Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers |Game 6| 4/29/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Look on the bright side guys, it's looking more and more likely that we won't lose our first rounder this year just so we can draft a 3rd line 2 way forward! Or another defense first defenseman! #InGordieWeBust

SHH. People actually think that we will draft an elite star with a mid-late first round pick. Don't ruin their hopes or illogical fantasies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
After the first penalty

9444_42bc.gif

That is just wonderfuL! I love it. Good chuckle

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
It shouldn't be a surprise the Rangers are tied in this series.

Cup contender:sarcasm: The Flyers were trying to give the Rangers the lead last night but the Rangers couldn't capitalize. Can Benoit Pouliot stop taking stupid penalties? Game 2 and last night. Can someone score a big goal?

Then there is Rick Nash

http://nypost.com/2014/04/30/time-for-low-key-rangers-to-man-up-in-game-7/

Larry is preaching to the choir. Many of us have said the same thing about Nash. Sather brought Nash in to be the difference maker when Nash had no playoff resume showing that he IS the man.

The next series begins on Friday. Plenty of time to rest up for Pittsburgh. The winner tonight would be playing their 4th game in 6 nights. Sunday afternoon. Tuesday. Wednesday. Friday. Pittsburgh played on Monday. 4 day break for them. Perfect. Not too short. Not too long.

Rangers should win tonight.

To quote Sir Sean Connery: "Losers whine about trying their best, it's the winner who goes home and ****s the prom queen".

Vickers8

I'll preface this by saying I really, really ****in' hate Simmonds but agree he is what we need, he's doing what our figure skater Nash should be doing.....with that said I firmly believe we will win tonight, we are better than them, but the same old tired story, no killer instinct....LGR!

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
G and McD blew this game, period. all FOUR goals today were scored by a guy who was WIDE OPEN with two absolute backbreakers directly attributed to those two and those two alone. This has been going on all series though. In every single game multiple guys are scoring when they're wide open due to a breakdown in coverage. The first goal yesterday G and McD were on Wayne's left AND right but they were so far apart that he was actually by himself in front of Hank. McD is braindead and it has nothing to do with the shoulder. He's shrinking in the big spot. His decisions are terrible, he isn't reacting properly to plays.

Unfortunately that's the way it's been this whole series for McD and to a lesser extent G.

That horrible Voracek game 2 goal (which cost us game 2, period) he decides to turn and skate too late after being up ice too far. Then G sits there, doesn't cover a single guy and allows Voracek to just come all the way across the crease. I dunno if McD called that he "had it" and communication b/t the two effed it up but it was similar on the first Simmonds goal today. This time G lost his coverage leaving Simmonds wide open and McD was not sure whether he should leave his post or not.

The 3rd goal was a breakaway. The 2nd goal yesterday I believe was where G had a horrendous TO in his own zone. McD AGAIN totally indecisive. Cover the pass option? Lay down to block the passing lane? Attack the shooter? Instead he chooses none of the above and does an awkward half kneel.

These have been MASSIVE D breakdowns and they have forced a series which should have been over in 5 games to go to 7. If these two hadn't had their heads up their ***** we win game 2 and game 5 would have been our clincher.

Can't have your entire top D pair choke like this. Hopefully McD gets it together because he's mainly at fault. You disagree? Fine. Analyze the goals we've given up with those two on the ice and we'll debate it.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Can't take dumb penalties. Rangers were outplaying the flyer until the stupid penalty by poliot!

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
The only solace I take out of this is that the F's showed me they can do enough to win this series. They did more than enough to win this in 5. Hank did more than enough although he could have easily stolen game 2 and failed to do so. His breakaway flub yesterday was also an absolute embarrassment. Considering the two late goals we scored that breakaway goal was the real game ender. Doesn't matter too much because of the 4th goal with Wayne wide open AGAIN.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Aside from the fact that Nash has been useless, Carcillo should have ABSOLUTELY PLAYED last night!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Why am I not surprised when I come to the post-game thread, theres very little conversation about the actual game, but instead scapegoating against 1 or 2 players from the usual suspects?

Lets start with Lundqvist and put the myths that he was "outplayed" by Mason to bed. The main reason this illusion is out there is because Mason didn't have a Ranger within 5 feet of his net the entire ****ing game. Meanwhile, the Flyers swarmed the Rangers net creating much better chances overall. That has just a little something to do with the 18 players that played in front of Lundqvist, no? If you think otherwise, you are brain dead.

The Rangers lost this game for 3 reasons:

1. They lost the special teams battle, badly
2. They showed little to no interest in getting to the front of the Flyers net or protecting the front of their own
3. They refused to adapt their game when the Flyers got a lead and started stacking the blue line

#1 manifested itself over and over. The Rangers looked great the first 5 minutes and it all imploded the moment Pouliot took a stupid penalty. The Rangers PP, who received praise and admiration earlier in the season, looks as bad as its ever been - primarily because of the teams refusal to keep it simple

#2 is perhaps the most frustrating part of this loss. The lack of killer instinct and the lack of urgency with a chance to close out an opponent is infuriating. The Flyers owned the front of the net/slot on both ends of the ice and the Rangers showed little willingness to change the situation

#3 became more apparent as the game went on, and was a byproduct of the Rangers lack of willingness to engage. The Flyers stacked the blue line and clogged the middle of the ice when they got the lead - it was clear as day. Yet, play after play, one Ranger would streak through the neutral zone, try to go through 2 or 3 guys, and inevitably turn it over. They just stopped playing like a team. And dumping it in and winning a battle to go get it? Nah, thats way too hard.

With all the frustration and me wanting to throw my television out the window, I still think the Rangers are the better even strength team and should win tonight -- if they want it bad enough.

AHB*

SHH. People actually think that we will draft an elite star with a mid-late first round pick. Don't ruin their hopes or illogical fantasies.

Why not just trade every draft pick we have then for established players?

Half our team is built from draft picks and another third is built from trades we made based on guys who we grew.

In a cap world, you need draft picks to develop and become producers. Even if that first round pick ends up being a 2nd line winger like Kreider, etc.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
IMO, the Rangers defensive system has been getting exposed. I've never seen so many goals where the opposing players were so wide open.

Exposed in a different way than earlier in the season. Earlier, it was missed assignments and generally looking confused.

Last night, it was more about lacking the ability/desire to clear the front of the net. I dont think last night was a systemic issue - I think it was more about effort.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Why am I not surprised when I come to the post-game thread, theres very little conversation about the actual game, but instead scapegoating against 1 or 2 players from the usual suspects?

Lets start with Lundqvist and put the myths that he was "outplayed" by Mason to bed. The main reason this illusion is out there is because Mason didn't have a Ranger within 5 feet of his net the entire ****ing game. Meanwhile, the Flyers swarmed the Rangers net creating much better chances overall. That has just a little something to do with the 18 players that played in front of Lundqvist, no? If you think otherwise, you are brain dead.

The Rangers lost this game for 3 reasons:

1. They lost the special teams battle, badly
2. They showed little to no interest in getting to the front of the Flyers net or protecting the front of their own
3. They refused to adapt their game when the Flyers got a lead and started stacking the blue line

#1 manifested itself over and over. The Rangers looked great the first 5 minutes and it all imploded the moment Pouliot took a stupid penalty. The Rangers PP, who received praise and admiration earlier in the season, looks as bad as its ever been - primarily because of the teams refusal to keep it simple

#2 is perhaps the most frustrating part of this loss. The lack of killer instinct and the lack of urgency with a chance to close out an opponent is infuriating. The Flyers owned the front of the net/slot on both ends of the ice and the Rangers showed little willingness to change the situation

#3 became more apparent as the game went on, and was a byproduct of the Rangers lack of willingness to engage. The Flyers stacked the blue line and clogged the middle of the ice when they got the lead - it was clear as day. Yet, play after play, one Ranger would streak through the neutral zone, try to go through 2 or 3 guys, and inevitably turn it over. They just stopped playing like a team. And dumping it in and winning a battle to go get it? Nah, thats way too hard.

With all the frustration and me wanting to throw my television out the window, I still think the Rangers are the better even strength team and should win tonight -- if they want it bad enough.

My God. A logical and well positioned post in a PGT after a loss? Kudos to you, sir. Kudos. Agreed on all counts.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Exposed in a different way than earlier in the season. Earlier, it was missed assignments and generally looking confused.

Last night, it was more about lacking the ability/desire to clear the front of the net. I dont think last night was a systemic issue - I think it was more about effort.

Agreed. They were skating circles around the Flyers when they had the puck, but when they didn't they lost assignments. They have guys who were either unwilling, or couldn't win those battles.

This is something you and I discussed months ago about this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad