News Article: News and Notes XXVI: A Sisyphean Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I'm so sick of you not pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.

giphy.gif

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
The question is why our team S% is so low. Is it because we have bad players that can't shoot? Partly, yes. Wallmark is the primary example of this. He's got a decently high shot share with a pathetic 1.7%, and you know a good number of those are high danger. With Foegele you've got a lower shot share but a higher 6.5%, but most of that probably came in the early weeks. Outside of that, most players with a large share of shots are shooting below their career averages, with notable exceptions being Ferland and Martinook who are shooting well above their averages. Some, like Aho and TT, are slighly below their average S%. Here's the kicker: our top 3 shot producers are Dougie, Faulk, and Staal who have combined for 249 shots and only 9 goals. Faulk in particular is shooting at a piss poor 1.3%, so while his defense seems better, his offensive production has gotten even worse than last year. Dougie is on pace for his worst offensive year since 2014. Now, clearly Martinook has benefited greatly from playing with Wallmark and Svechnikov to add a few goals here and there, but not anything too amazing. I mean he's averaged 25 points or so over his career. The more interesting question is who's been carrying the TT-Aho-Ferland line. Aho was putting up crazy points before Ferland got injured and is real quiet now. But remember he's scoring less than last year. It seems like most players are suffering offensively, not just the grinders. Carolina Hurricanes Stats | 2018-2019

It also begs the question: why do we always have low shooting percentages? It seems like player's S% jump up when they go to other teams. Is it due to not having talent to play with or how they play here?
Wallmark posted 17% both seasons in the AHL, with quite decent shot volume too, so not just fluke numbers. So either the (pathetic, indeed) 1,9% is due to an extreme case of bad luck, the system or a strange case of the yips. Looking at the other stats, the Martinook-Wallmark-Svech line produces the most high danger scoring chances (evenly distributed among the three) on the whole team but none of them has a SH% over 10%. So that'd point to the direction that it's more a case of bad luck than anything else. But I guess it has to turn around pretty soon to be proven true.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Lurk Muller

Oct 11, 2018
His season high was 24:21 on Sunday against LA, he also played 23:00 against Anaheim. For the most part he’s been between 18-20 minutes.

He also hasn’t scored a goal in over a month now.
Thought this was about Faulk and felt pretty good(minus the lack of goals) for a second.... I'm disliking RBA even more than I thought I would...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce