News Around the League Part II: Post-holiday moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
To think this guy was once our captain, well then...

[Former NHL coach Adam Oates was hired before the season by several players as a personal coach; two of the players were Zach Parise and Ryan Suter of the Wild.] When you say things never felt right, did this start with the Adam Oates stuff? “Yeah. I thought we dealt with it. We talked with Zach, and we had no issues with it after that. And talked with some players, and … Whether it’s something like that, whether it’s the trade rumors, whatever it is, when there’s things that might cause a little unrest, they kind of sit there and they hang out. When things are going well, they’re forgotten and pushed to the side. But when things don’t go well, quite often they come back.”

Did it bother you that Oates came to the Buffalo morning skate [Jan. 12]? That was at the start of the tailspin? “I’m not going to even comment on it. But I would say, that I would not do the same thing.”

http://www.startribune.com/mike-yeo-on-being-fired-i-wasn-t-prepared-for-what-it-would-feel-like/369993491/

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To be fair though, we're only hearing one side of the story. And a coach who just got fired isn't exactly an unbiased source.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Yeah, but Parise had similar tendencies here too.

Granted, he thinks he's a spectacular coach, which is VERY biased

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Plus Fletcher is ultimately the guy in charge there. So if he's allowing his players to hire personal coaches and have them show up at practices unannounced, how much institutional control does he really have?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oates is a joke.

Is this ''Personal consultation'' coach role, supposed to resurrect his NHL head coaching career?? I remember the Wings bringing him in personally for a practice earlier this season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To be fair though, we're only hearing one side of the story. And a coach who just got fired isn't exactly an unbiased source.

No but the Oates thing is bad enough on the surface...it's one thing to hire him as a personal coach but to have him show up at a team function :laugh:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Sure, but some coaches who are fired are still complimentary about their former players or at least don't make the kind of comments that Yeo did in that interview. I think there's some smoke under that fire. Still, the Wild's problems under Yeo seemed to extend far beyond Parise, and that's why Yeo got canned.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As much as I think Oates is a joke, is it really that weird for him to show up at a morning skate?

I always hear of random people showing up at morning skates and practices. Figures that are not affiliated with the team in any way. Whether it's retired players or a former player/coach that is friends with a player on the team. Or even agents.

Maybe it's weirder since he's a freelance consultant for players on that team.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As much as I think Oates is a joke, is it really that weird for him to show up at a morning skate?

I always hear of random people showing up at morning skates and practices. Figures that are not affiliated with the team in any way. Whether it's retired players or a former player/coach that is friends with a player on the team. Or even agents.

Aren't those guys usually invited by the head coach or the GM instead of players? That's the crux of the issue.

WOW! What an interview. You don't hear many ex-coaches throw guys under the bus, but Adam Oates always seemed kind of a snake. I can understand why Jagr told him basically to **** off when they were here. Also, Parise sounds like a whiny little *****.

I mean Parise showed he was a bit of a phony on his way out the door here but this kind of surprises me a little still...but I guess he was at least smart enough not to complain about coaches here or he would have gotten thrown in the dungeon.

Last edited:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

with the moniker of "personal coach" to the two highest paid players on the team?

Yes?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If he was just there to watch the morning skate and then give them some pointers afterwards I wouldn't think it's that big of a deal. But if he was there actually coaching them during the team's morning skate I could see it being a problem. It's definitely strange either way.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Parise acting like a rat. Not that Yeo was a great coach, but still that interview is pretty damning.

Thats because Zach thought he was irreplaceable or God Like when in reality he would disappear at the most inopportune times. OH WHATS WRONG WITH ZACH HE MUST BE HURT. NO just not clutch. Dont get me wrong he could be. But inconsistent-at best

I guess when you throw others under the bus you take the heat off yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad