Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Tampa Bay Lightning Game 4 (Series Tied 2-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Fine, but it still stands true for BB then. He was terrible when he first got here from LA.

Boyle told the Rangers that in order to stay, he wanted an assurance that he would be used differently, not pigeon holed the same way that he was used here. The Rangers wouldnt commit to that, to their credit. You can't, as an organization, limit your flexibility that way to suit 1 player, unless his name is Wayne Gretzky.

Last edited:

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
Stralman, B. Boyle, Cally, etc... they ultimately had the power in their hands to start negotiating fairly. Unfortunately, all of them had incredibly over zealous agents who thought they could tie Sather's hands behind his back.

Pretty much this. Sports/talent agents are some of the biggest scum bags in the world.

bramford

Oct 20, 2011
Don't say Bishop is trash when Hank allowed 12 goals in two games. Both goalies are obviously up and down. The best one tomorrow will win the game..

Bishop gave up 5 goals on 28 shots in game 3. And 5 on 24 yesterday. Hank has faced almost twice as many shots in these last two games and a lot more breakaways. Would you trade Hank for Bishop straight up? I wouldn't!

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Boyle told the Rangers that in order to stay, he wanted an assurance that he would be used differently, not pigeon holed the same way that he was used here. The Rangers wouldnt commit to that, to their credit. You can't, as an organization, limit your flexibility that way to suit 1 player, unless his name is Wayne Gretzky.

Then Boyle went to Tampa and played the same role he did here... He was just looking for an excuse to go to Tampa cuz his wife is from there

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I remember that Brass check clear as day. One of our softest forwards took 6'7" Boyle down like nothing and tapped his dome. I laughed out loud. It was awesome.

I definitely miss Brian Boyle still, but I forget about how Charmin soft he was, too.

Wouldn't call Brassard soft.

He's kind of a weasel tbh. He dives and chirps a lot, but he's also pretty nasty in spurts. I'd hate him if he was on the other team, for sure.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I loved Brian Boyle on the Rangers, he filled a role almost perfectly.
The bit about wanting a bigger role, that just doesn't really wash with me as a legitimate request. It was a head scratcher.
Players like Boyle get their position on the team according to what is needed and who can fulfill those needs. It's not like you fill out an application for a position and somebody gets back to you on it; it's an organic process occurring at ice level.

I remember thinking, and I may have posted my thoughts, can't remember, that maybe he just liked the geography of Tampa Bay and found a smaller city with beautiful sand and surf nearby to be attractive. Not everybody thinks NYC is the only place to be, let's just be honest.

Edit: This is my long winded way of saying that Capt McDonut is dead on.

Last edited:

BarbaraAlphanse

The bit about wanting a bigger role, that just doesn't really wash with me as a legitimate request. It was a head scratcher.
Players like Boyle get their position on the team according to what is needed and who can fulfill those needs. It's not like you fill out an application for a position and somebody gets back to you on it; it's an organic process occurring at ice level.

I remember thinking, and I may have posted my thoughts, can't remember, that maybe he just liked the geography of Tampa Bay and found a smaller city with beautiful sand and surf nearby to be attractive. Not everybody thinks NYC is the only place to be, let's just be honest.

It was an attempt to gain leverage in negotiations.

Knowing very well that a player is rarely, if ever, promised a role on a team, Boyle thought that he could go into negotiations saying "Well you can't offer me the role I want, but if you give me a higher salary, I'll overlook that i'm not doing what I want to do". I'm sure that the Rangers told Boyle that he was perfectly used as a member of last year's team, and his agent came back and countered with asking for a quite egregious contract to make up for the fact that he wasn't able to play in top 9 minutes.

From what I read, the Rangers were his priority, but after that first offer from his agents, they wished him well and moved on to Tanner Glass.

After that, I believe his wife is from the Tampa area, and the Lightning, a team located in a state with no state tax, in a geographic area that Boyle's family could be comfortable in, became legitimate players.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
It was an attempt to gain leverage in negotiations.

Knowing very well that a player is rarely, if ever, promised a role on a team, Boyle thought that he could go into negotiations saying "Well you can't offer me the role I want, but if you give me a higher salary, I'll overlook that i'm not doing what I want to do". I'm sure that the Rangers told Boyle that he was perfectly used as a member of last year's team, and his agent came back and countered with asking for a quite egregious contract to make up for the fact that he wasn't able to play in top 9 minutes.

From what I read, the Rangers were his priority, but after that first offer from his agents, they wished him well and moved on to Tanner Glass.

After that, I believe his wife is from the Tampa area, and the Lightning, a team located in a state with no state tax, in a geographic area that Boyle's family could be comfortable in, became legitimate players.

Yeah lots and lots of ridiculous misinformation in this thread. Boyle and Stralman wanted to stay on the Rangers. One, his agent goofed and the other the Rangers goofed.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

Edit: This is my long winded way of saying that Capt McDonut is dead on.
U clearly haven't been to Tampa. Its a big metropolitan area... He'd have to live about an hour away from Tampa to get the beautiful sand and surf. I'd suggest siesta key if ur ever gunna near that area.. One of the highest rated beaches in the world every year.

BarbaraAlphanse

Yeah lots and lots of ridiculous misinformation in this thread. Boyle and Stralman wanted to stay on the Rangers. One, his agent goofed and the other the Rangers goofed.

Perhaps. I think I remember reading that Stralman was asking for 5+ mill for 5+ years and a NTC.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Okay, so I do agree that Brian tried for leverage. That is totally kosher and standard business practive.
What I was addressing was the oft-repeated statement here and there that he wanted a 'bigger role'. At the time and since, it puzzled me, since that is not the way it works and I found it hard to believe that Boyle or his agent could possibly think that would work with Sather. Want a bigger role? Be a different player. "We got this much dough for where you slot in, interested?"

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Okay, so I do agree that Brian tried for leverage. That is totally kosher and standard business practive.
What I was addressing was the oft-repeated statement here and there that he wanted a 'bigger role'. At the time and since, it puzzled me, since that is not the way it works and I found it hard to believe that Boyle or his agent could possibly think that would work with Sather. Want a bigger role? Be a different player. "We got this much dough for where you slot in, interested?"

One of the beat writers put the kibosh on that "wanted a bigger role" thing. Said it was a misunderstanding from the breakup interviews.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Perhaps. I think I remember reading that Stralman was asking for 5+ mill for 5+ years and a NTC.

I think the term with Stralman was a bigger concern for the team than anything else. With Staal needing to be signed and upcoming expiring deals at forward, having a 2 year deal in Boyle was preferable to having another 5+ deal on top of McDonagh, Girardi and the one they planned on giving Staal. Plus Klein long term for cheap.

You don't compete long term by having so much of one position locked down for so long. Eventually you need to youth grade part of your roster.

I bet they would have preferred to give Boyle 1 year if they could have.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
One of the beat writers put the kibosh on that "wanted a bigger role" thing. Said it was a misunderstanding from the breakup interviews.

I'm sorry but I can't write it off as a misunderstanding when that's what he said word for word. And he said his future in the team was questionable.. And it was what 1 or 2 days after they lost in the cup final. Its clear he had been thinking about it for a while.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I think the term with Stralman was a bigger concern for the team than anything else. With Staal needing to be signed and upcoming expiring deals at forward, having a 2 year deal in Boyle was preferable to having another 5+ deal on top of McDonagh, Girardi and the one they planned on giving Staal. Plus Klein long term for cheap.

You don't compete long term by having so much of one position locked down for so long. Eventually you need to youth grade part of your roster.

I bet they would have preferred to give Boyle 1 year if they could have.
Well hindsight now tells us we should done that long contract with stralman and let girardi walk

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Rangers wanted offense from the blue line and didn't think stralman could provide it in their system. He was literally the worst point producing defenseman for the Rangers going purely off his own stats.

I'm not saying it wasn't a mistake but the Rangers wanted an offensive defenseman to take the role stralman had been playing for them

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I'm sorry but I can't write it off as a misunderstanding when that's what he said word for word. And he said his future in the team was questionable.. And it was what 1 or 2 days after they lost in the cup final. Its clear he had been thinking about it for a while.

Then don't you're free to believe whatever you want, it's wrong but believe away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad