News Article: News and Notes XXXIV - is it time for us to make panic trades yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Someone recently posted that there is an intuitive proper respective order in the English language for adjectives describing different qualities.

Sure enough, someone being a Canadian good boy sounds extremely questionable.
There is too much English.

Olen väsynyt viiltämään
Vaikka pelkään kuolemaa
Väkivalta meidät kastaa
Toisiamme ruoskimaan

Olen väsynyt antamaan
Olen väsynyt kuolemaan
Olen väsynyt
Raavi nahkani alta
Älä tapa, älä jätä henkiin
Olen väsynyt kiiltämään
Olen väsynyt tuntemaan
En jaksa nyt
Raatele nahkani alta

Olen väsynyt antamaan
Olen väsynyt kuolemaan
Olen väsynyt
Raavi nahkani alta
Olen väsynyt kiiltämään
Olen väsynyt tuntemaan
En jaksa nyt
Raatele nahkani alta

KURVA DO PIČE, JÁ CHCI SEZÓNU ZPĚT, UŽ MĚ TO JEBE.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Damn. Me and @Cardiac Jerks have no hope on this board I guess
Just say you're from Thunder Bay and that you're a farmer, you're basically a prairie boy then. But for real, obviously most of the talent does come from Ontario... Markham alone has produced Stamkos, Skinner and Foegele off the top of my head, three absolute dreamboats.

Also just be grateful you didn't come from BC. Only things good to come out of there are Brind'Amour, Yzerman and Sakic.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
There is too much English.

Olen väsynyt viiltämään
Vaikka pelkään kuolemaa
Väkivalta meidät kastaa
Toisiamme ruoskimaan

Olen väsynyt antamaan
Olen väsynyt kuolemaan
Olen väsynyt
Raavi nahkani alta
Olen väsynyt kiiltämään
Olen väsynyt tuntemaan
En jaksa nyt
Raatele nahkani alta

Olen väsynyt antamaan
Olen väsynyt kuolemaan
Olen väsynyt
Raavi nahkani alta
Olen väsynyt kiiltämään
Olen väsynyt tuntemaan
En jaksa nyt
Raatele nahkani alta

KURVA DO PIČE, JÁ CHCI SEZÓNU ZPĚT, UŽ MĚ TO JEBE.

Ditto

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Just say you're from Thunder Bay and that you're a farmer, you're basically a prairie boy then. But for real, obviously most of the talent does come from Ontario... Markham alone has produced Stamkos, Skinner and Foegele off the top of my head, three absolute dreamboats.

Also just be grateful you didn't come from BC. Only things good to come out of there are Brind'Amour, Yzerman and Sakic.

I lived in BC for 3 years but then they kicked me out. Guess I will have to be content, relegated to this mediocre life. Oh well

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Been following this guy for a while, has provided great insight on our Finnish prospects. Kinda cool he got a job with us. I see he deleted all his tweets, Canes making sure none of his good intel is tweeted now :laugh:

Big Finnish paper has today a piece on Jokke's appointment as a part-time amateur scout:

https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000007653114.html

Fantasy Hockey at the beginning of 2010's led into more careful following of the European prospects, led into joining Dobber Prospects in 2017 and editorship there, led into 1,5 years back founding a scouting team (that grew from 5 to 15 amateur amateur scouts) within the DP to only follow draft-eligible prospects. "A few" NHL teams were interested of him, but Canes did the first serious approaching three months back.

"I got the understanding that I wasn't the first scout hired to the Carolina scouting gang who came through a tad more peculiar path. They have been open for these sort of new ideas before. The openness begins from the GM and goes downwards from there."

"It's really good that some NHL organizations take brave first steps and dare hire scouts who came through a somewhat different route. Carolina is in the forefront of using the analytics and video scouting."

He stresses that he's not an expert in these fields despite his day job as an IT engineer, but he knows to listen to the wiser people in that. It was hard work that opened the door for him.

The part-timeness of the job was a mutual decision, because he's not quite ready to let go of his day job.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
Big Finnish paper has today a piece on Jokke's appointment as a part-time amateur scout:

https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000007653114.html

Fantasy Hockey at the beginning of 2010's led into more careful following of the European prospects, led into joining Dobber Prospects in 2017 and editorship there, led into 1,5 years back founding a scouting team (that grew from 5 to 15 amateur amateur scouts) within the DP to only follow draft-eligible prospects. "A few" NHL teams were interested of him, but Canes did the first serious approaching three months back.

"I got the understanding that I wasn't the first scout hired to the Carolina scouting gang who came through a tad more peculiar path. They have been open for these sort of new ideas before. The openness begins from the GM and goes downwards from there."

"It's really good that some NHL organizations take brave first steps and dare hire scouts who came through a somewhat different route. Carolina is in the forefront of using the analytics and video scouting."

He stresses that he's not an expert in these fields despite his day job as an IT engineer, but he knows to listen to the wiser people in that. It was hard work that opened the door for him.

The part-timeness of the job was a mutual decision, because he's not quite ready to let go of his day job.
Going off this article. This is a great Podcast with Darren Yorke of our Canes. Worth a listen

‎The EliteProspects Podcast on Apple Podcasts

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
It is known to be a winning strategy when doing your conscription that you never be the first or the last in anything.

We always subscribed to this rule when in University and living with roommates. Never open up a new food item that isn't yours, and never finish it off. Other than that it's fair game.

Now I didn't do this often but 3am coming home from the bar sometimes you have to eat something to live to fight another day!

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I wouldn’t mind this occurring.

I wouldn't put it past our front office to sign him if the price is right. de Haan, Dzingel, Gardiner were all signings out of left field that no one would have expected. But I think in this case he'll have to come really cheap in comparison to those guys. Hopefully he's friends with Aho and Teuvo.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He'd have to come cheap and he'd have to come with a short-ish term. We can't really afford another long term signing IMO. 1 year show me? Love it.
Probably aligns well with what he wants at this point as well. One year to showcase his skills with his “Finn Friends” so he can put the Nashville disaster behind him for a bigger contract next year.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Probably aligns well with what he wants at this point as well. One year to showcase his skills with his “Finn Friends” so he can put the Nashville disaster behind him for a bigger contract next year.

True, and we do have space for him to get a medium-term deal after next year, once Dougie and Svech get their contracts, the Semin buyout expires, and all of the Mrazek/Reimer/Foegele/McGinn/Martinook/Dzingel contracts expire. The only real tight squeeze is this year, unless they have a deal in place for dealing one of the above. I still think that Columbus is the leaning favorite for Granlund and Carolina is the leaning favorite for Vatanen, but time will tell. It could well be that Granlund was a far better fit for John Hynes than Laviolette, and he's therefore willing to give Nashville a 2nd chance, but again, we'll see what happens after the league and the NHLPA finally figure things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad