GDT: New York Rangers @ Calgary Flames 7pm MT

JulianHopper*

Do not want James Reimer.

Him and Bernier are supposedly both number 1s and the Leafs have lost 7 straight.

I do agree that the Flames will need to get another good goalie in the offseason. Joey MacDonald is more than likely gone so they will need someone in Abbotsford that can come up and play for the Flames when needed.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Do not want James Reimer.

Him and Bernier are supposedly both number 1s and the Leafs have lost 7 straight.

I do agree that the Flames will need to get another good goalie in the offseason. Joey MacDonald is more than likely gone so they will need someone in Abbotsford that can come up and play for the Flames when needed.

Well, the goalies are hardly the biggest issue with Toronto. They weren't winning at the start of the year because they were playing spectacular hockey, it was because their goalies were absolutely standing on their heads. Now they have come back to earth and the team is being exposed for its sloppy play. There are way too many other factors to just look at the goaltending as the cause of the losing streak.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
If we're going forward with Ramo I can see us sign a backup like Thomas Greiss. Apparently Greiss will leave Phoenix this summer since he can't get playing time behind Smith.

Greiss has shown that he's more than capable of winning games when called upon. I would love to have a stable backup like him as well

JulianHopper*

Well, the goalies are hardly the biggest issue with Toronto. They weren't winning at the start of the year because they were playing spectacular hockey, it was because their goalies were absolutely standing on their heads. Now they have come back to earth and the team is being exposed for its sloppy play. There are way too many other factors to just look at the goaltending as the cause of the losing streak.

If you're losing 7 games in a row then your goalies are part of the problem. You would expect a rebuilding team to lose 7 in a row. Has to be close to a season high losing streak in the league this year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If you're losing 7 games in a row then your goalies are part of the problem. You would expect a rebuilding team to lose 7 in a row. Has to be close to a season high losing streak in the league this year.

That's just not something that is true. It is possible for a team to play bad enough that they would lose with in-his-prime Patrick Roy. It is possible for them to play that poorly 7 times in a row. That's exactly what's happening in Toronto.

Frankly, that's about as obvious a logical fallacy as I've ever seen on these forums.

JulianHopper*

That's just not something that is true. It is possible for a team to play bad enough that they would lose with in-his-prime Patrick Roy. It is possible for them to play that poorly 7 times in a row. That's exactly what's happening in Toronto.

Frankly, that's about as obvious a logical fallacy as I've ever seen on these forums.

Karri Ramo's game last night is an example of how your goalie can win a game for you.

JulianHopper*

Not true, look at Miller in Buffalo this year.

In that case Buffalo is at the bottom of the league, that's a bit different situation as I alluded to earlier.

I believe the Leafs were supposed to be pretty close to a contender this season.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
The Leafs BARELY made the playoffs in a shortened season. Them making the playoffs was a fluke. They were no closer to being considered a contender than the Blue Jackets.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In that case Buffalo is at the bottom of the league, that's a bit different situation as I alluded to earlier.

I believe the Leafs were supposed to be pretty close to a contender this season.

The only reason people were thinking that was because in the early part of the season their goalies were helping them win games they had no business winning. Every analyst at the time was pointing to the advanced statistics and saying that they weren't going to be able to win down the stretch the way they were playing because goaltending like they were getting isn't an expected thing, it's a complete anomaly.

JulianHopper*

A goalie can help you win a game where you don't play better than the other team, but still, if our skaters hadn't scored 4 goals, then is Karri Ramo to blame?

In the Leaf's case they've been outscored 28-17 in the last 7 games and all regulation losses.

So no over time points and that tells me their goaltending hasn't been that good.

Reimer and Bernier are both over .900 in save percentage but 3.39 for Reimer and 2.67 for Bernier in goals against which is not that great.

JulianHopper*

How are the Rangers going to be in the playoffs? They're so bad. The Flames didn't play that good either, but man, the Rangers suck.

I agree, I don't think they're that good either. The Flames were the better team last night even though they were outshot and had a relapse in the beginning of the second period were they gave up 3 goals.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
In the Leaf's case they've been outscored 28-17 in the last 7 games and all regulation losses.

So no over time points and that tells me their goaltending hasn't been that good.

Reimer and Bernier are both over .900 in save percentage but 3.39 for Reimer and 2.67 for Bernier in goals against which is not that great.

I get what your saying as Riemer is struggling right now but had proven to be at worst a very good back up, given he wants out and could be cheap it makes sense.

With that said 17 goals in 7 games is poor. That is a pace of 199 goals in 82 games no team in a playoff spot is on pace for that few and the few that are low scoring are better defensively then the leafs imo. If your team is only averaging 2.4 goals playing for their lives then clearly goaltending isn't the only problem.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I saw this on the TSN.ca webpage, and couldn't help but hear the Hartley voice while reading it lol:

Calgary coach Bob Hartley commended Ramo for keeping his composure after giving up the three quick goals.

"Ee is so strong mentally," Hartley said. "It's almost like da boxer dat take a few good one on da chin. You get wobbaling but wit Karri, ee's solid, ee stay focus, den came back in da turd period wit big saves."

:D

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Rangers are actually a pretty good team. They have arguably the best goalie in the world, a d-corps that has McDonagh, Staal, and Girardi, and they have 2 above average top 2 lines. Yes that team has holes, but they are a pretty darn good team. They had an off game last night and give credit to our guys for out playing them.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Go Flames! Sucks it's so late here, I love the flames. Wish I could catch more of their games. Going to be such an exciting team in the near future, especially with Burke at the helm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad