Series Talk: New York Rangers vs New Jersey Devils (Rangers 1-0)

Who wins?

• Rangers in 4

• Rangers in 5

• Rangers in 6

• Rangers in 7

• Devils in 4

• Devils in 5

• Devils in 6

• Devils in 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Confirmed

D0166B3A-DB12-41FD-942C-15323F619E84.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Puck management is the key to this series. They need to move the puck with a purpose and control it. Cannot turn the puck over in the neutral zone or near the blue line.

The Rangers have one of the deepest forward groups in the league. We literally have 9 top 6 F and 2 more top 9 F. Our 4th line is one of the best in the league.

The Devils thrive off the transition game but their D are small and speedy, gotta get the puck in on them and establish a physical presence offensively. That extra half second of delay they make could be the difference in the series.

I’m fairly confident going into this series. I think the Devils are in for a rude awakening but who knows maybe they’ll be ready to go. Either way it should be another roller coaster
The Devils D isn't small. Bahl, Graves and Hamilton are all 6'5" or 6'6" and at least 220 lbs. Siegenthaler, Smith, Severson and Hughes are all 6'2" and all over 200 lbs except for Hughes at 184 (probably lighter). Marino is 6'1" 181. Fox and Lindgren are 6'0" or smaller. The rest of the Rangers D are 6'3" or bigger. I would say the Rangers have a smaller D with Mikkola and Miller around 6'5" but only in the 210 lb. range.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I don't think Troubz will have a huge hit until later in the series, which is not a bad thing. If the Devils are playing conservatively through the NZ to avoid a hit that's a win.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The Devils D isn't small. Bahl, Graves and Hamilton are all 6'5" or 6'6" and at least 220 lbs. Siegenthaler, Smith, Severson and Hughes are all 6'2" and all over 200 lbs except for Hughes at 184 (probably lighter). Marino is 6'1" 181. Fox and Lindgren are 6'0" or smaller. The rest of the Rangers D are 6'3" or bigger. I would say the Rangers have a smaller D with Mikkola and Miller around 6'5" but only in the 210 lb. range.
Hamilton is 6'5 who plays like he's 5'10 to avoid hits. The devils D isnt small but aside from graves there is no one there who can truly take a hit, or lay a hit.
The devils biggest weakness has been clearing the defensive zone under pressure, because their D is just not good at handling pressure. Thats what people mean by "small".

Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I really hope we win because this place is going to be insufferable otherwise.

We're already setting ourselves up with the idea that we're just gonna bully this "small team of children who are afraid of the playoffs."

When that doesn't happen, "we're too soft" we be the reason we lost all summer and not because our D corps sucks, or we basically don't have any permanent top 9 RW's except Kakko, or we're slower than f***ing eternity, or anything else relevant.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

We're already setting ourselves up with the idea that we're just gonna bully this "small team of children who are afraid of the playoffs."

When that doesn't happen, "we're too soft" we be the reason we lost all summer and not because our D corps sucks, or we basically don't have any permanent top 9 RW's except Kakko, or we're slower than f***ing eternity, or anything else relevant.
If we lose this series it will be 99.9% because of coaching, or the lack there of.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't know if this is copium but I think Panarin redeems himself from last Playoffs
NJD is a better opponent for Panarin than the more physical shutdown teams, do you may be on to something.

Our third pairing on the other hand- this isn't a great matchup

Reactions: haveandare

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If we lose this series it will be 99.9% because of coaching, or the lack there of.

Nah, if we lose this series it's because we panic with the puck and/or make dopey east-west passes when the ice is even smaller.

We have to hope that our talent decides that it needs to rely on hard work to win in the post season. After last year, that's on them. They know what needs to be done.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
NJ play fast in the regular season but the playoffs is a different story.
Similar to how Carolina is a great regular season team but not so dominant in the playoffs, I think the Devils will look a little more human come Tuesday.
They're bound to be a lot less "foot loose and fancy free", because of what's on the line. Too much at stake to be heading up ice at every opportunity.
They'll be holding their sticks a little tighter and hopefully looking down at the puck. (good luck with that, if you do)
I know it's a cliche but, I think its imperative we score the 1st goal in the series. If we DON"T it's not the end of the world but for sure, we don't need to be down right away, when an unfortunate penalty, is just a stones throw away, then could be down 2 and spiraling. I know that sounds defeatest, but you know what I mean.
We'll be fine, have every confidence in that. Just don't wanna be up against it, right from the start.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
They're bound to be a lot less "foot loose and fancy free", because of what's on the line. Too much at stake to be heading up ice at every opportunity.
They'll be holding their sticks a little tighter and hopefully looking down at the puck. (good luck with that, if you do)
I know it's a cliche but, I think its imperative we score the 1st goal in the series. If we DON"T it's not the end of the world but for sure, we don't need to be down right away, when an unfortunate penalty, is just a stones throw away, then could be down 2 and spiraling. I know that sounds defeatest, but you know what I mean.
We'll be fine, have every confidence in that. Just don't wanna be up against it, right from the start.
The metrics show the thing the devils struggle with the most is getting out of their own end. In the playoffs thats going to be significantly more difficult with heavier hits, and solid pressure. Having defensemen who don't take hits well is going to be an issue for them. The devils also don't use size and physicality to trap other teams in their zone. They use speed. That doesn't help as much in the playoffs.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I agree with the sentiment about Panarin, I think he's going to have a much better playoff run this year. And his line is going to be the key line I think. Zibanejad's line has a habit of getting outplayed when they are up against other top lines, we are going to need the Panarin line to tilt the ice in their favor.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Hamilton is 6'5 who plays like he's 5'10 to avoid hits. The devils D isnt small but aside from graves there is no one there who can truly take a hit, or lay a hit.
The devils biggest weakness has been clearing the defensive zone under pressure, because their D is just not good at handling pressure. Thats what people mean by "small".
interesting definition of "small."

Was there ever any other way?

"Toughness" is always the solution to the Rangers' ills.

Reactions: Machinehead

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Yeah this narrative is so strange. Now if you want to say the Rangers have the more imposing and physical D, sure I buy that. But it's just a fact that the Devils D are bigger lol

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah this narrative is so strange. Now if you want to say the Rangers have the more imposing and physical D, sure I buy that. But it's just a fact that the Devils D are bigger lol
The 2010-11 Bruins were one of the smallest teams in the league.

People just decide who they want to be big/small and everyone just rolls with it.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad