News and Notes XVI: RF's Vision Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
--The Hockey News, 2005-2006 preseason predictions

In 05-06, they added Whitney 70+ pts in 02-03, and Stillman 80pts in 03-04, and the 2nd overall pick was entering his 3rd year. On top of Kaberle, Commodore, Cullen, Williams (2nd half of 03-04), a new goaltending duo, a new coach, new rules, a missing season.

With massive turnover throughout the lineup, including two
guys 1 or 2 seasons removed from PPG play, and a 2oa franchise center, a surprise or even expected success was certainly a possibility given the unknowns.

The 15-16 Canes are rolling out basically the same everything. Versteeg/Staal/Nash out, Stempniak/TT/Aho in.

This season, they are relying on a bunch of the younger guys making unexpected huge leaps in production.

It could happen. But there's no reason to think it will happen.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, in fairness to Wally, the two biggest issues last year were goaltending and goal scoring. The goaltending are the same 2 guys and last season, the Canes had no major injuries up front. So they are banking on a bunch of new/young guys to add scoring while not losing anything from the returning guys or having any major injuries.

Still, I'm cautiously optimistic that the team will be at least competitive, but there were only 5 wins separating the Canes and 29th place Edm. last year so there's not a lot of margin between bubble team and bottom 5.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
My only expectation for this team is that they be fun to watch. I want to see the offensive creativity of our new kids, and even some of our "old" ones, come to play.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
In 05-06, they added Whitney 70+ pts in 02-03, and Stillman 80pts in 03-04, and the 2nd overall pick was entering his 3rd year. On top of Kaberle, Commodore, Cullen, Williams (2nd half of 03-04), a new goaltending duo, a new coach, new rules, a missing season.

With massive turnover throughout the lineup, including two
guys 1 or 2 seasons removed from PPG play, and a 2oa franchise center, a surprise or even expected success was certainly a possibility given the unknowns.

The 15-16 Canes are rolling out basically the same everything. Versteeg/Staal/Nash out, Stempniak/TT/Aho in.

This season, they are relying on a bunch of the younger guys making unexpected huge leaps in production.

It could happen. But there's no reason to think it will happen.

There's no reason to think they will be garbage, either. There's every reason to think they'll be a bit better than last year and competitive -- as they were last year after their horrendous start.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
13913752_10154214855116013_2945189578552557302_o.jpg

Pic of Faulk in his AHL short stint.
I remember meeting him, have his autograph on a jersey.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
There's no reason to think they will be garbage, either. There's every reason to think they'll be a bit better than last year and competitive -- as they were last year after their horrendous start.

I think they can be a bit better than last year, and still expect to finish further down the standings. Being 10th with a -28 goal differential strikes me as the upper limits of luck.

And I think it's a toss up whether or not they are better than last year.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I can't stress enough how important it is to get off to a good start to begin the season. We all know this team is going to go on a hot streak late in the year and have good spurts before and shortly after the All Star Break.

Start the year off good, then see where that takes us. Might as well put those late winning streaks to good use for once.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think they can be a bit better than last year, and still expect to finish further down the standings. Being 10th with a -28 goal differential strikes me as the upper limits of luck.

Your world must be deeply sad.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

probably finish #deadlast, but who cares. We're all just going to die cold and alone anyway.

*whomp whomp*

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
P sure that Aho-Lindholm-TT will become Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler circa 2014-15, put up 75 goals, and lead the team to a 2nd place Metro finish. Canes pick up Ben Bishop at the deadline and win a Cup. It's all I have to cling to in this wretched, sad world.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Bolts are probably going to wait til after the season to move Bishop TBQH. Same with the Pens and Fleury.

Bishop is a UFA, so the Bolts will either move him or lose him for nothing. Still a good chance they keep him just as insurance, though.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Anyone have Dish Network here? Any problems getting the Canes games? That's my #1 concern. If I can still get all the Canes games I can save me $50 a month from switching to TWC :naughty:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
They'll get something for his rights. Might not be much but it'll be something.

I think it's more dependent on how well Vasilevsky plays this season. If he's playing lights out as a starter you are likely to see Bishop moved at the deadline. If they think Vasilevsky isn't ready to carry the team into the playoffs you will be right and are likely to see Bishop kept through the playoffs and maybe see his rights shopped in the off season. Another big deciding factor is if Tampa can get a quality backup in the deal for the playoffs.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Thankfully, my happiness isn't tied to needing to talk myself into the Hurricanes being good. That'd be depressing, I assume?

No more depressing than the need to project your pessimism in order to protect yourself from disappointment, I'd imagine. But you do you.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think it's more dependent on how well Vasilevsky plays this season. If he's playing lights out as a starter you are likely to see Bishop moved at the deadline. If they think Vasilevsky isn't ready to carry the team into the playoffs you will be right and are likely to see Bishop kept through the playoffs and maybe see his rights shopped in the off season. Another big deciding factor is if Tampa can get a quality backup in the deal for the playoffs.

Why would Vasilevsky be the starter? Ben Bishop finished 2nd for Vezina last year, and was 8-2 in the playoffs. The Lightning want to win the cup.

I'm not sold on Bishop being the guy that's moved when it's all said and done. The financial situation obviously would have to be sorted out, but resigning Bishop and then dealing Vasilevsky seems like the best option. You keep a top 3 goaltender, and get a huge haul for a guy that you won't miss.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Why would Vasilevsky be the starter? Ben Bishop finished 2nd for Vezina last year, and was 8-2 in the playoffs. The Lightning want to win the cup.

I'm not sold on Bishop being the guy that's moved when it's all said and done. The financial situation obviously would have to be sorted out, but resigning Bishop and then dealing Vasilevsky seems like the best option. You keep a top 3 goaltender, and get a huge haul for a guy that you won't miss.

I think most people look at their Cap issues and assume they prefer the much cheaper option. Doesn't matter from the Canes side, give a medium amount for Bishop as a rental or a boatload for Vasi as a long-term starter. If that is the route that TB goes they back themselves into a corner by absolutely having to move Vasi by the Expansion Draft. They can't lose him for nothing.

Edit: I guess not really. They could just protect Vasi and then sign Bishop to a big deal in July. Still doesn't make sense to keep Vasilevski around as a backup long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad