News and Notes XV: Get Well Soon Nestrasil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Faulk still has stretches where he is a liability, but it's like 1 bad isolated period or game where he just looks like crap in his own end. That doesn't make you a defensive liability. I watched Duncan Keith play one of the worst hockey games I've ever seen from a top airing defenseman in the playoffs a couple years ago. It may have even been during his Conn Smythe run, but I don't recall. Sometimes even the best guys have bad nights. If a scout or analyst happens to catch a clunker, that's what they remember. It's not like anyone is watching 82 games of Justin Faulk but us.

That **** drives me crazy. Blinders for any Norris caliber types, huge liability issues for the next tier.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think with Bill Peter's system, with the dmen making their stand at the blue line, it's going to make dmen look like they are 'getting beat' more than the normal fall back strategy.

The only problem I have with Faulk defensively, is he's a bit sloppy with the puck coming out of the zone. And even that, again, goes back to Peter's system, where instead of making the safe offensive stunting play of chipping it up the boards, the dmen are asked to maintain possession and carry it out when they can.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think with Bill Peter's system, with the dmen making their stand at the blue line, it's going to make dmen look like they are 'getting beat' more than the normal fall back strategy.

The only problem I have with Faulk defensively, is he's a bit sloppy with the puck coming out of the zone. And even that, again, goes back to Peter's system, where instead of making the safe offensive stunting play of chipping it up the boards, the dmen are asked to maintain possession and carry it out when they can.

Well, I think it's more of a matter of Faulk not being an elite skater. He's a laborer. Hanifin and Murphy have very little problem carrying the mail in our system. I just don't think Faulk has the lateral agility or the passing to be a guy that starts offense. He's more of a play finisher than starter. The Shea Weber comparison crops up again for me. You're not likely to see him hauling the puck end to end often. But you will see him prominently featured on the PP with that big shot of his. The entire PP funnels through that shot. Same with Faulk. But if you're looking for a traditional offensive defenseman that racks up 40-50 assists per season, you need to look away from Faulk and towards Hanifin. The early returns are good.

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Well, I think it's more of a matter of Faulk not being an elite skater. He's a laborer. Hanifin and Murphy have very little problem carrying the mail in our system. I just don't think Faulk has the lateral agility or the passing to be a guy that starts offense. He's more of a play finisher than starter. The Shea Weber comparison crops up again for me. You're not likely to see him hauling the puck end to end often. But you will see him prominently featured on the PP with that big shot of his. The entire PP funnels through that shot. Same with Faulk. But if you're looking for a traditional offensive defenseman that racks up 40-50 assists per season, you need to look away from Faulk and towards Hanifin. The early returns are good.

That's why a Hanifin-Faulk pairing could be so special in the future. Their games compliment each other so well.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Well, I think it's more of a matter of Faulk not being an elite skater. He's a laborer. Hanifin and Murphy have very little problem carrying the mail in our system. I just don't think Faulk has the lateral agility or the passing to be a guy that starts offense.

I thought Hanifin had the same exact problem last year. And Sekera the year before.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
What Vagrant and Wally have said is dead on and it has been part of my opinion on where Faulk stands. He is a solid straight line skater but carrying the puck up the ice isn't his strong suit. He lacks lateral mobility and isn't particularly deceptive with the puck. I would say even Pesce has better moments at times getting up the ice or making the first pass, though I think that's because he does a good job of knowing when he has a play and when he doesn't. Hanifin and Slavin are clearly better at it. I actually question how well this system plays to Faulk's skill set in terms of A) stepping up in neutral ice and B) the need to make a good escape move, take a few strides forward and bulls eye a pass to a moving forward. His system loves the mobile, lateral skating types. Liles was a good example. Custom made for guys like that. It allows for smaller types who would get run over deep in their end, and allows them to use their skill to get out the d zone quick. When you can find big guys who can do it, all the better.

I don't know if the kids would have been so good their first year if it wasn't for the system. It bothers me that Murphy didn't excel in it. He should crush it, but he doesn't seem to see the play quick enough. I think he got by on sprinting up the ice and not needing to do much till he was deep in the offensive zone.

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I thought Murphy played pretty decent before his injury and time spent in Charlotte.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Michal Jordan with the gwg for the Czechs today.

Finland is currently torching Canada 4-0. Aho with one assist, and the scoring was opened by Checkers legend Tommi Kivisto.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I thought Hanifin had the same exact problem last year. And Sekera the year before.

Well, Sekera was never intended to be a guy that carried the puck a lot. I still contend that we got the best hockey out of that player he's capable of producing. Which is why it wasn't entirely heartbreaking when we decided to move on. As far as Hanifin is concerned, to me it looked like an issue of timing for him. It comes down to the fact that when people say "the game is faster up here," one of the ways is that the players even on your own team are much quicker. Which means that a player from the defense, with forechecking pressure, has an *incredibly* limited time to make that decisive first pass if he's hoping to spring a rush. Hanifin was guilty of holding on to the puck a little too long and forcing his forwards to slow down on entry or just run out of time entirely and be forced to dump it. That's not uncommon in a player his age. In fact, it's uncommon to expect him to already be playing at a speed that can match how quickly his linemates are transitioning. As soon as a defenseman gains relatively safe possession, the forwards bolt. If you miss that wave, you slow down the entire unit. What was encouraging to me was seeing how Hanifin diagnosed those plays every odd time. The natural instincts are there, and the ability to skate himself into his passing lane is remarkable. Just a really low pulse kid. Doesn't seem overly bothered by all that's flying past him, which is the opposite of Murphy who is several years his senior. Which is part of the reason I worry for Murphy.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Halfway surprised that 2006 hasn't been brought up by any of them in the 10,000,000,000 Faulk threads.

Well if that two-bit thug Andrew Ladd hadn't viciously barrelled into their 97-year-old goalie at 300 mph, they would've won the Cup y'know. and Brind'amour cheats on faceoffs

drganon

Jun 24, 2014
After reading through the "Bettmann ruined hockey" thread, Im begining to see why everyone hates the leafs.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
After reading through the "Bettmann ruined hockey" thread, Im begining to see why everyone hates the leafs.

At least Leaf fan entitlement comes from somewhere. Lack of success aside, they are the NY Yankees of the NHL, they have the money and prestige that nobody else in the league can really match.

Oiler fan entitlement is another thing altogether, I don't know if anything other than intensive psychiatric studies can crack that one.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Behold:
FaulkUnicorn.jpg

Credit to Viqsi on the trade board.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So guys... are we responsible for this? Please tell me we're responsible for this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canes/comments/4jwqn9/faulk_trade_rumors_to_oilers/

:biglaugh:

No, that's more the Oilers board and their incredibly homerish media (Stauffer) seeing a team that needs forward help, with a young bordering on elite RHD, and then going all insane land on their valuation of both their own player and the guy they're trying to get like they literally ALWAYS do.

Seriously though, Stauffer makes even Jack Edwards seem like an unbiased source by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad