News Around the League: Part LIII - Offseason Concludes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
One of the most shocking things I've seen since training camps have started up these last couple of days.

DeBoer actually used 2 forwards and 1 defenseman in the 3 on 3 OT. I can't believe it! He must have really had to think twice with no Zubrus or Clowe to throw out together.

DeBoer loves to overplay stars.

Pavelski, Burns, Couture, Thornton, Vlasic, and Marleau.

Are significantly better than the NJD group he had to played with in the playoffs.

Kovalchuk, Elias, Parise, Clarkson, and Henrique.

I would be shocked if the SJS missed the playoffs.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Are significantly better than the NJD group he had to played with in the playoffs.

Same, DeBoer is a great coach for an established roster. The Sharks will be a very good team with him. He shouldn't be anywhere near an organization that is trying to develop young players or isn't in win-now mode.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Most people had them in the playoffs last year too. I think you might have been one of them.

Let's also not forget that they traded next year's first round pick (not lotto protected either) for Martin Jones, who we don't know if he's a good goaltender or not. One really good off the charts season, one really below average season last year. The same season Jones was good was also the same season that goofy pretender Sievens put up similar numbers on the Kings. We all know how good he is too, he's an embarrassment.

Not saying they definitely won't be, just that I'll believe it when I see it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Most people had them in the playoffs last year too. I think you might have been one of them.

Let's also not forget that they traded next year's first round pick (not lotto protected either) for Martin Jones, who we don't know if he's a good goaltender or not. One really good off the charts season, one really below average season last year. The same season Jones was good was also the same season that goofy pretender Sievens put up similar numbers on the Kings. We all know how good he is too, he's an embarrassment.

I would say they could make the playoffs but the West is BRUTAL. If any of the playoff teams from last year get knocked out it'll be Vancouver but I can't see LA missing again so someone else would have to get bumped out too like a Winnipeg or Calgary - which I doubt the latter will fall back after they were gifted Hamilton

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

They didn't have a good season last year which happens every year to a couple of solid teams.

Pete system doesn't need to have a great goalie. SJS has the horses to dominate the puck possesion.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I would say they could make the playoffs but the West is BRUTAL. If any of the playoff teams from last year get knocked out it'll be Vancouver but I can't see LA missing again so someone else would have to get bumped out too like a Winnipeg or Calgary - which I doubt the latter will fall back after they were gifted Hamilton

Every year there are teams that fall off that have talent rosters. Last year in the West it was SJS +49, LAK +32, and COL +30. I don't think many people had any of those 3 teams missing the playoffs last year.

Calgary and WInnipeg could both drop off. Yeck I think the Patrick Kane crap could knock CHI out of the playoffs in a tough West.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Part of me wants to say that if they don't make the playoffs with that roster, the excuses for Pete need to stop once and for all. But to Pete's defense, which I rarely ever come to but I have to be fair here, they might be on the verge of a meltdown in the locker room. Maybe not though, I'm not sure. Even if they do make it though, I won't become a believer in him. Talent should not be an excuse at this point though, then again their goaltending is EXTREMELY questionable and we don't know what the hell Martin Jones really is yet.
They didn't have a good season last year which happens every year to a couple of solid teams.

Pete system doesn't need to have a great goalie. SJS has the horses to dominate the puck possesion.
This is one misnomer I see. People say Pete's team's are great possession team's. That's not completely true or a constant characteristic of his team's. I'm pretty sure in Florida, they were a terrible possession team with him there. Just like we were last season. I even think they were bottom 3-5 in shots against every year he was there, even dead last one year I believe. Only his first 3 seasons in New Jersey was he known for having a dominant possession system.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Every year there are teams that fall off that have talent rosters. Last year in the West it was SJS +49, LAK +32, and COL +30. I don't think many people had any of those 3 teams missing the playoffs last year.

Calgary and WInnipeg could both drop off. Yeck I think the Patrick Kane crap could knock CHI out of the playoffs in a tough West.

Winnipeg's goaltending stinks, they got in last year cause their goaltending was a lot better than it really is.

If Dallas didn't get awful goaltending, they would have been in the playoffs and Winnipeg would have been out. Instead though, Lehtonen played last year like Pavelec does every other year, and Pavelec last year played like Lehtonen does every other year.

If Calgary does get in again, it probably means the Sharks are not in.

Though like Devs26 said, Vancouver can drop off easily. So it's possible that both Calgary and San Jose get in. LAK I can't see missing again. The Ducks are definitely getting in.

I don't see Chicago out regardless of Kane. I think they're a wild card at absolute worst and a first round exit at absolutely worst in the playoffs.

Nashville can easily drop out too, I don't think they're really as good as they were last year. At the same time though, I did pick them to make the playoffs last year. I also picked Dallas to miss the playoffs last year, I just didn't imagine it being because they're goaltending sucked, yet they had the second highest scoring team in the league.

I think Dallas is back in this year, they got better.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And speaking of goaltending and Vancouver, already two goals on like a barely any shots on Ryan Miller tonight from the Sharks. And both were identical, and he definitely saw the second one, first one was screened and a bomb from none other than Paul Martin.

And Vancouver's goaltending is an Achilles heel for sure. Miller has been bad since leaving Buffalo. And Lack was sent to probably warm the bench in Carolina until Ward's bone dust is vacuumed up, which is probably after this season knowing those cheap ****s. And if Ward and Miller aren't bottom 5 starters in the league in 2015, then there are no bottom 5 starters at all.

Except for Scott Wedgewood and Ray Emery!:sarcasm:

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Part of me wants to say that if they don't make the playoffs with that roster, the excuses for Pete need to stop once and for all. But to Pete's defense, which I rarely ever come to but I have to be fair here, they might be on the verge of a meltdown in the locker room. Maybe not though, I'm not sure. Even if they do make it though, I won't become a believer in him. Talent should not be an excuse at this point though, then again their goaltending is EXTREMELY questionable and we don't know what the hell Martin Jones really is yet.

This is one misnomer I see. People say Pete's team's are great possession team's. That's not completely true or a constant characteristic of his team's. I'm pretty sure in Florida, they were a terrible possession team with him there. Just like we were last season. I even think they were bottom 3-5 in shots against every year he was there, even dead last one year I believe. Only his first 3 seasons in New Jersey was he known for having a dominant possession system.

That is why I said if he has the horses. SJS was 15th last year in 5on5 FF%. They will be top 5 this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A "bomb" from Paul Martin.:laugh:

Haha I mean, it wasn't too bad. For his standards, but it is preseason afterall.

I skimmed through highlights from last season's preseason opener against the Rangers earlier. Ryder and Boucher looked like superstars in that game, it was all downhill for them both from there. Do it isn't unusual to see Martin unload one like that, especially in a preseason game.

Even Urbom scored on a big shot for Washington a couple years ago after those ******** robbed us of that stud, and because of Lou's insane and disastrous asset management.

I remember a post saying ''A bomb from Urbom''. And then a few posts from people actually saying they missed him. I miss him too, when do we give him and Tallinder their PTO's? It's still not too late to invite them and Tedenby to camp. They all hated Pete, and Pete's gone now. So they will like it here again. It's not too late yet, we didn't give Brunner his PTO until like a week a after camp opened, from what I recall.

Speaking of Brunner, we should give him a tryout. He'll be good now Pete is gone!:sarcasm: They all will!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
id be more impressed with a hit. any hit!

anyone can swing a piece of lumber at a round rubber and find 14 second of 'glory'

man i hated that guy on the team.

I'm not a fan of his contract with San Jose. Cap hit or the term should be less, at least one or the other. Should have only been a 3 year deal, or a 4 year for a bit less AAV. It will be ugly in a couple years.

The Joel Ward deal was very fair though. I shook my head when I heard he was signed, my initial reaction was he got a 4 year deal for over $4 million a year. Turns out it was only 3 years for a little over $3 million a year. And he's a low mileage 1980. not many NHL miles on him as opposed to a guy like Zubrus, who had an identical contract and the same age and threw a rod just months after it was signed.

The Ward deal I like for them, Martin deal is either a year too long or almost a million AAV too much for that long a deal. Jones is too much of a question mark for a non lotto protected first round pick, he's been good tonight though.

I bet Ray gets Martin picked again (and Orpik) over Greene for the sham world cup of hockey next fall. :rant:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm not a fan of his contract with San Jose. Cap hit or the term should be less, at least one or the other. Should have only been a 3 year deal, or a 4 year for a bit less AAV. It will be ugly in a couple years.

The Joel Ward deal was very fair though. I shook my head when I heard he was signed, my initial reaction was he got a 4 year deal for over $4 million a year. Turns out it was only 3 years for a little over $3 million a year. And he's a low mileage 1980. not many NHL miles on him as opposed to a guy like Zubrus, who had an identical contract and the same age and threw a rod just months after it was signed.

The Ward deal I like for them, Martin deal is either a year too long or almost a million AAV too much for that long a deal. Jones is too much of a question mark for a non lotto protected first round pick, he's been good tonight though.

I bet Ray gets Martin picked again (and Orpik) over Greene for the sham world cup of hockey next fall. :rant:

1, yes its a joke tournament…..but we all will tune in at least to see the joke of it all

2, it wont be the first time greene gets passed over

3, club before country.

rather see devils players kick ass for whoever than be a moron **** who talks on and on about iggy t o sid.

**** off mass idiots

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I completely forgot Martin was on San Jose lol

Haha I did too, until tonight.:shakehead

Don't get me wrong, I think he makes them better now. But it could be an ugly one the last two years.

He was pretty bad early on with Pittsburgh from what I remember. It was talked about before the last lockout that he would be a prime candidate for an amnesty buyout. Then he seemed to turn it around that lockout season and that talk was completely silenced an even forgotten about by most.

Or maybe it was that conversation he had with Dan that offseason that Chico spoke about on air. He said Dan flew to Minnesota to talk to Paul and said ''So what do you think?'' It was one of the most random stories, even by Chico's standards.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
1, yes its a joke tournament…..but we all will tune in at least to see the joke of it all

2, it wont be the first time greene gets passed over

3, club before country.

rather see devils players kick ass for whoever than be a moron **** who talks on and on about iggy t o sid.

**** off mass idiots

I'll be watching it for sure. I just think this ''Young guns'' under 23 team is stupid, just like Tom Gulitti. Though I doubt he'll be watching. The only good thing about that is it maybe gives some young guys a chance to compete, who may not be good enough to be on their national teams due to there being too much talent.

I had a lot of fun watching the 96 and 04 tournaments. I was even kinda bummed that we didn't have one sooner than 2016. The bad thing about the 04 one was it was the last bit of televised hockey we got to see for a year.

I remember taping the 05 world championships and watching that tournament religiously, since it was the first televised live hockey in almost a year and there was no NHL that year.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Last edited:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
From the Buffalo News article.

The rape kit evidence bag in the Patrick Kane rape investigation was anonymously delivered to the mother of the woman who accused the NHL star of rape, the woman’s attorney said Wednesday.

---

Eoannou called for the FBI or State Police to investigate the breach. He also said multiple leaks to media have occurred and are “troublesome to say the least,†said Eoannou.

GhostofKenKlee

That's some Law and Order SVU subplot bleep stuff right there.

Possibly some jock sniffer of a fan.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
That's some Law and Order SVU subplot bleep stuff right there.

Possibly some jock sniffer of a fan.

Or possibly the accuser/lawyer knew they didn't have enough to go after Kane based on the DNA results so they mucked this whole thing up. Can easily sue the PD for improper conduct and reach a nice settlement.

Possibly. Possibly. Possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad