Newbie's observations on playing ice hockey

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Well, I'm now a grizzled veteran of all of 6 weeks of playing ice hockey (open hockey/scrimmages, still no "real" games yet), and after ~20 years or so of basketball, I have taken note of the following:

1-there is far less trash talking in hockey - in basketball, there is constant chatter and commenting - not nearly as much in hockey

2-after scoring in hockey, even if it was a spectacular goal, you are only supposed to go up to the teammate who most recently passed you the puck, and punch gloves. None of the posing, laughing, whooping it up like in basketball.

3-in the same vein as #2, hockey players' overall demeanor is generally far more calm - far less emotion is displayed during the game.

In b-ball, you can let much more hang out. It seems that either hockey just attracts a more emotionally calm, less boastful person, or that to be successful you have to keep your emotions in check during the game.

4-i know hockey is a tradionalist's sport, but as an outsider coming in, the "uniform", i.e., socks, pants, etc., are in desperate need of modernization.

Wearing hot sweater socks while playing is ridiculous, and the pants are just bizarre. Its like a person stepped out of the dark ages to play hockey - I personally think that losing a company like Nike, who was trying to bring a fresh perspective to the game wear, is a big loss.

Its just my humble opinion, but I think that the outfits needs a whole redesign, with just about everything but the skates to be looked at.

5-I took up hockey as I've always wanted to play, but I think in many ways its more stressful than work! As I mentioned in the other thread, I will stay with it even though I've had a few collisions the past few weeks, but I think I might need to pick up something easier as a stress reliever...maybe knitting... :yo:

Last edited:

Trumanperro

Nov 10, 2008
New Jersey
4-i know hockey is a tradionalist's sport, but as an outsider coming in, the "uniform", i.e., socks, pants, etc., are in desperate need of modernization.

Wearing hot sweater socks while playing is ridiculous, and the pants are just bizarre. Its like a person stepped out of the dark ages to play hockey - I personally think that losing a company like Nike, who was trying to bring a fresh perspective to the game wear is a big loss.

Its just my humble opinion, but I think that the outfits needs a whole redesign, with just about everything but the skates to be looked at.

Thank god you never had to use older equipment. Being born in 83 I grew up using pretty modern equipment by today's standards, but the stuff they had before was outrageous. So just to tell you that the equipment they are selling now in the perfect blend of comfort and modernization.

Nike owns Bauer and a bunch of old hockey equipment manufacturers, they simply didn't stop making hockey equipment. What they did however was take their name off the Bauer name to appeal to the traditionalists who thought a staple brand such as Bauer shouldn't be associated with Nike. However, they have bit of influence that they've had in past few years. Be it they have toned down their designs for the same aforementioned reasons.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Thank god you never had to use older equipment. Being born in 83 I grew up using pretty modern equipment by today's standards, but the stuff they had before was outrageous. So just to tell you that the equipment they are selling now in the perfect blend of comfort and modernization.

Nike owns Bauer and a bunch of old hockey equipment manufacturers, they simply didn't stop making hockey equipment. What they did however was take their name off the Bauer name to appeal to the traditionalists who thought a staple brand such as Bauer shouldn't be associated with Nike. However, they have bit of influence that they've had in past few years. Be it they have toned down their designs for the same aforementioned reasons.

That's incorrect. Nike sold off Bauer almost two years ago. They have no affiliation with Bauer what so ever.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
The problem with hockey equipment is that you need protection or else you can get seriously hurt. It is made the way it is because of that, players need protective armor that is flexible and does not prevent mobility.

As for the socks ... yeah the knitted socks or pretty archaic at this point and hot. I wore my old setup which involves CCM Supra hockey pants and knitted socks and could not believe how hot they were after wearing roller hockey pants with a girdle under them and shinguards. The backs of the legs are vented and very cool on the legs. I tape them up like they are hockey socks and are basically the same thing but lighter and much cooler.

Some people think it is silly to wear roller hockey pants for ice hockey but it really is more comfortable.

I think a one piece pant and leg system is more than workable for hockey using today's technology. I do agree with that part of your comment.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
HA born in '72, wanna talk about old equipment? this stuff is lighter and more breathable than anything we used to play in. The stuff was made to protect you, not for fashion. wait till you take a nice slapshot of the thigh where there isn't padding you will then realize why the pants are bulky. If you keep at it you will get used to it, so dont sweat the small stuff.

jablueblue

Jul 22, 2009
A scrimage isn't going to have tons of chriping and cele's.. If you went to the a gym to shoot hoops with people, would you talk trash?

TinofGrizz

Feb 5, 2010
5-I took up hockey as I've always wanted to play, but I think in many ways its more stressful than work! As I mentioned in the other thread, I will stay with it even though I've had a few collisions the past few weeks, but I think I might need to pick up something easier as a stress reliever...maybe knitting... :yo:

I chose to take up golf about 6 years ago as my stress reliever...needless to say it was a bad decision, golf is FAR more infuriating than hockey ever is to me....That whole knitting thing might not be a bad idea....

jablueblue

Jul 22, 2009
I chose to take up golf about 6 years ago as my stress reliever...needless to say it was a bad decision, golf is FAR more infuriating than hockey ever is to me....That whole knitting thing might not be a bad idea....

Golf gets me going like nothing else, it's baad

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010
A scrimage isn't going to have tons of chriping and cele's.. If you went to the a gym to shoot hoops with people, would you talk trash?

^ Hes got it. When you're playing pick-up and you score a goal, its generally "who cares, its pickup". Now watch an OHL, college game, and of course NHL game and there is a bunch of screaming and cheering and high fiving all around. Of course it depends on the goal scored, but most of the time a goal really means something when you're not playing pick up.

Trumanperro

Nov 10, 2008
New Jersey
That's incorrect. Nike sold off Bauer almost two years ago. They have no affiliation with Bauer what so ever.

The company was sold to investors Roustan, Inc. and Kohlberg & Co., on February 21, 2008. The company is once again known as Bauer Hockey, though the Nike Bauer trademark was used until mid-2009.[3]
On September 25, 2008, Bauer announced the purchase of rival Mission-Itech.[4] Mission and Itech gear was rebranded as Bauer beginning in 2009.

I stand corrected, should of done a little more research, thanks man

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I stand corrected, should of done a little more research, thanks man

No problem man. One of the reason they purchased Mission was to make up for the loss of Nike Dri-Fit liners and undergarments.

However, Bauer still produces the Vapor line and according to the Bauer website, Vapor is a registered of Nike.

Could just be the Vapor name, not the line itself.

HowToHockey

I had a good laugh reading the OP

Imagine pro hockey players celebrating like NFL players.

I think part of the reason that NHL players are fairly humble is that there is always a guy on the other team who's only job is to punch people's faces in. They don't have those players in other sports.

Seanconn*

hockey is also a Canadian game... we are known to be pretty modest :D

but I don't know where u get this "no one talks trash in hockey" .... when your a young teenager playing hockey, there is tons of trash talking going on.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004

Wearing hot sweater socks while playing is ridiculous, and the pants are just bizarre. Its like a person stepped out of the dark ages to play hockey - I personally think that losing a company like Nike, who was trying to bring a fresh perspective to the game wear, is a big loss.

Reebok makes a non knit sock and you can also find mesh socks.

Thing is, it's not like no one is trying to come up with something new. They just haven't found anything that performs like a good old knit sock. My biggest beef with mesh socks was if you went down to your knees you slid for miles. The durability wasn't all that great either.

Pants and equipment in general have come a long way since when I started wearing gear to play....wearing 70's gear during the 80's. That said, pants are still pants. They are way more protective, but just as light and just as mobile. I don't really think you can fully appreciate just how far things have come until you play or even see some of that old stuff.

Google Cooperalls. That was the last great venture into new age pants and socks.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
I've played teams that have mesh socks and/or mesh jerseys, and they flat out look ugly. I'd rather be a little warmer, look better, and have a little extra "padding" behind the leg than wear mesh/non-traditional socks.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
However, Bauer still produces the Vapor line and according to the Bauer website, Vapor is a registered of Nike.

Throughout the Nike acquisition of Bauer the same team of people worked in the R&D department. The Vapor line came out before the Nike/Bauer logo came into play, under the Bauer name. In fact, the only line added from the Nike line of product was the Flexlite line. The Quest and Swift lines were killed off in all but apparel(Swift jerseys/socks), among a few other lines/products Nike had. Vapor was 100% a Bauer product and always was a Bauer product.

Obviously Bauer kept the id program and I believe they are keeping the dri fit material... It wasn't a messy divorce.

nickerjones

Jun 29, 2008
Calgary Alberta
On the topic of trash talking... Its my favorite thing to do... I got it from my college football and baseball days. I am always chirping. I am a beginner hockey player as well as of Feb 1st. I chirp at stick and puck and open sessions. Its an art form , I dont do it to piss people off. Of course I usually have the other team laughing at their own players...

Hell I even talk crap to my own team... Its all in good fun!!! One thing I have seen in hockey is the guys who are good , at least around my town , are far more willing to help out the beginners than any other sport.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I had a good laugh reading the OP

Imagine pro hockey players celebrating like NFL players.

I think part of the reason that NHL players are fairly humble is that there is always a guy on the other team who's only job is to punch people's faces in. They don't have those players in other sports.

Like Ovechkin does? Something about Ovechkin just bothers me. I hope I never see him wearing oversized sunglasses and a floppy straw hat ever again, downright frickin embarassing to hockey.

RJC

Oct 15, 2007
Vancouver, BC
change the uniform? hhhahahahahaha.
ok.. in all seriousness they did with the more form fitting edge jersey

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
change the uniform? hhhahahahahaha.
ok.. in all seriousness they did with the more form fitting edge jersey

They wanted to go with a one piece full uni foot to neck but the league owners and managers shot it down and settled for what we have now. The players all would have had a tucked in jersey look or something stupid. I remember the official photos sketches floating around a couple of years ago.

Brutal.

In fact I would not even buy any of these Reebok jerseys which look like dress shirts not tucked in. I would buy the replica jersey which still looks straight across on the bottoms.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad