Newbie's observations on playing ice hockey

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
This debate ends right here, calling someone an idiot because they disagree with you already red flags your personality.

I'm not interested, have a good time with that.

Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit either. I don't see the word "idiot" or any similar euphemism anywhere in there. All that was stated is that you clearly lack a basic understanding of how polls work, which is simply true. Cptjeff as well as hoonking echoed that sentiment.

I'm not sure how pointing out the obvious red flags my personality, but the degree of insecurity you have shown is something you should worry about, not my personality, ace.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Trouble is that he's right. In terms of polling, if a sample is random for a fairly homogeneous population, a sample of about 20 has been shown to give a pretty good representation of proportion in opinion. Anything above that is just compensating for diversity in the population and reducing margin of error. If you're complaining about the sample size, you really don't understand how polling works. Much smaller percentages have successfully predicted national elections.

Whatever the case may be on polling ... I don't think Ovie is the best player in the NHL. He totally disregarded my opinion and posted a poll. Like saying "here read this because you are too stupid to know any better".

I am sure Ovie thinks his blade pattern is the best in the world too .... I DON'T. Me, I, ... I don't. I don't care what people who play against him think, I don't play against him and it has nothing to do with the conversation.

12 out 14 doctors say I should take Nyquil when I have a cold .... I don't because I don't like Nyquil. I don't care how good a professional tells me it is.

I'm sure they (NHL players), if polled, would not recommend I use Harrow hockey sticks but TO ME they are the best stick I have ever used. if I were an NHL GM I would not go after an Ovechkin or a Kovalchuk because I don't believe it would be the best thing for my team.

I know what I see .... players like Crosby are not one dimentional and therefore TO ME are more valuable and better players than one trick ponies. Throw Kessel into that lot, regular season he is a 40 goal scorer because all he does is shoot from all over the place.

I'm not comparing the two as equals so don't go there, I am a firm believer in hockey being a team sport and players like Ovie bug me.

Apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit either. I don't see the word "idiot" or any similar euphemism anywhere in there. All that was stated is that you clearly lack a basic understanding of how polls work, which is simply true. Cptjeff as well as hoonking echoed that sentiment.

I'm not sure how pointing out the obvious red flags my personality, but the degree of insecurity you have shown is something you should worry about, not my personality, ace.

See more insults ....

I know what polling is .... they talked to only 50 players. I said go ask the Blackhawks who lost Campbell for the season from a dirty hit. Did you get that? In other words they need to ask a lot more than just 50 players and besides I clearly stated I do not care what the NHL players think of him. I just explained that above here.

He was posting a poll in sort of way to prove me wrong saying I do not know what I am talking about and what I said has nothing to do with that. I stated an opinion and it hasn't changed. the answer is always "if you could read you know what I am saying" as an answer to anyone who disagrees with them in a debate. he must be a Liberal progressive, they do the same thing on the internet everywhere. "if you don't see my point of view then you are dumb".

Last edited:

Superstar Treatment

Sep 20, 2009
732 Jersey
People like Crosby, people like Ovechkin. People also dislike both players. There's legit reasons to like/dislike both players. That's all. This debate has gone on probably more than any other one on this site.

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
Whatever the case may be on polling ... I don't think Ovie is the best player in the NHL. He totally disregarded my opinion and posted a poll. Like saying "here read this because you are too stupid to know any better".

I am sure Ovie thinks his blade pattern is the best in the world too .... I DON'T. Me, I, ... I don't. I don't care what people who play against him think, I don't play against him and it has nothing to do with the conversation.

12 out 14 doctors say I should take Nyquil when I have a cold .... I don't because I don't like Nyquil. I don't care how good a professional tells me it is.

I'm sure they (NHL players), if polled, would not recommend I use Harrow hockey sticks but TO ME they are the best stick I have ever used. if I were an NHL GM I would not go after an Ovechkin or a Kovalchuk because I don't believe it would be the best thing for my team.

I know what I see .... players like Crosby are not one dimentional and therefore TO ME are more valuable and better players than one trick ponies. Throw Kessel into that lot, regular season he is a 40 goal scorer because all he does is shoot from all over the place.

I'm not comparing the two as equals so don't go there, I am a firm believer in hockey being a team sport and players like Ovie bug me.

I disregarded your OPINION with FACTS. Facts outweigh opinions, in case you are unaware of that as well. I'm not sure which one trick Ovechkins is, be it goals or assists, because he averages more per game than Crosby in both, as well as all of the other FACTUAL statistics that I quoted.

But hey, I'm sure your opinion on the matter is more valuable than the guys that actually play against them.

It is not a fact that Ovechkin is better than Crosby; however, there is a lot of factual evidence that exists that shows that he most likely is.

"Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one and most of them stink."

The good thing is that in America you still have the right to be wrong.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Well, having played my whole life, I can tell you that the heat is something you get used to. When I was little, I used to get really hot and uncomfortable on the ice, but now I actually get cold.

I will speculate that that is happening because you are using less energy as your skill level has risen as you've gotten older. I'm a nervous wreck when I step on the ice if it isn't with other beginners, and I sweat far more with better players around me as the expectations to perform are so much higher.

I remember when I first started in basketball that bad feeling in your stomach when you blew some easy shots, and the rest of your team would stop passing to you, no matter how open :shakehead

That's why I try so hard in hockey to dig for pucks and skate hard, since I do not want to be frozen out as a noob, where noone passes to me.

The pants are an absolutely necessity. They will save your life one day when you get hit by a puck that would normally destroy your ability to skate temporarily, but instead can just get away with a sting or maybe a bruise.

Oooh, I'm not saying that there should not be some type of protection there, it is the style/design of the gear. For example, I'm not clothing designer, but why couldn't as an idea could the pants have the socks attached to them, so that when you pull up your pants, the socks will cover the shin pads. The pads themselves could re-designed so that they provide protection all the way around your leg, and have straps that would hold it in place - no tape needed. The lower portion of the pants could "latch" onto hooks on the shin pads, keeping everything in place.

As things function now, they just seem very dated, a pain to put on, and inefficient. :help:

I'm not familiar with Nike's fresh perspective...What were they trying to do?

It seemed that Nike was trying to apply their advanced R&D into the skate design, both in terms of weight, materials, improving speed, etc. Nike brings a fresh perspective to their design, and as I mentioned above it definitely seems like ice hockey gear could use some modernizing...

Your opinion is very interesting..It provides some perspective that I've never heard before.

You suggesting that hockey players might not find knitting to be a suitable off-season method of recreation? ;)

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
Well there it is yet again "You're stupid HF68" .... go away.

I have not seen him say you are stupid in any of his posts. Instead, you are taking what he says as an insult. What you quoted was his attempt at trying to point out to you what you seemed to be missing. That, however, is not the same as calling someone stupid.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Well there it is yet again "You're stupid HF68" .... go away.

Will you "lunkheads" take this outside, before I have to call Don Koharski? This is MY thread... :rant:

-------------------------------------------

People like Crosby, people like Ovechkin. People also dislike both players. There's legit reasons to like/dislike both players. That's all. This debate has gone on probably more than any other one on this site.

I'll violate my statement above with this, I actually like both players - alot. As a comparison, I see Crosby as a Gretzky-type playmaker/passer extraordonaire, and Ovechkin as a Messier-style sniper/scorer/rough-houser. Different styles, but both wonderful players.

Given the level of talent on my beloved Isles, I'd be satisfied if just the left arm of either player were to join my hometown team...

Last edited:

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I was at a pick-up game last night and there were lots of chirping. Spent half the time on the bench chuckling at some of the remarks. Some of which can't be repeated.

Uniform wise things are good. The alternative (roller hockey pants or cooperalls)... uh no.

The new sleaker jerseys are kinda cool, but I think I still prefer the baggier CCMs.

Don't knock 'em till you've tried 'em. The roller hockey pants I wear are worn with an ice hockey girdle and I tape the legs the same way one would tape their socks.

I don't see what all the hubbub is about thinking roller hockey pants don't belong in ice hockey. They are cool, much cooler than pants and socks. They are also a lot less restrictive than hockey pants.

The only Cooper-All product I owned were elbow pads with the Armor foam stuff which I retired last year as they were finally falling apart from age and use.

What I do want to try are some Tackla hockey pants perported to be the BEST and most comfortable hockey pant by some guys in here I trust the opinions of.

Last edited:

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa

See, you're not the only one I've heard say things like this, however I do not understand it at all. I dont understand, how with the facts presented, you, or people could still feel that way or make statements such as that.

How can Ovi be a "one trick pony" when, in addition to his goals, he:

• has more assists, which indicates he passes the puck and sets up goals for teammates more than Crosby
  • has a better +/-, which indicates he keeps the opponent from scoring as often as Crosby
  • has more hits, which indicates he's a more physical player and presence on the ice
  • has more points, which indicates he has contributed more to his team

We can argue who is better and you can have an opinion on that, thats fine, however, I dont see you can sit there with a straight face and call him a one trick pony or say he is not a more complete player than Crosby is. All the numbers and facts would seem to indicate otherwise.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
I don't see what all the hubbub is about thinking roller hockey pants don't belong in ice hockey. They are cool, much cooler than pants and socks. They are also a lot less restrictive than hockey pants.

Cause they look ridiculous. Especially when you tape over them.

I have always hated roller hockey uniforms. They are silly looking and the pants flopping around the ankles just looks lame. In my personal opinion of course. ;)

I dont see how people complain about socks being hot. I've never felt my calves are too hot.

I do hate getting dressed, but its just cause there is a lot of crap to put on. I dont see how any of it could be streamlined much though. Already, the jocks that have the velcro on them for socks is great cause the garter was a pain. As a kid, my mom would sew my socks to a pair of gym shorts so I'd just slide them all on at once and pull the pants on over them.

You dont want the pants and socks to be part of the same piece of gear cause I go through socks much more often than I go through pants. having to replace both at the same time would suck.

I guess I'm just a traditionalist and think the look of the uniform is great in hockey and I dont see much in the way of being able to make it more efficient.

Hell, look at baseball. That is also a traditional look, or football too. Uniforms have looked basically the same forever, hockey is the same and should stay looking the same. Half the reason Cooperalls didnt work was because of the look. People didnt like the long pant look. What Cooperalls did was bring forth the idea of a girdle for protection and the idea has lived a long life with a normal "shorts" looking shell instead of the long pant look. However, some dont like the girdle feeling (like me). I like the traditional loose pant fit.

One thing I've thought of recently would almost be more of a goalie style upper body garment for the skater. Something in which the elbow pads were part of the shoulder pad (connected to the bicep pad) so that I wasnt constantly trying to keep my elbow pads from sliding down my arm. :laugh:

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Cause they look ridiculous. Especially when you tape over them.

I have always hated roller hockey uniforms. They are silly looking and the pants flopping around the ankles just looks lame. In my personal opinion of course. ;)

Yeah because we know that looking good is the most important thing in hockey. By the way they are taped like hockey socks, nothing is flapping around anywhere.

Good grief.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Wait, werent you the one just complaining about Ovi overly celebrating looking silly and giving hockey a bad name?

Since when are looks important when celebrating and not when just playing?

No, its not the most important thing, but every player I see wearing roller hockey pants looks like they just pulled a pair of warmups out of the back of their closet and threw them on. They are baggy and loose and if it wasnt related to the sport of hockey, would have sworn that they were invented in the hood or something.

Ok, maybe if you're playing some shinny or pickup, but, beer league or not, I dont think you should look like a bum out there and should have a proper uniform on. RH pants generally are not tight around the shins, so when you tape them, they look like someone wearing pants that are taped up as not to flop, it looks silly. At least hockey socks fit tight so when you tape the shins, it doesnt affect the look at all.

You're telling me, when you wrap tape around the outside of pants like this, they dont flop around at all? Look how loose they are, when you tape them, you have a ridiculous look. Hell, even when they arent taped they're ridiculous looking.

fit_roller+hock+pants.jpg

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Wait, werent you the one just complaining about Ovi overly celebrating looking silly and giving hockey a bad name?

Since when are looks important when celebrating and not when just playing?

No, its not the most important thing, but every player I see wearing roller hockey pants looks like they just pulled a pair of warmups out of the back of their closet and threw them on. They are baggy and loose and if it wasnt related to the sport of hockey, would have sworn that they were invented in the hood or something.

Ok, maybe if you're playing some shinny or pickup, but, beer league or not, I dont think you should look like a bum out there and should have a proper uniform on. RH pants generally are not tight around the shins, so when you tape them, they look like someone wearing pants that are taped up as not to flop, it looks silly. At least hockey socks fit tight so when you tape the shins, it doesnt affect the look at all.

You're telling me, when you wrap tape around the outside of pants like this, they dont flop around at all? Look how loose they are, when you tape them, you have a ridiculous look. Hell, even when they arent taped they're ridiculous looking.

fit_roller+hock+pants.jpg

I'm 6ft 4 in 245lbs. Nothing fits on me loosely.

You are stereotyping rollerhockey pants. Is that me in your photo? Um .... no. I said I TAPE THEM UP JUST LIKE HOCKEY SOCKS .... NOTHING FLAPS AROUND ANYWHERE. I WEAR AN ICE HOCKEY GIRDLE UNDER THEM. Does the bigger type help you out with this or what? I should add, though it shouldn't matter, that they are a plain black with no designs or striping on them.

I'm not going to touch the Ovi thing again, move on. I wouldn't care if Ovie wore rollerhockey pants. I've explained my issue with him enough already. It is there still to read. Somebody else complained about his celebrating, I didn't.

I do not recall commenting on how Ovechkin looks, not even once.

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
Don't get me wrong, he is a great player but guys like that can kill a team when he is the go to guy all the time especially in the playoffs where it is nowhere like the regular season time and space. They found that out last year.

I don't like the cheap hits he has given out, I do not care that he just plays all out all the time ... there is a limit.

He would be a much better player if he paid attention to his own end as well.

I dislike how he hams for the camera I guess is my point. Too much bling.

Shut up and just play because you are good ... just play, strip off the chrome and just play. Be a hockey player and not a controversy in the vein of an Avery. Not the same controversies but similar attention ***** type.

I'm 6ft 4 in 245lbs. Nothing fits on me loosely.

You are stereotyping rollerhockey pants. Is that me in your photo? Um .... no. I said I TAPE THEM UP JUST LIKE HOCKEY SOCKS .... NOTHING FLAPS AROUND ANYWHERE. I WEAR AN ICE HOCKEY GIRDLE UNDER THEM. Does the bigger type help you out with this or what? I should add, though it shouldn't matter, that they are a plain black with no designs or striping on them.

I'm not going to touch the Ovi thing again, move on. I wouldn't care if Ovie wore rollerhockey pants. I've explained my issue with him enough already. It is there still to read. Somebody else complained about his celebrating, I didn't.

I do not recall commenting on how Ovechkin looks, not even once.

"I dislike how he hams for the camera."...isn't that complaining about his celebrating??

"Too much bling."...isn't that a comment on how Ovechkin looks?

Maybe you should just say that you don't really know how he plays, just hate him because he's Russian (a la Don Cherry) and state that no matter how many facts, stats polls, etc. indicating the contrary, you think he's a one-dimensional player, blah blah etc. That would probably end this argument.

Last edited:

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
What I do want to try are some Tackla hockey pants perported to be the BEST and most comfortable hockey pant by some guys in here I trust the opinions of.

Canadian Tackla(no longer being made under the Tackla name) is great. It has a lot of protection while retaining movement. Robust hip pads, solid tailbone protection and split thighs. Very similar to the Jofa 7000 but with more padding on the hips(9000/5000).

US Tackla is still available and is of lesser quality, it is made in Asia and distributed by Montreal Hockey Co.(Not the Montreal that Warrior acquired).

Canadian Tackla was made and distributed(In Canada) by Vaughn. When Vaughn acquired Eagle they discontinued the Tackla brand name so they can distribute their pants in the US and Can.

The Tackla you saw in the NHL was made by Vaughn... Aaand since it's 50K per category to advertise in the NHL you (should) currently only see Eagle pants from Vaughn.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Canadian Tackla(no longer being made under the Tackla name) is great. It has a lot of protection while retaining movement. Robust hip pads, solid tailbone protection and split thighs. Very similar to the Jofa 7000 but with more padding on the hips(9000/5000).

US Tackla is still available and is of lesser quality, it is made in Asia and distributed by Montreal Hockey Co.(Not the Montreal that Warrior acquired).

Canadian Tackla was made and distributed(In Canada) by Vaughn. When Vaughn acquired Eagle they discontinued the Tackla brand name so they can distribute their pants in the US and Can.

The Tackla you saw in the NHL was made by Vaughn... Aaand since it's 50K per category to advertise in the NHL you (should) currently only see Eagle pants from Vaughn.

Holy crap, I didn't know that stuff ... that is a lot of change in name. So if I am going to try out Tackla pants what would you recommend then?

Wait for Eagle pants? I need new pants in any case, I started wearing the rollerhockey pants because my CCM Supras I bought in the late 80s early 90s are not very comfortable. I also have a pair of Flak pants which are brutally heavy.

The pants are the only thing I have left to replace with all comfort being the main goal.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Holy crap, I didn't know that stuff ... that is a lot of change in name. So if I am going to try out Tackla pants what would you recommend then?

Wait for Eagle pants? I need new pants in any case, I started wearing the rollerhockey pants because my CCM Supras I bought in the late 80s early 90s are not very comfortable. I also have a pair of Flak pants which are brutally heavy.

The pants are the only thing I have left to replace with all comfort being the main goal.

For Tackla, I'd honestly only recommend the Canadian made pants. Eagle pants are already out btw.

BUT, from the sounds of it you will want something that is slim, light and mobile... In retail, check out the one95(and lower model) pants. They don't have a pad on the hip flexor and the thighs are split so they are very mobile. Some people don't like the spine protector on them.

Personally, I'm pretty picky. All my pants are pro stock models but I have had retail pants in the past. I currently have a pair of Tackla 5000x, a pair of Jofa 7000s, a pair of Lecavalier Nikes and a pair of Bauer 5000... The Bauer pants are by FAR, my favorites. Slim hip protection, solid back piece(hip to hip is the same height). Fantastic pants, also really lightweight and mobile. The belly pad needed to be modified though.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
http://www.thegoodpoint.com/hockey/may09/the-death-of-the-cooperall.html
As McKinna points out, a larger issue with Cooperalls was that they were very slippery and made falling more dangerous than usual. They simply provided less friction on the ice than the conventional equipment. Citing player safety, the NHL banned the use of full-length pants after the 1982-83 season. In retrospect, McKinna believes the NHL made the correct decision, but says there were a few players who publicly stated they felt more comfortable wearing Cooperalls.

I have no issue with how hockey equipment is. Only thing that ever bothers me is that my elbow pads always slide down.

Last edited:

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
Long pants are more smooth and will make you slide on the ice when you hit the ground much faster. Not good if you're going into the boards.

Also loose pants = more resistance = more fatigue & less speed.

Also hockey pants provide more protection. Socks are tight fitting over your shin pads = less fabric causing resistance.

I have no issue with how hockey equipment is. Only thing that ever bothers me is that my elbow pads always slide down.
Sums up my feelings on the gear. I actually like the way the whole get-up looks; maybe I don't like change but the pants and socks are cool to me.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
For Tackla, I'd honestly only recommend the Canadian made pants. Eagle pants are already out btw.

BUT, from the sounds of it you will want something that is slim, light and mobile... In retail, check out the one95(and lower model) pants. They don't have a pad on the hip flexor and the thighs are split so they are very mobile. Some people don't like the spine protector on them.

Personally, I'm pretty picky. All my pants are pro stock models but I have had retail pants in the past. I currently have a pair of Tackla 5000x, a pair of Jofa 7000s, a pair of Lecavalier Nikes and a pair of Bauer 5000... The Bauer pants are by FAR, my favorites. Slim hip protection, solid back piece(hip to hip is the same height). Fantastic pants, also really lightweight and mobile. The belly pad needed to be modified though.

Lightweight and mobile are what I am looking for. I am over 40 and do not play like I did 20 years ago with respect to shot blocking or throwing body checks. I only need minimal protection for men's league, maybe encountering a good half slap once in a while perhaps or whatever. Our pickup games allow slapshots so some sort of protection would be good but not full all out armor.

The main thing is it has got to be lightweight and mobile, non-restricive is the goal here.

I really wish the local shops had more stuff to check out in person otherwise I would just order something online. Reading the tackla sizing I would use a 36"-38" waist Tackla size 45 X-Large

I'm looking at Bauers, RBK and Eagle pants online now. I am glad you mentioned the eagle stuff, never heard of it other than seeing some gloves posted in here once in a while.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
first of all...WOW, just WOW.

Now back to the show, I believe shock doctor makes some kind of 1 piece upper body protective thing.

Now to TBLfan, are you telling me that my Tackla 9000 pants, (which I love btw) aren't really Tackla's? WTF

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006

Have you ever looked at what anyone in hockey equipment looks like from an objective state? Other than looking like someone trying out for a part as a Michelin-man standin, how would you describe the look? Ridiculous pretty much fits the bill for anyone skating out in protective gear. Hockey isn't about being a fashion statement, it's about being comfortable and somewhat protected with stuff that is never going to look good no matter how you wear it. You talk about ridiculous looking but yet you make no comments about goalie attire. Why is that?

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
My shoulder pads are unnecessarily large... my socks constantly fall down (don't have a real hockey jock), my socks are full of holes, my socks never match my jersey, all of my jerseys are either too large or too small. Combine this with the fact that I wear glasses under my cage, and you have one goofy-looking lanky brown guy on the ice.

I'm not on the ice to make a fashion statement though... I'm there to play. Who cares about the uniform?

I guess there are more vain prima donnas playing baseball than there are playing hockey :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad