Newbie's observations on playing ice hockey

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Like Ovechkin does? Something about Ovechkin just bothers me. I hope I never see him wearing oversized sunglasses and a floppy straw hat ever again, downright frickin embarassing to hockey.

Honestly, he's the best thing to happen to hockey since Gretz and Mario were in their primes. Finally a player who exhibits a genuine love and passion for the game.

Hockey can be pretty stuffy....ie don't say this, don't do that, you have to handle yourself this way.

ReverendAlBundy

Loungetown mortician
Feb 25, 2010
Fort Worth
Honestly, he's the best thing to happen to hockey since Gretz and Mario were in their primes. Finally a player who exhibits a genuine love and passion for the game.

Hockey can be pretty stuffy....ie don't say this, don't do that, you have to handle yourself this way.
It's not "don't say this, don't do that" It's "If you do that you'll look like a total d-bag/idiot/ass"

SabresFreak97

Mar 20, 2006
Cheektovegas, NY
It's not "don't say this, don't do that" It's "If you do that you'll look like a total d-bag/idiot/ass"

I have a problem with him doing that in a regular/playoff game, but no problem in an All-Star game.

If he wants to jump into his teammates arms during the season I also have no problem with that. Its when he warms his hands on his stick.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
I was at a pick-up game last night and there were lots of chirping. Spent half the time on the bench chuckling at some of the remarks. Some of which can't be repeated.

Uniform wise things are good. The alternative (roller hockey pants or cooperalls)... uh no.

The new sleaker jerseys are kinda cool, but I think I still prefer the baggier CCMs.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
There's no "I" in team.

But there is an M & E... ;)

Seriously though, Ovechkin gets just as excited when a teammate scores. His enthusiasm is infectious.

Hockey is after all a game, people should have fun playing it. I don't see why people knock someone who's having fun playing a game. This a good example of how stuffy hockey can be. I'm all for tradition and all that jazz, but at some point hockey has to evolve into the modern era. The mentality surrounding the game is stuck in the 50's.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
They look that way for breathing, comfortability and maximum protection. Basketball's protection is usually mouthguards/ that face thingy.

Also they tried something called cooperalls to change the fashion, didn't work.

Also in beer leagues, casual leagues there is very little chirping due to it being stupid and immature when your 20-50 years and have nothing to really prove. If you played in competitive leagues (Rep, or above) sometimes house league at a young age there is more.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Like Ovechkin does? Something about Ovechkin just bothers me. I hope I never see him wearing oversized sunglasses and a floppy straw hat ever again, downright frickin embarassing to hockey.

Like the ONE time he did? Which Im pretty sure was a little bit to spite Cherry in my opinion. The straw hat was at all-star shoot-out which is all for fun anyways....if you are going to consider these embarrassing to hockey then you need to lighten up a tad.

Also not to mention when he did celebrate it was for a pretty significant reason...not that Id do something like that just saying not ANYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG compared to NFL/NBA celebrations, so lets think some what level headed here.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Like the ONE time he did? Which Im pretty sure was a little bit to spite Cherry in my opinion. The straw hat was at all-star shoot-out which is all for fun anyways....if you are going to consider these embarrassing to hockey then you need to lighten up a tad.

Also not to mention when he did celebrate it was for a pretty significant reason...not that Id do something like that just saying not ANYTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG compared to NFL/NBA celebrations, so lets think some what level headed here.

I hate anyone in any sport whose ego is trying to be bigger than the sport he plays.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
I hate anyone in any sport whose ego is trying to be bigger than the sport he plays.

Well since this is one of those endless debates on if you like the player or not or what you think of his ego, Ill say agree to disagree. My points were just pointing out how his one celebration and all-star thing are NOTHING compared to that of other sports.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Well since this is one of those endless debates on if you like the player or not or what you think of his ego, Ill say agree to disagree. My points were just pointing out how his one celebration and all-star thing are NOTHING compared to that of other sports.

Don't get me wrong, he is a great player but guys like that can kill a team when he is the go to guy all the time especially in the playoffs where it is nowhere like the regular season time and space. They found that out last year.

I don't like the cheap hits he has given out, I do not care that he just plays all out all the time ... there is a limit.

He would be a much better player if he paid attention to his own end as well.

I dislike how he hams for the camera I guess is my point. Too much bling.

Shut up and just play because you are good ... just play, strip off the chrome and just play. Be a hockey player and not a controversy in the vein of an Avery. Not the same controversies but similar attention ***** type.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
The problem with hockey equipment is that you need protection or else you can get seriously hurt. It is made the way it is because of that, players need protective armor that is flexible and does not prevent mobility.

As for the socks ... yeah the knitted socks or pretty archaic at this point and hot. I wore my old setup which involves CCM Supra hockey pants and knitted socks and could not believe how hot they were after wearing roller hockey pants with a girdle under them and shinguards. The backs of the legs are vented and very cool on the legs. I tape them up like they are hockey socks and are basically the same thing but lighter and much cooler.

Some people think it is silly to wear roller hockey pants for ice hockey but it really is more comfortable.

I think a one piece pant and leg system is more than workable for hockey using today's technology. I do agree with that part of your comment.

Id remind some here of early 1980s cooperalls - i had a set and they were ok but i do like my newer ccm gear today better btw ive played since 1972 seena lot of changes and equipment is to protect with best comfort possible i could care less about lookin slick over safety.

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
Don't get me wrong, he is a great player but guys like that can kill a team when he is the go to guy all the time especially in the playoffs where it is nowhere like the regular season time and space. They found that out last year.

I don't like the cheap hits he has given out, I do not care that he just plays all out all the time ... there is a limit.

Shut up and just play because you are good ... just play, strip off the chrome and just play. Be a hockey player and not a controversy in the vein of an Avery. Not the same controversies but similar attention ***** type.

Not sure if you watched the playoffs last year, but Ovechkin had 14 points in a 7 game series against Pittsburgh, most by a player in a single series since 95. Not sure how that performance "killed" his team.

Also, not sure if you are aware who is number one in the NHL in plus/minus, but it is Ovechkin, plus 43. I would probably say that means that he is paying attention in his own end and doing maybe a few things right out there.

If you don't like the guy, that's fine, but to make some of those statements are just ridiculous. The guy is the best player in the NHL.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009

Heh...I was making my point basically towards the topic of the thread. Turning this into a "your opinion of ovechkin" thread is what I am basically saying is not the topic. If you want to post your opinion on him like that there are hundreds of threads in the NHL section. This is way off-topic.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Not sure if you watched the playoffs last year, but Ovechkin had 14 points in a 7 game series against Pittsburgh, most by a player in a single series since 95. Not sure how that performance "killed" his team.

Also, not sure if you are aware who is number one in the NHL in plus/minus, but it is Ovechkin, plus 43. I would probably say that means that he is paying attention in his own end and doing maybe a few things right out there.

If you don't like the guy, that's fine, but to make some of those statements are just ridiculous. The guy is the best player in the NHL.

Thanks for all of the comments, I've read them with much interest. As a poster above said, there are elements of hockey that do seem rather stuck in the 50s, it does have that feel to it sometimes, but is a great game. Like many other of my regrets - and I have many - should have started 20 years ago... :cry:

But the comment above claiming that Ovechkin is the NHL's best player, that's just silly, any Islander fan will tell you that Trevor Gillies will own this league, just give him 2 or 3 hundred years...

If there is any competition, its between him and Brutal Gervais.

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Reebok makes a non knit sock and you can also find mesh socks.

Thing is, it's not like no one is trying to come up with something new. They just haven't found anything that performs like a good old knit sock. My biggest beef with mesh socks was if you went down to your knees you slid for miles. The durability wasn't all that great either.

Pants and equipment in general have come a long way since when I started wearing gear to play....wearing 70's gear during the 80's. That said, pants are still pants. They are way more protective, but just as light and just as mobile. I don't really think you can fully appreciate just how far things have come until you play or even see some of that old stuff.

Google Cooperalls. That was the last great venture into new age pants and socks.

Inline hockey uniforms seem more radical or innovative, but I prefer the old-school look we have with knit socks, etc. I wouldn't want to change it at all.

Apart from that, NHL uniforms get upgraded, sometimes in terms of team logos, sometimes with a new colorway.

Maybe the 'socks and short pants' permits better knee bend than full length trousers, who knows.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com

No he isn't, he is the best goal scorer. Not the same thing.

... and yeah I watched the playoffs last year. 14 points in 7 games .... how many did other team mates get Because HE had the puck all the time? Enough to beat Pittsburgh? .... who by the way does have the best player in the NHL.

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
No he isn't, he is the best goal scorer. Not the same thing.

... and yeah I watched the playoffs last year. 14 points in 7 games .... how many did other team mates get Because HE had the puck all the time? Enough to beat Pittsburgh? .... who by the way does have the best player in the NHL.

Wow, haha, Ovechkin had the puck ALL THE TIME? What games were you watching? Your hatred for him really causes you to exaggerate. 14 points in 7 games means that when he had the puck, he knew what to do with it. By the way, the 14 points was 8 goals, 6 assists. Wonder how he got those 6 assists with since he NEVER gave up the puck.

Maybe Washington lost to Pittsburgh because Varlamov gave up 4 goals in the first period and Pittsburgh outshot Washington 18-5 in the first period of game 7. But I forgot, Ovechkin was on the ice solo for all of those goals and shots and let the four in since he was goaltending too.

I'm not going to debate with you about the reasons why Ovechkin is better than Crosby, there are plenty of threads to educate you about that, but just remember this year that Ovechkin has more assists in less games, and is also +41 compared to +11.

Or we could see what a poll of active NHL players have to say on the matter. This is from last week...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/alex-ovechkin-tops-sidney-crosby-in-players-poll.php

I would think they probably have a little more knowledge than you or I.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Wow, haha, Ovechkin had the puck ALL THE TIME? What games were you watching? Your hatred for him really causes you to exaggerate. 14 points in 7 games means that when he had the puck, he knew what to do with it. By the way, the 14 points was 8 goals, 6 assists. Wonder how he got those 6 assists with since he NEVER gave up the puck.

Maybe Washington lost to Pittsburgh because Varlamov gave up 4 goals in the first period and Pittsburgh outshot Washington 18-5 in the first period of game 7. But I forgot, Ovechkin was on the ice solo for all of those goals and shots and let the four in since he was goaltending too.

I'm not going to debate with you about the reasons why Ovechkin is better than Crosby, there are plenty of threads to educate you about that, but just remember this year that Ovechkin has more assists in less games, and is also +41 compared to +11.

Or we could see what a poll of active NHL players have to say on the matter. This is from last week...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/alex-ovechkin-tops-sidney-crosby-in-players-poll.php

I would think they probably have a little more knowledge than you or I.

Wow they polled 50 NHL players, very scientific.

I'm sure the Blackhawks would have a different answer after his cheap hit on Campbell or the teamates of his other cheap hits.

Look he is one of the best goal scorers I have ever seen but certainly not the best overall player currently in the NHL.

It is a matter of opinion .... I would have a team of Crosbys before a team of Ovechkins because then I would have a TEAM.

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009

I'm sure the Blackhawks would have a different answer after his cheap hit on Campbell or the teamates of his other cheap hits.

Look he is one of the best goal scorers I have ever seen but certainly not the best overall player currently in the NHL.

It is a matter of opinion .... I would have a team of Crosbys before a team of Ovechkins because then I would have a TEAM.

You clearly lack a basic understanding of how polls work. You can look it up on wikipedia to help you understand but 64 percent to 24 percent is a pretty big disparity. Also, 50 NHL'ers represents 8% of all active players.

Second, maybe your crush on Crosby has helped you to forget this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wqR17KrLKw

I guess no one on Atlanta would say that he is the best player based on your brilliant logic.

The only thing that you have been correct about is that it is a matter of opinion, and in my opinion I would take the guy that has more...
goals per game
assists per game
hits per game
shots per game
better plus minus

Canad93

Jan 21, 2008
In b-ball, you can let much more hang out. It seems that either hockey just attracts a more emotionally calm, less boastful person, or that to be successful you have to keep your emotions in check during the game.

4-i know hockey is a tradionalist's sport, but as an outsider coming in, the "uniform", i.e., socks, pants, etc., are in desperate need of modernization.

Wearing hot sweater socks while playing is ridiculous, and the pants are just bizarre. Its like a person stepped out of the dark ages to play hockey - I personally think that losing a company like Nike, who was trying to bring a fresh perspective to the game wear, is a big loss.

Well, having played my whole life, I can tell you that the heat is something you get used to. When I was little, I used to get really hot and uncomfortable on the ice, but now I actually get cold.
The pants are an absolutely necessity. They will save your life one day when you get hit by a puck that would normally destroy your ability to skate temporarily, but instead can just get away with a sting or maybe a bruise.

And actually, to go along with this point and your next, the league has changed the equipment. The socks and jerseys are now thinner, supposed to be better looking, and better fitting. Ive worn the new types of socks they have and I like them, they do look good sometimes.
I'm not familiar with Nike's fresh perspective...What were they trying to do?

Its just my humble opinion, but I think that the outfits needs a whole redesign, with just about everything but the skates to be looked at.

5-I took up hockey as I've always wanted to play, but I think in many ways its more stressful than work! As I mentioned in the other thread, I will stay with it even though I've had a few collisions the past few weeks, but I think I might need to pick up something easier as a stress reliever...maybe knitting... :yo:

Your opinion is very interesting..It provides some perspective that I've never heard before.

Canad93

Jan 21, 2008
Google Cooperalls. That was the last great venture into new age pants and socks.

WOW. I don't remember that...It could look good; it would just make everyone look like their in a big pond hockey game.

hoonking

Jan 25, 2010

To say that a players skill level changes because of a hit on someone is not correct. Sure, the Hawks didn't like that hit (and neither did I, making our blue line look like trash now with all the injuries) but Ovechkin is still an outstanding player.

Plus/minus is there to help distinguish the offensive and defensive parts of a players game and Ovechkin is leagues ahead of Crosby in that aspect.

And 50 NHL players who have played with/against the 2 is a very good representation if I do say so myself; being scientific (just looking at the numbers) is not a good way to do it because there are sometimes other things aside from goals and assists.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Trouble is that he's right. In terms of polling, if a sample is random for a fairly homogeneous population, a sample of about 20 has been shown to give a pretty good representation of proportion in opinion. Anything above that is just compensating for diversity in the population and reducing margin of error. If you're complaining about the sample size, you really don't understand how polling works. Much smaller percentages have successfully predicted national elections.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad