News Article: News and Notes XXVI: A Sisyphean Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
So is he going to actually prevent other team's fans from buying tickets?

If, when the day comes, the other team is more exciting than ours, those tickets will find their way into the fans of the other teams regardless.

I'm not arguing that it's a one time cash grab. I'm arguing that if he's going to do it, he damned well better sell it out, because empty seats at the Sun Belt Winter Classic would be disastrous for everybody involved.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So is he going to actually prevent other team's fans from buying tickets?

If, when the day comes, the other team is more exciting than ours, those tickets will find their way into the fans of the other teams regardless.

I'm not arguing that it's a one time cash grab. I'm arguing that if he's going to do it, he damned well better sell it out, because empty seats at the Sun Belt Winter Classic would be disastrous for everybody involved.
Prevent? No, but make sure the demand from the visiting section is minimized? Absolutely.

No reason to schedule this against the likes of NYR, NYI, Pitt, Philly, Washington, Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, or even Nashville. Those fans would all pack it in. But that leaves a lot of other teams that would make a good game where the chances are pretty good it would be an overwhelmingly large Canes turnout.

And, he'll give tickets away before he lets Carter-Finley be empty. In fact, I would almost guarantee tickets will be cheaper than you'd expect with countless giveaways from when its announced to when its played for free entry.

Oldracer

Jan 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Fact of life: If you are a fan of a sunbelt team, you have to accept the fact that you will often have a major contingent of original 6 and 1st expansion teams (some of these teams are 100 yrs old!). But to put a bow on it, if it weren't for those obnoxious Pens, Sabres, Rags, Flyers' etc etc., we probably would still be an ECHL or maybe AHL town. And if you aren't at least a 1/4 season member quit yer bitchin!

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Last I heard the outdoor game was going to cost $8-9 million and Dundon wants it so bad that he is willing to open his pocketbook personally. It’s a logistical nightmare but it is a huge owner-directed push.

We should also be seeing the on-ice projection before the end of the year. January was the latest target.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Last I heard the outdoor game was going to cost $8-9 million and Dundon wants it so bad that he is willing to open his pocketbook personally. It’s a logistical nightmare but it is a huge owner-directed push.

We should also be seeing the on-ice projection before the end of the year. January was the latest target.
But remember.... after he spends the money to make that happen, he's going to pick up the team and move it to Houston or QC

:sarcasm:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I would think they'd be able to pull 30k with a Nashville-type easily. That extra 20k only happens with a Pitt-type.

I really hope they plan this for 2021 to avoid any lockout issues.
September 2019 is the deadline for NHL and NHLPA to opt out from the CBA and have it terminated in 2020, so we'll know then. But, timescale is probably the first thing they need to set up for this thing, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad