News Article: News and Notes XXVI: A Sisyphean Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Staal was going through a malaise in his final years in Carolina. He did nothing in his short-stint with the Rangers either. I think he just needed a kick in the pants. Lindholm is succeeding in the same system. Why? He's playing with superior talent. It's as simple as that. When he had the opportunity to play with an actual 1st line driver consistently (Aho) in the back half of 16-17, he scored at a 60+ point clip. Skinner played at this level in Carolina in Peters' system. If this isn't another hot streak in Buffalo, then it's superior talent he's playing with.

Don't fall into the trap of overrating what's on this roster. Staal, Williams and McGinn are 3rd wheels on an actual scoring line. That trio was the 2nd line for an extended stretch. The 3rd line is an inconsistent 18 year old, a rookie bottom-6 center and a 4th liner. It's just a poorly built offense.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think it is the system. I think Peters' system, which Rod has just taken to a new level, is in someway encouraging shots to be taken that shouldn't be. At this point, I think the only way this gets fixed is if a coach with a different system comes in and forces his system on the team like Peters did with his system when he got here.

And yes, we need more guys here with hands, too. But when you see guys with hands like Staal and Lindholm and Skinner perform significantly above their levels here, and for extended periods like Staal, its hard to think it is just a matter of getting more skill into the system.

It's the system.

The same system that appears to work in Calgary?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Agree 100% here. Just watch them play. How many shots do they take a game that have 0 chance of going in? Other teams don't take these shots (at least not nearly as many). It was the same in the Bill Peters era. Its gotta either be coaching or the JAs in the stands yelling "shoooot" are having more of an effect than you'd think.

If the Canes stopped taking shots with zero chance of going in then half the roster (hell half of the top-9) wouldn’t be allowed to shoot at all. Jordan Staal being the absolute worst of the bunch for zero-danger shots.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
NHL.com - Stats

I don't know if there's much to look into here. But I think there's just no playmaking in the system. It's just take whatever shots you can and just whack at the reboundu unsuccessfully. The zone entries seem low tempo too. Only thing that's high tempo is the grinding. No offense off the rushes since we don't don't have any rushes.

This plays a factor too. 5v5 in-zone opportunities are pretty limited in the NHL. It's cycle, cycle, point shot for most teams. Carolina dominance in puck possession leads to more of those low grade chances. If I thought the Canes had the skill to score of the rush, I'd probably say their workrate is detrimental to their offense.

It's too bad the official scorekeepers don't track scoring chances and time of possession. Watching the Canes play has destroyed my interest in shots and their derivatives.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The pathway forward, unfortunately, is going to be patience. A Top 6 offensive driver is going to be hard to acquire externally. Svechnikov can develop into that. 11 of the 22 forwards selected in the Top 2 from 2000-2014 scored 78 points in a season by D+4. A long-term, Top 6 center to slot behind Aho is again, going to be difficult to acquire externally. Necas can develop into that.

Get those two lineup spots sorted out and roster building becomes much easier. Acquiring 3rd wheels for scoring lines and Bottom-6 forwards isn't a huge challenge. It's the 1st and 2nd options on the Top 6 lines that have been out of reach for this franchise for a decade.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Thats really what is boils down to we need two legitimate top 6 forwards. Not fringe bottom six forwards. In a ideal situation we could land two of (Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Silverburg, Kevin Hayes, Nyquist, Eric Staal) who are all upcoming UFA's. Pick up even just one of those caliber of guys and were in a much better situation. It was foolish for the front office to think "Svechnecas" were going to immediately contribute as top 6 forwards.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The same system that appears to work in Calgary?
Not exactly the same. We've definitely seen some changes in how it is played that leads to more shots, and less success here. We looked a lot better with Peters version of the system last year than we have this year...the only reason we look competitive this year is the Metro is a dumpster fire. t

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
If the Canes stopped taking shots with zero chance of going in then half the roster (hell half of the top-9) wouldn’t be allowed to shoot at all. Jordan Staal being the absolute worst of the bunch for zero-danger shots.

I understand this and am not opposed haha.

Maybe we should move away from the Gretzky "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" philosophy and to the William Prescott philosophy "Don't fire until you see the white of their eyes"

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I understand this and am not opposed haha.

Maybe we should move away from the Gretzky "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" philosophy and to the William Prescott philosophy "Don't fire until you see the white of their eyes"

We're doing something similar as we don't fire until we're staring down the goalies logo. We're hoping to somehow create a tear in the space/time continuum by generating 1.21 gigawatts of shot attempt power, so that the puck jumps dimensions through time, therefore effectively, to the naked eye at least, go through the goalie when essentially the puck is just there at a different moment in time when the net is empty.

They're still working out the kinks.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
We're doing something similar as we don't fire until we're staring down the goalies logo. We're hoping to somehow create a tear in the space/time continuum by generating 1.21 gigawatts of shot attempt power, so that the puck jumps dimensions through time, therefore effectively, to the naked eye at least, go through the goalie when essentially the puck is just there at a different moment in time when the net is empty.

It worked on Darling in practice.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
Not exactly the same. We've definitely seen some changes in how it is played that leads to more shots, and less success here. We looked a lot better with Peters version of the system last year than we have this year...the only reason we look competitive this year is the Metro is a dumpster fire. t
If we had Darling and Ward like last year did instead of McElhinney and Mrazek (and Darling), we'd be bottom 5.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Thats really what is boils down to we need two legitimate top 6 forwards. Not fringe bottom six forwards. In a ideal situation we could land two of (Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Silverburg, Kevin Hayes, Nyquist, Eric Staal) who are all upcoming UFA's. Pick up even just one of those caliber of guys and were in a much better situation. It was foolish for the front office to think "Svechnecas" were going to immediately contribute as top 6 forwards.

I promise I’ll step up my game.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
At $20 million under the Cap and looking as bad offensively as the Canes do they are probably best off just tanking and hoping to correct last offseason mistakes next year. Maybe Dundon will step up with the big boys and spend some $$. Teams will have Cap trouble again, guys like ROR will get moved for futures, decent crop of free agents, and a good top of the Draft to aim for.

Swing and a miss on this one. Send Williams and one of Faulk/Hamilton off at the TDL. Ferland too if you can’t sign him.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Agree 100% here. Just watch them play. How many shots do they take a game that have 0 chance of going in? Other teams don't take these shots (at least not nearly as many). It was the same in the Bill Peters era. Its gotta either be coaching or the JAs in the stands yelling "shoooot" are having more of an effect than you'd think.

I think a major element of it is that Peters emphasized holding onto the puck or taking shots at all costs, which meant lots of perimeter passing and perimeter shots- both of which are among the least effective things you can possibly do offensively. Rod has not corrected that, though there were some early signs he would.

In order to score, you need to drive to high danger areas with the puck before you take shots. This means you'll have a higher number of turnovers, but also MUCH better offensive opportunities. To drive to the center, you need physical power a la Ferland, or you need skilled hands to deke through people, a la Aho, or really fancy skating along with decent hands like... Skinner. Over the last few years, Skinner was the ONLY player to really take steps to move to high danger areas and get high percentage chances- it made him an incredibly effective goalscorer. It earned him the earnest hate of all of his coaches and many of the dumber fans, who called him a cancer and a defensive liability because he didn't go with the tremendously stupid strategy of only ever taking worthless shots from the boards. He wasn't a team player because, until the co-captaincy fiasco, they were never able to actually beat out his desire to play effective hockey. Last year, he was ineffective. He also hewed much more closely to the Peters system then he ever had. Yes, he turned the puck over more often than most players, but he did it by creating chances, and he got the puck back more than he turned it over. He had one of the best takeaway to turnover ratios in the league, let alone on the team. He took a lot of risks and scored a lot of goals. He only became less effective when he stopped taking risks because he stopped giving a f*** about the team that had so consistently f***ed him over. The team that slandered him because he decided to play good hockey when the coaches were trying to force him to playing a system that everyone with two brain cells to rub together could tell was a disaster. So now he's back to playing his game and is on a 50+ goal pace.

Early in the season, Rod had talked a lot about taking risks to make big plays, and that was one reason I was giving him a lot of rope. But the recent spate of useless risk and goal free hockey while refusing to play players who actually take risks and get results has convinced me- Rod needs to go. Now. As does Waddell- and I really think we need to be talking more about whether Tulsky is a significant source of these problems as well. The maximize corsi to magically win games on a budget approach stinks like high heaven of a stat nerd who doesn't actually understand the dynamics of the game that are actually driving the numbers. Ever since Tulsky was hired, we've heard about how the Hurricanes are trying to integrate advanced stats more and more deeply into hockey ops- I think our current system and our current results may be the fruit of that, not in spite of it.

Last edited:

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North

Fail. This strategy implies that we have at least one player capable of shooting the puck on net at 88 mph or more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad