, and now he can stay in the area.

Ugh, feels so weird to have the Islanders in win-now mode and the Devils rebuilding!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hope we see penalty prone Zids when we play NYi

Before Grabner was sent out, I would have said to you ''Be careful what you wish for''.

With no Grabner now, that might actually be a positive for us.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Where is Michael Ryder? Where is his PTO? Did he feel he was too good to accept one of those, just like he felt he was too good to be scratched by us for all those games last year? Or is it possible that all the management people and GM's around the league think that he's so bad, that he just wasn't offered a PTO?

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Where is Michael Ryder? Where is his PTO? Did he feel he was too good to accept one of those, just like he felt he was too good to be scratched by us for all those games last year? Or is it possible that all the management people and GM's around the league think that he's so bad, that he just wasn't offered a PTO?

If I'm not mistaken, I could've sworn I saw somewhere in main board land that he got a PTO from Vancouver.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, I could've sworn I saw somewhere in main board land that he got a PTO from Vancouver.

I haven't seen that yet, it would fit in with the incompetent hacks running things up there now. Havlat is with Florida on a PTO.

Sean Bergenheim didn't get a PTO from anywhere.

Neither did Stephen Weiss, which is very understandable. The dude is 32 and when you look at his face he looks like he's at least 42. His body is obviously in a 42 year old players condition also.

Then there's Olli Jokinen - He's absolutely finished in the NHL.

Brendan Morrow - Shouldn't have even been in the league last year. Jon Cooper stuck by this guy more than Pete stuck with certain players when they were no longer good.

I just saw a list with guys who were not signed, nor received a PTO either when looking for something on Ryder. These were the names on there.

I've been thinking for a while now that Ryder would be the one who got the PTO and Havlat wouldn't get one at all, even though I still thought Havlat had a little more left in the tank if he could avoid some of these weird and freak injuries he always gets. I thought he'd get no PTO since last year with us was supposed to be like his last chance contract.

I guess Ryder gets no last chance, unless he gets signed later on. Judging by his age, he probably won't be getting signed later on or a PTO in a year from now (like Simon Gagne last year with Boston) given he's 35 right now and he'll be 36 at the end of the regular season. It's overseas league or bust for him. Maybe he gets a two way AHL contract to play in the AHL, with the possibility of an NHL call up. Perhaps he's been offered that already, but just refused to take it and thinks he can hold out for a better deal. If he really thinks as high of himself as he claimed when being interviewed during his scratch days last season, then he probably really does have such a large ego that he believes he deserves better than that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Good for Zids. Still a useful player in the right situation, and now he can stay in the area.

Ugh, feels so weird to have the Islanders in win-now mode and the Devils rebuilding!

Not to mention having old ex-Devils go to the Isles instead of the Rangers :laugh:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I haven't seen that yet, it would fit in with the incompetent hacks running things up there now. Havlat is with Florida on a PTO.

Sean Bergenheim didn't get a PTO from anywhere.

Neither did Stephen Weiss, which is very understandable. The dude is 32 and when you look at his face he looks like he's at least 42. His body is obviously in a 42 year old players condition also.

Then there's Olli Jokinen - He's absolutely finished in the NHL.

Brendan Morrow - Shouldn't have even been in the league last year. Jon Cooper stuck by this guy more than Pete stuck with certain players when they were no longer good.

I just saw a list with guys who were not signed, nor received a PTO either when looking for something on Ryder. These were the names on there.

I've been thinking for a while now that Ryder would be the one who got the PTO and Havlat wouldn't get one at all, even though I still thought Havlat had a little more left in the tank if he could avoid some of these weird and freak injuries he always gets. I thought he'd get no PTO since last year with us was supposed to be like his last chance contract.

I guess Ryder gets no last chance, unless he gets signed later on. Judging by his age, he probably won't be getting signed later on or a PTO in a year from now (like Simon Gagne last year with Boston) given he's 35 right now and he'll be 36 at the end of the regular season. It's overseas league or bust for him. Maybe he gets a two way AHL contract to play in the AHL, with the possibility of an NHL call up. Perhaps he's been offered that already, but just refused to take it and thinks he can hold out for a better deal. If he really thinks as high of himself as he claimed when being interviewed during his scratch days last season, then he probably really does have such a large ego that he believes he deserves better than that.

Bergenheim got several PTOs but is waiting for a contract.

If what someone said on the main boards is true, Ryder had a baby recently and the baby was in the hospital for a few weeks.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Hey guys. I asked this on the trade board but didn't get a confident answer.

I know Zidlicky typically plays RD, but has he ever played LD?

I ask because if he can't play LD then we are still one injury away from Strait in the lineup since Pulock and Mayfield are RD.

Thanks for the info.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hey guys. I asked this on the trade board but didn't get a confident answer.

I know Zidlicky typically plays RD, but has he ever played LD?

I ask because if he can't play LD then we are still one injury away from Strait in the lineup since Pulock and Mayfield are RD.

Thanks for the info.

Honestly not sure. Wild fans might know better because when he played here our coach was super strict about what side players played on (to our annoyance). So he always played on the right side here I believe.

Maybe check to see if the wings tried me on the other side too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad