Series Talk: New York Rangers vs New Jersey Devils (Rangers 1-0)

Who wins?

• Rangers in 4

• Rangers in 5

• Rangers in 6

• Rangers in 7

• Devils in 4

• Devils in 5

• Devils in 6

• Devils in 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Confirmed

D0166B3A-DB12-41FD-942C-15323F619E84.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I stated in my comments that the best defense is a good offense. I don't think they should sit back and play defense because that will be the wrong way to play the Devils. However, when they are stuck in their zone, get the puck out. Especially in the playoffs, mistakes are made by not doing this simple play. Of course the goal is to get out with the possession of the puck but the first thing is to clear the zone. It gives the defense time to regroup.
I dunno honestly I think that is the first thing almost every team thinks of when they're feeling in danger...bang the puck out. But other teams anticipate that, try to seal off exits, make it a turnover, or even if it gets out they drive it right back in.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I like it. Too much cushiness isn't a good thing.
I like that too.

Besides, getting from Westchester/Manhattan to Newark is an early road trip in itself.

Dont need to be sitting in a car all morning, or even for an hour and add stress. Need loose legs.

Wake up as a team and go to work. Methinks Drury was in on this decision too.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I've disagreed with some of the moves Drury and his team have made... I've been critical of acquiring Bread at the time we did, extending Kreider, throwing Goodrow the $, term & the NTC & obv have been especially harsh on the #1 overall pick & his development.

But all of that is moot & in the rearview at this point.

I hope they have another gear and then some.

That's what it's going to take. Another gear... and THEN SOME.

As the great Carl Spackler once said: "I guess the kidding around is pretty much over"

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I think we are in for a hell of a series. It will be hard to pull off what we did last year vs Pitt and the Canes, but it should be no less exciting. I can't see it going less than 6 or 7 games.

You know Kakko will do all he can, to make people forget about Hughes. Laffy doing all he can to remind people he was a number 1 pick also. Kaner and Tarasenko showing they still are clutch performers. Chytil to make his signing look like a steal. Miller showing there's another star on this blueline, and Shesty out to prove no one can touch him in net.

Yeah, this is gonna be fun!

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The metrics show the thing the devils struggle with the most is getting out of their own end. In the playoffs thats going to be significantly more difficult with heavier hits, and solid pressure. Having defensemen who don't take hits well is going to be an issue for them. The devils also don't use size and physicality to trap other teams in their zone. They use speed. That doesn't help as much in the playoffs.
This jibes with my eye test too. Seems to me they do a great job of flooding the neutral zone and generating offense that way. That’s why look so fast. They are, on offense…but going the other way they’re equally slow.
I just don’t see that attack advantage being as pronounced in the playoff. That’s why I think the rangers win in five.

Reactions: duhmetreE

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Agree.

Harpur is awful at hockey but because he's tall they love him. Jones is very good at hockey but he's short so they don't like him. It's ridiculous. Jones could have contributed a lot to this team's defense and transition if Gallant and management gave him enough time to adjust to the NHL. Instead if the kid made a mistake he'd be scratched. Meanwhile Harpur is brutal but because he's of no consequence they're OK with it. I can't stand the ass backwards logic this organization has had...forever.
I agree with you that Jones is an NHL player and Harpur is not. I believe was that Jones is paid more than Harpur and the team needed the space for Kane.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Joe, what do the Rangers need to do this period? And Chris Kreider puts it home! Oh, man, how about that?! The Rangers score 26 seconds into the period and go up 2-1! NO! My apologies! It's tied 1-1!

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Joe, what do the Rangers need to do this period? And Chris Kreider puts it home! Oh, man, how about that?! The Rangers score 26 seconds into the period and go up 2-1! NO! My apologies! It's tied 1-1!

Imagine calling a game with two Sebastian Aho’s on the team? Poor Sam, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: will1066

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Lets be clear, while i think jones is better than harpur, this isnt just a "The rangers are a caveman org"
This is a fairly common trend across the NHL in favoring size over smaller defensemen for 3rd pair guys. Very few teams are ok with smaller puck handlers who will struggle with larger forwards.
Jones isn't fox, and does actually struggle on defense at times. Jones is a good puck moving defensemen, but if the rangers are pinned in his zone he's going to struggle.

The NHL is a caveman league.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad