Proposal: New York Rangers Management

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
MSL got us to a final that could've easily went another way if we got one bounce over the course of 3 games.

No regrets. That team was good enough to win but it just didn't happen.

Yeah I don't really have too many regrets about that trade, other than it being extraordinarily short-sighted. I still remember plenty of posters saying MSL would be elite until 43-44 years old.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yes they would have, but they may have also won in 2015 and literally no one would care right now.

The window shut after they lost game 7 of the ECF. I know they had a legitimate shot at getting back there 2 seasons later but that was a fools gold run if ever there was one and management saw it too.

Had they kept the band together they would probably be fighting for a playoff spot right now and would have probably made it in last year, despite that, they're closer to winning right now than they would have been if they went that route.

I think our little run of success from 2012-2015 should serve as a cautionary tale. Those teams were good, hell we even had a pretty decent farm at the end of the 2012 season which had already bore a ton of quality fruit for our big squad (which is why I laugh at those who want to crap all over this teams drafting, the foundation of those contending teams was built through the draft.) But no one who you would consider "elite" outside of our goalie and that one year from McDonagh that had yet to happen.

They had to cash in all of their chips in search of that guy - Nash, MSL, Yandle. It almost worked, but it didn't. Those guys were older and either eventually retired, left via UFA or declined and were eventually traded.

Had they drafted their "difference makers" they would have had many more kicks at the can. It's not that building the way that they did before can't work, it almost did - but you're working with much less margin for error, a shorter duration in which you can legitimately compete and you also have to draft a HoF goalie in the 7th round.

The Jessiman botch (and to a lesser extent Cherepanov) really haunted us and more or less cost us a Stanley Cup. We should have gotten our elite game breaking talent from that draft. Whether it be Getzlaf, Parise, Burns or even Kesler. There is no doubt in my mind one of those guys puts us over the top.

Imagine adding prime Mike Richards to that 2012 team.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It also meant there was one team that they could trade him to.
But they didn’t have to trade him is the point. Also, why wouldn’t the Rangers, who were contenders, not want to trade a middle six UFA and 2 futures (for all the mentioning of picks we get from contenders being very late firsts, there’s as much complaining about very late firsts the Rangers have given up) for a player who was leading the league in scoring at the time?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Tampa did want to trade MSL.

He had a no movement clause

rumored only wanted to go to the Rangers

They did not have to trade him, yet after that whole riff between him and Tampa about MSL not being included on the Olympic team, they were in a tough spot.

How much they really wanted to get rid of him, if their price was not met, is another matter which none of us are likely to figure out.

I did not like the trade, yet it and other stuff that year worked out better than I believed possible, so I was incorrect, yet still feel correct as the Cup was not delivered. I don't consider that to be unlucky as any of the series prior to the Cup could have been unlucky for the Rangers or lucky for that series opponent.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
We could have gotten to the SCF the year we got Brendan Smith had we had a different coach.
That Ottawa series was the worst coaching performance I'd ever seen in hockey.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
To me the biggest mistake by the front office by a long shot was extending AV when there was absolutely no reason for it and there were clear signs that AV might not be the right coach.

Reactions: jas

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Absurdity is in the eye of the beholder, apparently. I have quite a bit argument regarding how necessary he or the trade were.

If you want to argue about whether St. Louis was the guy to target, fine. There is certainly, even without the benefit of hindsight, an argument to be made there.

If you want to argue whether a team that ended up going to back-to-back ECFs was in a position to spend assets to try and win the cup, fine. Personally I think history has proven the "this team is going nowhere!" crowd soundly wrong, but that is just me. Being there are still people who claim we weren't a real contender you will probably have people agreeing with you. After all there is more to being a real contender than winning a lot in the regular season and the post season. Or something.

But whether or not one of our leading scorers in the playoffs had an impact in the playoffs or was a "driving force" in the playoffs is not debatable. Its absurd. How anyone can look at his play and production in a close 7 game first round and still seriously think the Rangers would have gone as far without him, is beyond me.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Yeah I don't really have too many regrets about that trade, other than it being extraordinarily short-sighted. I still remember plenty of posters saying MSL would be elite until 43-44 years old.

The argument that MSL would be elite into his 40's was crazy.

The argument he would be elite (or close enough) for the ~15 months remaining on his contract was reasonable, considering his level of play that year and the previous year.

Reactions: Off Sides

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
We could have gotten to the SCF the year we got Brendan Smith had we had a different coach.
That Ottawa series was the worst coaching performance I'd ever seen in hockey.

We could have gotten to the conference finals, but that would have been a fools gold run.

Montreal and Ottawa really weren't very good. Honestly neither was Pittsburgh, but they goal tended their way through 2 rounds, survived Ottawa and then faced a Nashville team being held together by popsicle sticks and electrical tape.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
We could have gotten to the conference finals, but that would have been a fools gold run.

Montreal and Ottawa really weren't very good. Honestly neither was Pittsburgh, but they goal tended their way through 2 rounds, survived Ottawa and then faced a Nashville team being held together by popsicle sticks and electrical tape.
That was easily one of the weakest fields of teams in recent memory. It's weird because the Pens team the year prior was godly.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
to me the rebuild started one year to early, after losing the ECF to tampa in game 7 during that off-season we traded hagelin to anaheim for somebody who probably paints houses now. should of kept the team together for one more run in 2016 then tear it down

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
to me the rebuild started one year to early, after losing the ECF to tampa in game 7 during that off-season we traded hagelin to anaheim for somebody who probably paints houses now. should of kept the team together for one more run in 2016 then tear it down
That wasn’t related in any way to a “rebuild”, we couldn’t afford to pay Hagelin what he wanted.

Which is why we got so little for him IMO.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

What about the summer prior when we let Boyle walk and didn't even offer Stralman a contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad