Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers 2/28/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
This was their worst overall display since the home debacle against the Oilers. Team didn't even bring their C or D game to the rink. It happens though.

Maybe they were distracted by the deadline and sudden Zucc rumours. Or it could be as simple as looking ahead to a stretch of 5 tough games and taking the Flyers for granted. You can't take anyone too lightly and NYR looked really indifferent.

The PP is the real concern from this game. 1st unit has been in a rut and getting worse from the looks of it.

I'd be terrified by our goaltending if Hank wasn't due back within a couple of weeks.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Well, that's your 8 mil contract - he is human and injured.
So all contracts with that length is a risk imho.

Honk's rarely injured. I don't think people realize how lucky we are that we get Honk on a nightly basis. Part of why he had that 30 win season streak was because we knew we'd get 60+ games with him every season.

I just want to see him healthy and playing again. And I really hope it doesn't become a recurring injury.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Honk's rarely injured. I don't think people realize how lucky we are that we get Honk on a nightly basis. Part of why he had that 30 win season streak was because we knew we'd get 60+ games with him every season.

I just want to see him healthy and playing again. And I really hope it doesn't become a recurring injury.

ya, true that - I agree.

My point is that since his contract is expensive - it's very noticeable
when a player is injured, and it's hard to get all players within the salary cap.
The truth is I think Sather want to use MSL in Zucc position, because who can blame him, he is a hall of famer with some good years left.
And Stepan is a must sign, because Rangers need another center in the summer.
I agree with most fans here: if the rumor was true by Brooks and he didn't sign the (4.2-4.5) mil contract in consider Zucc have slow season this year even though he had a 7 pts. streak earlier and own personal record - he is not in playoffs condition yet and that much is obvious and we all saw that tonight vs. Flyers.

But it's hard to focus and play hockey with all the rumours maybe.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Guys I don't care if Zucc got traded, I'm still a Ranger fan - I've t-shirts and a mixing glass as last year champions. :)
It's just sad, because he enjoy NY.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Frustrating game. It happens. Disaster of a game by Boyle, Stepan, MSL, Kreider, amongst others.

Put this one behind us, on to Monday.

qft. we lacked poise, speed, grit tonigh.

D. Moore and Miller had great games though.
T. Glass with +1. ;)

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
ya, true that - I agree.

My point is that since his contract is expensive - it's very noticeable
when a player is injured, and it's hard to get all players within the salary cap.
The truth is I think Sather want to use MSL in Zucc position, because who can blame him, he is a hall of famer with some good years left.
And Stepan is a must sign, because Rangers need another center in the summer.
I agree with most fans here: if the rumor was true by Brooks and he didn't sign the (4.2-4.5) mil contract in consider Zucc have slow season this year even though he had a 7 pts. streak earlier and own personal record - he is not in playoffs condition yet and that much is obvious and we all saw that tonight vs. Flyers.

But it's hard to focus and play hockey with all the rumours maybe.

I wonder if that's why they had such a bad game. Trade deadline is still on for a couple of days, and some players may be nervous at the thought of possibly being moved.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
I understand I overreacted with my "no one should be safe" post, but there should be definite concern with the effort level put forth tonight.

This would have been a loss with Lundqvist in net. I can't blame Talbot at all. Didn't think he had a chance at any 3 goals against.

Miller gets my only vote for a star tonight. The rest of the team looked lethargic, lazy, or both. This **** isn't going to fly in the playoffs, or even in the next month with a tough schedule upcoming.

Shape up.

Maybe the players are sad or pist at the possibility for losing Zucc? I clearly remember he was promised an extension in january when he signed a one year deal. Glenn is clearly not interested to honor his promise.
Yes, I know, the players are professionals,but they are also humans.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Giving up 3 goals in every game is eventually going to cost you and last night it did. This team is pretty fortunate that they won the 10 games they did in February.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Giving up 3 goals in every game is eventually going to cost you and last night it did. This team is pretty fortunate that they won the 10 games they did in February.

Agree, but it is the team that allows the 3 goals. For example the first goal Talbot was shot at a few times point black. He made those saves but Rangers still couldnt get the puck out. I was always thought here that a goalie should make that first or second save but then the team should do the rest. I guess Talbot is held to higher standards.
Now the scond goal was a deflection. Third one was soft, bad position, but a shot was at close range.

So whats the problem?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The first goal was awful another bleeder on cam he was there with plenty of time.

Bad goal after bad goal kid is horrible

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Agree, but it is the team that allows the 3 goals. For example the first goal Talbot was shot at a few times point black. He made those saves but Rangers still couldnt get the puck out. I was always thought here that a goalie should make that first or second save but then the team should do the rest. I guess Talbot is held to higher standards.
Now the scond goal was a deflection. Third one was soft, bad position, but a shot was at close range.

So whats the problem?

The problem is everyone blames the goalie because he's an easy target.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Can't win em all is all that needs to be said. Congrats on winning your 2015 Game 7, Philly. I was there and I still don't care. Would've been nice, but... Meh. We're still probably winning the division.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
we just gotta get back to playing better.
Too many times the puck was back out of the Philly zone in a heartbeat.
McD has been playing average, or at least inconsistent.
Don't want to get off on a tangent here, but I never agreed with making him captain, its a distracting responsibility for a guy who was great, but still getting even better.
And now we need a captain to help sharpen everyone's focus and compete.
These are tough games (Preds, Wings) coming up, a 3 game losing streak is as likely as not.

EDIT - or even 6 loss streak, with Hawks, Isles, Caps to follow.
Snap out of it, boys!

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Boyle, Girardi, McDonagh & Talbot are the 4 biggest reasons why we lost tonight

MSL was also horrendous & Brassard, Zuccarello, Stepan, and Kreider never got off the bus

No, Cam wasn't why we lost. He made quite a few tough saves.

BrassGOD, for the first time ever, wasn't making smart decisions. That losing goal, I said to the Mrs. "Brass, no! That was first stupid thing I've seen him do, this is going to bite me in the ass. Holy crap here they come they're going to bite me in the ass. No, no, noooooo...MOTHER ****ER! IT JUST BIT ME ON THE ASS"

Those 15 seconds prolly shoulda been on instagram lol

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Can't keep playing like ass and expect to win.

The team has been bad for well over a month (a game or two aside).

Expect this and worse if they don't start turning it around... games are only going to get tougher and I'm not even mentioning the schedule and teams we face coming up.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Tagging up does not negate the goal.

From the main boards:

I think you're missing my point, we all know through replays kreider was a bit offsides and it shouldn't have been a goal if called correctly from the onset.

If you watch the video though the linesman washes out the offsides and ref calls it a goal. Play is over, it's a goal, and celebrations ensue.

My beef is someone said something and they decided to talk about it and change their minds. It's a review without a legitimate review process in place for offsides.

A goal called good needs definitive proof to be disallowed. Chatting about what someone thinks they saw or did not see is not definitive.

Find one time a goal was reviewed for offsides AFTER the fact, much like you won't find an instance of refs reviewing intent to blow or the puck being pushed in after it was covered for a good three seconds. This is about as dumb as a ref changing his mind about a penalty after the player is in the box and he looks up to check the jumbo-tron (also does not happen ever).

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Can't keep playing like ass and expect to win.

The team has been bad for well over a month (a game or two aside).

Expect this and worse if they don't start turning it around... games are only going to get tougher and I'm not even mentioning the schedule and teams we face coming up.

they are probably bored. the standings make no real difference, the opponents are a wash, aside from making the case that playing boston would suck in the first round and they would get their soft euro selves beat up.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
They've been playing like crap for so long. It was bound to catch up with them.

That record post-Lundqvist is deceiving. You can argue that Glass has been one of the few consistent forwards.

That's pretty sad.

Yeah the forwards were the problem during that stretch. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad