Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at New Jersey Devils - December 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
To be fair, AV never gave it a legitimate shot. He broke them up in game 2 of the season at a time when everyone was still playing poorly and Shattenkirk was clearly not adjusted to the system yet.

The Rangers use McDonagh against the opposing team’s best players. PK. D-zone starts. That’s not Shattenkirk. It was a flawed strategy from the beginning.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Generally speaking, what causes mistakes on the backend? Pressure. Not having an out. They make their share of unforced errors, surely, especially Shattenkirk, when they get too fancy. But forwards flying the zone and leaving you no relief valves results in bad choices that look like lazy plays or brainfarts. When was the last time this team consistently went up the ice as a unit?
Tom Renney? Maybe in AV's first season they did it a bit more? But I think you are spot on. It doesn't help that our D is just not a great skating defense outside of Skjei and McDonagh, makes it easy for opposing forwards to close in on them and force bad passes especially when there's little forward support.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
What game did you watch? Shattenkirk was beyond horrible this game.

yea he was but he played 3 minutes in the third, he played a poor game but he wasnt the reason we lost....idc how poor of a game he was playing btw hes a better option then f***ing staal and holden who were dumpster fires at times

mac still cant string a pass at all

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Tom Renney? Maybe in AV's first season they did it a bit more? But I think you are spot on. It doesn't help that our D is just not a great skating defense outside of Skjei and McDonagh, makes it easy for opposing forwards to close in on them and force bad passes especially when there's little forward support.

They try reverse plays. Those work when the opposing team decides to change and they should get a controlled out. But I often don't see the forwards coming back. So often the result is a long pass to center ice or a long pass up the side wall. Even when they try a reverse play, it often goes up the half wall because of opponents' pressure and the forwards not getting to the offside to provide support.

I honestly don't think they're lazy. They play a transition finesse system and the mantra is to stick to the system thinking if they stick to it they will be successful. When they face a strong pressure team, the system doesn't provide plan B solutions. It takes some time for them to make adjustments or the opponent naturally slows down or eases off after coming out of the gates like a bat out of hell. Then we start to play better. Sometimes the other team executes so well for three periods, we're never able to push back.

What's the one position that the system doesn't affect? Goalie. Lundqvist has bad nights but he's never been accused of looking lazy at the start of a game. Quite the opposite. He bails out the perceptibly slow starts.

When slower opponents can't keep up with us, we look like world beaters. We match up well against similar skating and finesse teams. Pond hockey. The strong, fast, and big teams make us look silly.

Last edited:

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

This is one of the main reasons I hate AV’s system. The forwards are high in the D zone and are off to the races once one of our D touches the puck. You’re just begging for tons of high danger scoring chances. It’s either a home run pass or a turnover.

Reactions: will1066

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
They try reverse plays. Those work when the opposing team decides to change and they should get a controlled out. But I often don't see the forwards coming back. So often the result is a long pass to center ice or a long pass up the side wall. Even when they try a reverse play, it often goes up the half wall because of opponents' pressure and the forwards not getting to the offside to provide support.

I honestly don't think they're lazy. They play a transition finesse system and the mantra is to stick to the system thinking if they stick to it they will be successful. When they face a strong pressure team, the system doesn't provide plan B solutions. It takes some time for them to make adjustments or the opponent naturally slows down or eases off after coming out of the gates like a bat out of hell. Then we start to play better. Sometimes the other team executes so well for three periods, we're never able to push back.

What's the one position that the system doesn't affect? Goalie. Lundqvist has bad nights but he's never been accused of looking lazy at the start of a game. Quite the opposite. He bails out the perceptibly slow starts.

When slower opponents can't keep up with us, we look like world beaters. We match up well against similar skating and finesse teams. Pond hockey. The strong, fast, and big teams make us look silly.
Great post.

Reactions: will1066

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Not disagreeing with you at all but it's hard to compare a goalie and skaters looking lazy.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Also, the ex Ranger thing is pathetic, and happens far to often to simply dismiss it as bad luck. It's truly remarkable how often it happens, and would be pretty easy to analytically compare with the rest of the league. I'd be willing to bet, like our dumbass mistakes, that is well above league average.

Unadulterated nonsense.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Not disagreeing with you at all but it's hard to compare a goalie and skaters looking lazy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the skaters are not lazy. It is the style with which they play that makes them look like they're not giving effort, when they are actually being hemmed in their own zone and there's no reasonable play that they can make, so they're forced into mistakes. So much of it depends on man to man coverage, the poke check, the long stretch pass and the transition.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I feel like you gave me a project that I will spend this whole holiday working on. Although it's probably too big of an undertaking to go through all of the scorers of every game for a few seasons. But I'll try. (My guess is I'll give up before I'm done, haha).

Do it!

If there's a data download function on the NHL website somewhere, and you can pull in all the columns it would be pretty easy to do in excel. Just a lot of Index(match) functions.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I could have had more fun typing random hockey-sounding names like Christian Dubois in the Google search box and seeing what comes up (orthopedic surgeon) last night than watching the game.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Those "more skilled" players are less skilled than Vesey in shootouts.

Plus, teams practice shootouts. How do you know Vesey isn't one of the best shooters in practice, in afdition to being one of the best in real games?

It's not like he put Carey or Holden to shoot 3rd. He picked one of his best.

Something tells me you're blaming Vigneault no matter who missed that 3rd chance.

Now I know that you are not serious.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I could have had more fun typing random hockey-sounding names like Christian Dubois in the Google search box and seeing what comes up (orthopedic surgeon) last night than watching the game.
Kjell plus any last name.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Still waiting for them to crash down to earth. Their shooting percentages are really unsustainable despite all of those shots that they generated against us last night.

Devils have a team shooting percentage of 10.2 % (10th in the league)
Rangers have a team shooting percentage of 10.5 % (8th in the league)
Islanders have a team shooting percentage of 11.3 % (2nd behind Tampa)

Reactions: DVision44

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Devils have a team shooting percentage of 10.2 % (10th in the league)
Rangers have a team shooting percentage of 10.5 % (8th in the league)
Islanders have a team shooting percentage of 11.3 % (2nd behind Tampa)
The Rangers have had a very high Sh% for 4 consecutive seasons including 2017-18.

Actually the last time I checked, NYR’s Goal+/- vs. Expected Goal+/- was the most balanced in the league. They are what they are.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I can't believe people are still arguing about shootout lineups. I just watched the replay of that tire fire. Goodness f***ing gracious. At least Hayes' offense is regressing back to the norm a bit. Four game point streak going on right now.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Do it!

If there's a data download function on the NHL website somewhere, and you can pull in all the columns it would be pretty easy to do in excel. Just a lot of Index(match) functions.

I'm going through hockeyreference. I don't think I'll have the patience. I estimated it would take 3 days with no time off for sleep to just get the data for the last three seasons, including this one. I'm going game by game and getting stats from players.

P.S. I really need to learn how to do index/match, I'm old school and do VLookups. I guess I can take a look at a youtube tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad