Proposal: New York Rangers Management

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
This may be insensitive but I don't think the Rangers get out of the second round without the MSL family tragedy.

And though they didn't win the Cup, that Spring was easily the most fun I've had as a fan and would make that trade 10/10 in retrospect.

Maybe it depends how old you are, but I certainly agree. I was only 4 in 1994, so this was my only real memory of a cup run and I would do whatever I could to re-live that experience over and over.

I can understand if going to the SCF doesn't satisfy you though because you experienced 1994. In that case, it might make sense for someone to prefer to hold onto the 2 first rounders we traded for him.

But for me, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
This may be insensitive but I don't think the Rangers get out of the second round without the MSL family tragedy.

And though they didn't win the Cup, that Spring was easily the most fun I've had as a fan and would make that trade 10/10 in retrospect.
Do people just forget that Kreider came back in game 5? And had a big game?

I sincerely doubt that MSL’s mom’s death is the reason that team came back.

Reactions: jas

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Extend Chris Kreider and I'll be good.

I'd give him $6.0-$6.5 ($7.0-$7.5 if he exceeds 35 goals this season and tops that figure next season) per season until he's 32. If things go well, and if he continues to produce and grow, I wouldn't mind then extending him for two years at $4.5-$5.0 (at the absolute most). But now I'm just getting ahead of myself ...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You will not be able to sign virtually any top UFS or resign your own players without one. Again, in and of themselves, the clauses are not the issue. It's who you give them to and when.

I note your caution, which is not unreasonable, but to which I disagree.
Of course there are always exceptions.
But guys like Duchene, who have a rep of me first to excessive degree, I don't give a rat's rump if we get him -- on our terms -- or not.

Consider Drury. Top shelf, first class. Durable, extremely. But not indestructible. Felt bad overall, perhaps guilty about taking our $ despite injury = no one's fault. Took hi a while to hang them up.

And it is not just those above scenarios, but to have a flat across the board line. We can more than reasonably guarantee Hayes thru NTCs he controls that if he didn't want to go to Boston b'c what they did to his brother, or a couple of other places for whatever reason, his position would be more than considered.

That is reasonable and fair, and the player should be content with that.
It is neither reasonable nor fair, nor acceptable, for a player to tell the team to bend, buckle and break and say it must unconditionally accept all risk if there is a need to move him. We got Bernie Nichols, who was a nice player, but we had to move him for Messier. What if BN had a NMC? Okay, another way would have been found but who the eff is a player, any player, to dictate to a club what MUST be done in his case because he has absolute control. No. Only God is absolute, by definition.

Clubs can also be unreasonable.
I despise conservativism, for reasons I will not get into external to this thread. I am not a fan of the rigid NY Yankees policy about facial hair/hair length, which is an arguably prejudicial manifestation of same. Oscar Gamble was what he was, no more, no less with his mega-afro. And Rod Carew was an elite HOF hitter, and that would not change with how clean shaven he was or was not.

A reasonable policy by the club respecting the interests of the player without allowing the player to control is necessary and essential. It is nice that Staal has rebounded, and if Leafs unload Marleau post season for cap space, we may be able to go there --- if Marc is willing to do a season or 2 at most closer to boyhood home. But while I appreciate all Staal's service, we have been and remain at his mercy, and going forward, that just has to stop.

Players who want to be here, whether for $ or other reasons, will come. The key is to be more than reasonable by giving them more than enough they can reasonably expect for their peace of mind, while not giving any player complete and unfettered ultimate control.

thanks for the good and constructive response.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
MSL was not a driving force in 2014. Outside of a few good games, he hardly made a difference.

That's absurd, of course he was.

MSL led our forwards in points in the 2014 playoffs, he led the team in points against Philly, set up the GWG in game 7 against Pitt and scored the OT goal in game 4 in the ECF against Montreal. Its questionable we get out of the first round with him.

He may not have been THE driving force in '14 but he definitely was A driving force. And there is zero argument against that point.

The problem with the MSL deal began with the issue that Sather big against himself.

This is equally absurd.

Tampa was under no obligation to trade MSL. They were a playoff team. In the end they were a 101 point team. St. Louis was the reigning Art Ross winner, he was the Tampa's leading scorer and one of the top scorers in the league. He's not even available if Stamkos doesn't miss most of the season.

Tampa set a high price and Sather met it. It doesn't matter if there were 20 teams bidding or just the Rangers, the lightning weren't rebuilding and MSL wasn't a free agent. Tampa was not going to trade MSL unless their price was met.

Also in what universe is a middle-six pending UFA, a 1st rounder and a conditional 2nd rounder some absurd price for a player like MSL was at the time? We nearly got as much for Nash who was half the player MSL was and didn't have another year.

I am not sure if all this is revisionism or bias or an attempt to make yourself feel better about being wrong about the Rangers having the ability to make a playoff run(s) but either way its incorrect and seems less based on reality and more based on what you want to believe.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The “Sather bidding against himself” myth needs to die.

He was bidding against Tampa’s willingness to move MSL. They had no real reason to move him outside of a teade request that didn’t NEED to be fulfilled.

Reactions: Thirty One

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

He was bidding against Tampa’s willingness to move MSL. They had no real reason to move him outside of a teade request that didn’t NEED to be fulfilled.
MSL had a no trade clause. He was willing to move it solely to come to NYR. Yzerman was motivated to trade him. Sather did not need to give away the farm for this.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He may not have been THE driving force in '14 but he definitely was A driving force. And there is zero argument against that point.
Absurdity is in the eye of the beholder, apparently. I have quite a bit argument regarding how necessary he or the trade were.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
MSL had a no trade clause. He was willing to move it solely to come to NYR. Yzerman was motivated to trade him. Sather did not need to give away the farm for this.
I don’t think Yzerman was as motivated to trade him as you think, considering it took two firsts and Callahan for him to move him.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
True.

See how easy that is?

Sure if you like to blatantly make incorrect statement it is pretty easy. It is entirely incorrect that Yzerman was motivated to trade him and that, as such, Sather should have been able to get him for cheap. The Rangers had almost no more leverage in this trade than they would have had if MSL didn't have a NMC.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Management doing a great job. Thankfully they didnt listen to fans who wanted to forgo getting assets for our ufa players. Need Tampa to win the cup and Zuc to sign in Dallas and then we will see this thing take off even more.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

You don't think the second paragraph is more than just an aside?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
MSL got us to a final that could've easily went another way if we got one bounce over the course of 3 games.

No regrets. That team was good enough to win but it just didn't happen.

Reactions: Thirty One

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad