News and Notes XX: The off-season is near, lets go Golfing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Back to the great Darling-Ryan trade of 2017, it looks like terms have been finalized - 1 dinner, 1 Whole Foods gift card, and 3 goals allowed per practice.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
85 is the hard limit.

Not that I disagree with the point, IMHO cutting that to 75 would probably be a good thing for the competitiveness of Div 1 FB as well.

Again though, cutting 10 scholarships from football, still need about 10 more for hockey to add, as well as 10 more for (insert women's sport here), when most athletics programs in the US are operating fairly deep in the red.

Yes and no. 85 is a hard limit, but through the use of walk-ons and grey shirts, that number is extremely flexible. As they say in the coaching circles, the numbers always work.

As for the departments operating in the red, while this is technically true, there are some very interesting things that are done with the ledgers to get to there. Outside of a select few, most if not all athletic departments operate on a surplus where most of their revenue is stashed and hidden through donations which don't necessarily have to be reported, and if push really came to shove, they all have the ability to dip into public funding to make ends meet.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I'd like an interview with Kron and Joni on the draft selections. Seeing they got the guys they wanted the most.

Are we sure they wanted Necas over guys like Liljegren, Valimaki, Vesalainen, etc?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yes and no. 85 is a hard limit, but through the use of walk-ons and grey shirts, that number is extremely flexible. As they say in the coaching circles, the numbers always work.

As for the departments operating in the red, while this is technically true, there are some very interesting things that are done with the ledgers to get to there. Outside of a select few, most if not all athletic departments operate on a surplus where most of their revenue is stashed and hidden through donations which don't necessarily have to be reported, and if push really came to shove, they all have the ability to dip into public funding to make ends meet.

When I say operating in the black I mean capable of doing so without the subsidies from public funding. But yeah you're absolutely right that while they do claim x in donations every year there's no way to tell how much of that is hidden as well.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Anybody go to the open practice tonight? They have a one minute video up but I think is not very informative.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Anybody go to the open practice tonight? They have a one minute video up but I think is not very informative.

Yeah, I was there and wrote some stuff on the roster building thread. I referred to it as the Morgan Geekie show. I'd say he and Necas stood out the most. Felt that both Roy and Gauthier didn't have their best day.

Couple of guys who stood out that one might not think about:

Max Zimmer - dude is fast and has super good hands. He and Foegele had a sweet tic-tac-toe play with Warren finishing off a seeing eye pass from Max.

Steve Lorentz - netted several beutiful wrist shots. He must have a deceptive release.

Jack LaFontaine - made every stop that he was supposed to and a couple of other difficult ones. Got bowled over like 3 times and popped right back up.

Stelio Mattheos - he's more skilled than I gave him credit for being.

Matt Filipe - he's a very good skater with a hard wrist shot; needs to control it better.

Roy/Gauthier - both look like they need more time, but both also had a couple of impressive plays. Roy has very good hands and Gauthier is so strong and it shows in his offensive game. But both need polish.

Morgan Geekie - better skater than I expected. He can put the puck wherever he wants to when shooting. He's very good with the puck close to the net; doesn't lose possession and then gets an accurat shot off. He had like 4 or 5 highlight reel snipes.

Luke Martin - in a couple of seasons he'll be the right handed d-man prospect we're all talking about. He is a good skater, positionally sound, and I didn't see him get beat once, not even close.

There were some other good performances but some I expected (both Foegele and Kuokkanen looked very good, but they were supposed to in my eyes). No real disappointments, just some guys who were invisible.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Is anyone out of that group looking like serious challenger for roster spot? Or it`s too early to tell?

Last season Fleury looked head and shoulders above everybody on the ice....he was bigger, calmer, and just all around solid. So you could see the potential there for him to make the team. After Day 1 I didn't see that yesterday....however, I'd love to see a scrimmage where Geekie and Teravainen were on a line together.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Last season Fleury looked head and shoulders above everybody on the ice....he was bigger, calmer, and just all around solid. So you could see the potential there for him to make the team. After Day 1 I didn't see that yesterday....however, I'd love to see a scrimmage where Geekie and Teravainen were on a line together.
Thanks for this.
Are you going to be there every day?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So today I learned on the main board that North Carolina has absolutely no prestigious neurologists. They're all in sophisticated Chicago instead. Makes sense considering everyone here makes their living off of meth, and sometimes moonshine.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Where are you? Satin and I are over in 121 talking about how bad Edwardh sucks.

Damn, wish I had checked this sooner to meet up. I was whatever section was just to the right of the "promotion" booth, 2 rows up from a guy in a McBain t-shirt.

Aside from Roy, who was clearly the best out there, Luke Martin was my standout (if there is such a thing at one of these). Goat had better hands in tight than I would have thought. Kuokkanen attempted a lot of skill plays that usually resulted in nothing. Bean is impressive, but the off-putting thing to me was how gassed he looked early. I get these were basically bag skates, but no one else showed they were tired. Rubbed me the wrong way a bit. Not much out of Necas. Elynuik surprised me a bit. Can't really take much away from the goalies; Booth, LaFontaine and Helvig looked fine, didn't notice Makiniemi at all.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Damn, wish I had checked this sooner to meet up. I was whatever section was just to the right of the "promotion" booth, 2 rows up from a guy in a McBain t-shirt.

Aside from Roy, who was clearly the best out there, Luke Martin was my standout (if there is such a thing at one of these). Goat had better hands in tight than I would have thought. Kuokkanen attempted a lot of skill plays that usually resulted in nothing. Bean is impressive, but the off-putting thing to me was how gassed he looked early. I get these were basically bag skates, but no one else showed they were tired. Rubbed me the wrong way a bit. Not much out of Necas. Elynuik surprised me a bit. Can't really take much away from the goalies; Booth, LaFontaine and Helvig looked fine, didn't notice Makiniemi at all.
The McBain shirt was me :laugh:

Martin was the standout to me today, he always seemed to make the right play and the only time I saw him get beat was Goat simply going full beast mode and bulling his way through.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Could be gassed from a bug or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad