GDT: NEW YORK RANGERS WIN NHL DRAFT LOTTERY

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Do I watch tonights lottery in the same place where I was last year when we landed the #2 pick? Or do I have to change it up. We technically didn't win the lottery last year, but it sure felt like it

it’s all on you then :)

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Does getting the 1OA change the Rangers approach this offseason?

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
I don't think so. I think we need stay on the track we are on and keep trying to add depth. It would be a huge step in the right direction though

Reactions: bl02

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I don't think so. I think we need stay on the track we are on and keep trying to add depth. It would be a huge step in the right direction though

hoping the Rangers draft a Center. RW would be my second choice. If the Rangers go defense i don’t know what they are doing. That would tell be ADA is gone and, honestly, maybe Trouba. Can’t tie up multiple Vets long term, already have some talented kids on the team who will need raises before the vets are gone and multiple in the pipeline. Something has to give. Like i posted, hoping for Center.

Reactions: Rangers394

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
hoping the Rangers draft a Center. RW would be my second choice. If the Rangers go defense i don’t know what they are doing. That would tell be ADA is gone and, honestly, maybe Trouba. Can’t tie up multiple Vets long term, already have some talented kids on the team who will need raises before the vets are gone and multiple in the pipeline. Something has to give. Like i posted, hoping for Center.

You take the best player.

You don't know what your needs will be a year or longer down the road from now. If you draft in a position you have great depth and multiple guys pan out, great, you have trade capital.

Unless your best player on the board is a goalie, then take the 2nd best player available.

Reactions: Kupo and jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Personally, I'm not totally sure it changes much for the short-term.

I think Lafreniere makes the team, and give the Rangers another LW, but I don't know if I see it impacting anything they do elsewhere.

I feel like if they're moving Buch for a different type of forward(s), they do so with or without Lafreniere. Same thing when it comes to any pursuit of a center, or a LD. I think those actions happen regardless of Lafreniere.

Reactions: mschmidt64

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

I don't think it would change my approach, other than having to make roster room for Lafreniere at the very least by season's end most likely, if not from Day 1 like Kakko.

But I'd be selling on Strome and Buch either way, I'd be seeing if I can get an elite forward for ADA either way (since RD is gonna be crowded either way and forward is not yet fully stocked either way), I'd be trying to move Georgiev either way since Shesterkin is the #1 moving forward, I'd be trying to move Staal and Smith off the roster either way since they are dead weight and we have D prospects incoming.

Etc.

I don't think the Rangers are hunting for a top-6 left wing this offseason, so getting Lafreniere is just butter. More importantly they just need top young forwards for the future and getting those players through our draft picks should already be the plan.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Absolutely. To me, it pushes them to shop Buch more for a comparable player in another spot. Too many wingers

Yeah but I'm already interested in that since Kakko and Kravtsov are presumably your top 2 RWs in the not distant future.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Last year re: the lottery, I was in the car on the way back from Pennsylvania to North Carolina when I got the alert on my phone. I was driving. My wife saw the alert and said "Oh, it says Devils won the draft lottery."

I swore loudly.

Then she opened up the article and told me Rangers got second.

Woo hoo!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Bettman gonna come out dressed like the penguin.

Bettman Returns

Film-Batman-Returns.jpg

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Eh, ideally BPA is a center or LD but we’ll have to see how it falls. I still want BPA (except for goalie).

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The best outcome for the Rangers is Lafrieniere. The next best outcome would be getting an elite center from this draft class. The next best outcome would be getting any elite forward.

Then comes LD.

RD and goalie need not apply in the first round. There's no room.

I understand BPA, and mostly agree, but it kinda has to be BPA who has a chance to crack the roster.

Trouba is going nowhere, Fox is going nowhere, and we are already gonna have to trade ADA or Lundkvist most likely, and any time you are forced to trade there is a chance you don't get equal value back. Taking a RD cause he's "BPA," doesn't take into account he may end up a trade chip where despite his talent the player you get back isn't better than the one you could have drafted to begin with.

For example: There's just no realistic scenario where it makes sense for the Rangers to draft Askarov because he's blocked by Shesterkin. At least not until the point in the draft where they are confident they can get back in trade more than they expend to select him. And with the goalie market that's probably not till the second round.

Well, there's no reason for the Rangers to draft a RD either.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The best outcome for the Rangers is Lafrieniere. The next best outcome would be getting an elite center from this draft class. The next best outcome would be getting any elite forward.

Then comes LD.

RD and goalie need not apply in the first round. There's no room.

I understand BPA, and mostly agree, but it kinda has to be BPA who has a chance to crack the roster.

BPA is mostly a range of players, and in that range, you pick who you think is the best fit to your organization.

Reactions: Yuck and mschmidt64

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
If they get Lafreniere then they have 3 lines of NHL forwards, assuming their belief in Kravtsov is correct. If they can keep Fast too then the 4th line is pretty much there too. It's a matter of getting Smith and Staal out of the way.

LW - Panarin, Lafreniere, Kreider, Lemieux
C - Zibanejad, Chytil, Strome, Howden
RW - Kakko, Kravtsov, Buchnevich, Fast

That's not a bad set of 12 forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad