News and Notes Part 11: Where we find out how many goals Malone can score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Don't really mind, thought he was a decent project pick at the time but didn't end up progressing well.

I thought when we drafted him, he was at best, a grinder bottom six guy who didn't have much offensive skill. What kind of progression were you looking for (not being sarcastic with that comment, honestly curious what was expected)?

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
once again you are basically describing every sport

Clearly we won't agree. I understand baseball very, very well (I'm a diehard Cubs fan). I think you are over rating the complexity of baseball. I've played both baseball and football (more baseball than football) as well as numerous other sports and coached hockey and baseball, but our discussion is about the professional level, not lower levels. Virtually every 1st and 2nd year football player talks about how much time they need to spend in learning playbooks or they won't even hit the field. Sure, it varies by position, but you don't hear that in baseball at all.

To me, it's simple. In football, every single play you have 11 guys on each team moving and working as 1 unit and reacting, real time to what the other team does. I'm guessing 75% of plays in baseball include 3 players (Pitcher, catcher and batter) and even if a ball is put into play, only 4-5 at once. For that reason alone, each football play is exceedingly more complex. And football has the same "tendencies" to worry about (what do they do on 3rd and 1 vs. 3rd and 3? Does it change when they are on the 30 vs. the 50? etc...)

IMO, it's not even close. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate baseball and am not saying there isn't any thinking. I enjoy going to games and do like some of the cat and mouse that goes on. I just don't buy the fluff about it being a "thinking man's game" more than other sports. I'm not saying there is NO thinking in baseball, just that it really doesn't compare to football in terms of complexity.

See that's your problem #cubs :sarcasm: Not to mention "I am right and your are wrong. You know nothing about baseball". :sarcasm:. Again, in all seriousness we'll just have to disagree. Fielding plays alone require EVERY player to be moving, covering, backing up, throwing, etc. And it is different for nearly every area where a ball is put into play. You are minimizing the complexity of baseball because you seemingly like football better. You don't have to buy the "fluff"; I get that we view it differently and the sophistication that I see might be lost on you. :D

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
I thought when we drafted him, he was at best, a grinder bottom six guy who didn't have much offensive skill. What kind of progression were you looking for (not being sarcastic with that comment, honestly curious what was expected)?

I thought it was more of a project pick. He was a big guy who worked hard and didn't get big minutes in Kitchener but moving forward he would be in a more important top six role playing with more offensive players he could work on that side of his game. Look at Nick Paul who was in similar circumstances as Pedersen in their draft year, but taking on a bigger role he flourished where Pedersen just went on doing his thing.

Even grinders can put up some decent offensive stats playing 2+ with good minutes but he sort of just stagnated. Even comparing him to Sterk who was his linemate a few years ago who went undrafted, I would say Pedersen brings a lot less to the table than he does.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
(I'm a diehard Cubs fan).

Awesome, someone who feels my pain. In Theo We Trust.

This debate is dumb. Even the most ardent baseball purists can admit that football is more complex. Yeah, there's a lot to baseball most casual fans don't pick up on, but that can be said of any sport.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
See that's your problem #cubs :sarcasm: Not to mention "I am right and your are wrong. You know nothing about baseball". :sarcasm:. Again, in all seriousness we'll just have to disagree. Fielding plays alone require EVERY player to be moving, covering, backing up, throwing, etc. And it is different for nearly every area where a ball is put into play. You are minimizing the complexity of baseball because you seemingly like football better. You don't have to buy the "fluff"; I get that we view it differently and the sophistication that I see might be lost on you. :D

I don't like football better. I enjoy both, but for different reasons. I prefer to watch football on TV, but prefer baseball Live. I also played a LOT more baseball than football in my life and enjoy playing it more. I'm also not underestimating baseball, I fully understand that things like backing up, cut-off men, squeeze plays, etc..add complexity. It's just not on the level of football. It's really not that difficult of a concept. 1 sport has 22 players from both sides engaged, moving, reacting, and integral to every play. The other has well over half the plays that involve only 3 (Pitcher, catcher, hitter).

You just don't like that your romantic view of the sport really is not true. :sarcasm: :D

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I thought it was more of a project pick. He was a big guy who worked hard and didn't get big minutes in Kitchener but moving forward he would be in a more important top six role playing with more offensive players he could work on that side of his game. Look at Nick Paul who was in similar circumstances as Pedersen in their draft year, but taking on a bigger role he flourished where Pedersen just went on doing his thing.

Even grinders can put up some decent offensive stats playing 2+ with good minutes but he sort of just stagnated. Even comparing him to Sterk who was his linemate a few years ago who went undrafted, I would say Pedersen brings a lot less to the table than he does.

Thanks. That makes sense. I wonder, did the Canes just not want to sign him because of stalled development? or did he think the grass was greener if he tried again? I was assuming he didn't want to sign.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
basketball is the hardest by a long shot though. like david blatt said, in order to be an nba coach, you need to simultaneously be a surgeon and a fighter pilot.

Meh, I disagree. Basketball, at the professional level, is dominated by 1 on 1 play and superstars. Not saying it's easy, but it's not tougher than other sports.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
News to me if you're supposed to think when playing baseball. I was doing somersaults in between talking to myself in the outfield half the time out of boredom.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I don't like football better. I enjoy both, but for different reasons. I prefer to watch football on TV, but prefer baseball Live. I also played a LOT more baseball than football in my life and enjoy playing it more. I'm also not underestimating baseball, I fully understand that things like backing up, cut-off men, squeeze plays, etc..add complexity. It's just not on the level of football. It's really not that difficult of a concept. 1 sport has 22 players from both sides engaged, moving, reacting, and integral to every play. The other has well over half the plays that involve only 3 (Pitcher, catcher, hitter).

You just don't like that your romantic view of the sport really is not true. :sarcasm: :D

Eye of the beholder my friend, eye of the beholder....

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Not allowed for this geo region.

:(

basically Eric and Rick Curran meeting with Ron Francis this week about a potential extension, mentions for less than he's currently making. Will be an important meeting for Eric's future in Carolina.

Then they talk about Todd Nelson being connected to Charlotte and a couple other AHL teams

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'll be disappointed if he signs an extension prior to the season. Best thing for the franchise is to rent him out at the deadline. Obviously that's a huge risk as a player, you get seriously injured you're screwed. Is it possible/legal to work up a contract that wouldn't kick in until the season is over, while still allowing him to finish out his current contract elsewhere?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'll be disappointed if he signs an extension prior to the season. Best thing for the franchise is to rent him out at the deadline. Obviously that's a huge risk as a player, you get seriously injured you're screwed. Is it possible/legal to work up a contract that wouldn't kick in until the season is over, while still allowing him to finish out his current contract elsewhere?

I'm of the same opinion.

I don't think it's that big of a risk for Eric. He's made $36M over his career (-agent's cut). I realize it's a lot easier to rationalize with other people's money, but my point is it's not like he's a guy on the cusp of his 1st big deal and could be screwed if he gets hurt. Also, at his age, not getting to the playoffs/not having a chance to compete for the cup again might be a bigger risk than the financial one.

Seems to make too much sense to me. Wait to give him an extension. At the deadline, if the Canes are in it, work on the extension (if Francis wants to re-sign him). At the deadline, if the Canes are out of it, trade him to a contender where he'll get to be in the playoffs again and try to re-sign him in the off-season. Seems like a win-win to me.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'd also have to figure he'll have a job with the organization when his playing days are over, so they'll take care of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad