News Around the League Part II: Post-holiday moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And while I am also skeptical of Gagner, unless he's a bad seed in the locker room (I'm not sure there's any evidence he is) then yeah I don't see a problem if the Devils do pick him up, other than the fact they have to drop someone else. And it might just be someone this board will scream and yell about dropping.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
And while I am also skeptical of Gagner, unless he's a bad seed in the locker room (I'm not sure there's any evidence he is) then yeah I don't see a problem if the Devils do pick him up, other than the fact they have to drop someone else. And it might just be someone this board will scream and yell about dropping.

If it's Ruutu you will hear screams of joy

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If it's Ruutu you will hear screams of joy

Yeah but let's just say I'm not expecting him to be the first cut if the Devils do make another addition. Maybe in a few weeks after they give him more of a chance than he's had so far this season with his injury.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I just don't see much risk in claiming Gagner... If he doesn't produce its not like JJ and Gionta are either. If he does and it helps us get even within a sniff of the playoffs that's great. If we stink but he's producing someone might take a flier on him and send us a later pick. There's really no harm at all in claiming him. Similar to no risk in signing Stempniak, Tlusty, and Kennedy.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So I'm at an ECHL game and Jarred Staal is playing. Lol

I saw the name was thinking ''I thought the Wild claimed Stoll?"

I think he's one of the Staal brothers, isn't he? The crappy one that obviously couldn't make it into the league.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If we have a chance to claim Gagner, and don't, I think that says we are not really trying to make a go at the playoffs this year. And if that's the case then I can't figure why Matteau is not playing(more often) over the likes of Ruutu.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If we have a chance to claim Gagner, and don't, I think that says we are not really trying to make a go at the playoffs this year. And if that's the case then I can't figure why Matteau is not playing(more often) over the likes of Ruutu.

Or it says that ownership doesn't want to spend above the floor.

Or it says that Gagner has locker room issues and that's why he's bounced from team to team the last couple years despite a big contract and some talent.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gagner sucks, but he would be an upgrade over Josefson. As would Scott Gomez too. He's on pace for twice as many points this season as Josefson.

Gagner is on pace for a little less than a third more points than Josefson this season. Still an upgrade though.

It's sad and hilarious that Gagner and 2016 Gomez are upgrades to anybody, but it's the truth.

Let's not even get into Ruutu, a cardboard cutout is an upgrade over him.

I haven't watched Gomez this year, but he had decent speed for an old guy on our geriatric team last year. Then again, I thought Ruutu did too.

Then there was this season....

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Or it says that ownership doesn't want to spend above the floor.

Or it says that Gagner has locker room issues and that's why he's bounced from team to team the last couple years despite a big contract and some talent.

If this is a thing, then I'll be a pretty dissapointed as well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There IS also the possibility that another team beats us to a claim too, it's not like we're first in line with waivers. I doubt we're the only offensively challenged team that wants to take a flyer on Gagner with a one-year deal. Unless of course there are off-ice issues we're not privy to.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Rinaldo is such a *****. Why don't you go after Chris Neil? Noooo, you go beat up a guy that fights like three times a year

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tallon given a 3yr extension

Meh.

I would have waited until February or March-ish for that one.

I really thought this was a make or break year for him, and it might have very well been, with him not being extended until New Years. Whereas most GM's are extended about a year before the contract ends, if they're intended to be kept.

If the Panthers fall out of a playoff spot, this might look pretty bad. I really thought if they missed, he'd be out this year.

I don't think he's done a terrible job there, I'm just not sure if he's done that great of a job. I'd say he's done a decent job if they do get in this year. I think they will.

I'd rather see them in than Ottawa. I'd also laugh if Montreal chokes away a spot and finishes outside. That will prove once and for all that the Canadiens really are mostly a Price team, at least with that ****** and structureless system that they play with Therrien.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is very similar to what Pete said to Gulitti (I think it was Gulitti?) after he questioned something he did about practicing the shootout or something. That maybe he should apply for a coaching job.

Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN 31 Dec 2015
Pete DeBoer on Dave Hakstol not liking the Burns hit on VandeVelde: “Dave should maybe apply for a player safety job.â€

:laugh:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
This is very similar to what Pete said to Gulitti (I think it was Gulitti?) after he questioned something he did about practicing the shootout or something. That maybe he should apply for a coaching job.

It's too bad that Gulitti is more professional than say the football beat writers. They would have ripped the coach in their columns by saying they already applied for the job and are just waiting for you to be fired.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Gagner is making 5 million this year with an AAV of 4.8. No team was going to claim him.

I personally wouldn't mind if the Devils tried to flip Ruutu for him, if the Flyers truly want to get rid of him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's too bad that Gulitti is more professional than say the football beat writers. They would have ripped the coach in their columns by saying they already applied for the job and are just waiting for you to be fired.

That's what I would have said to him, had he said that to me.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad