Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Montreal Canadiens |Game 5| 5/27/14

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Kreider did have a 4 point game. It was arguably the worst performance I have ever seen from a player scoring 4 points.

I was thinking the same thing last night. I can't believe he collected 4 points, AND committed arguably the worst penalty of the game.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
iUEdXTjeJCcEs.gif

AHB*

Cam Fan, you are unreal.

No suspension or fine for Bourque/Dorsett, per Renaud.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
so people were afraid to face Boston and felt the Rangers had a good chance if they didn't have to. If regular season doesn't mean much, and anything can happen in the playoffs, why wouldn't one be afraid of the team who beat the Bruins? Watching this series, it is pretty even, and to begin the series I think many thought it was pretty even, which then tilted way to the Rangers after game one and Price being knocked out. Having said that, hopefully we are all on the same page and rooting for the Rangers to end this series tomorrow. Another game in Montreal is not very desirable.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Lundqvist next game after being pulled career regular season: 17 starts, 12-3-2, 2.41 GAA, .914 SV% (Elias)

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I hate that we all of a sudden lack discipline these past 2 games.

We really need to get back to our fundamentals and focus...This is with the Stanley Cup on the line

You nailed it, for the last two games their discipline seemed to have vanished. And if they don't want to go back Montreal, I hope they find it as in not taking a penalty in the first minute of the game or taking several throughout the game.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You nailed it, for the last two games their discipline seemed to have vanished. And if they don't want to go back Montreal, I hope they find it as in not taking a penalty in the first minute of the game or taking several throughout the game.

There's a mix here, because everything they Do do, and much of what they don't do, get's called because of embellishment.

NYR have to play non-contact hockey against Montreal? Not sure that is their style but I guess it's a good thing our defensive corps aren't exactly "bruising"

Jonathan81

Sep 12, 2011

LOL as a Sens fans who live in Quebec i gotta say that this gif just make my day. I don't remember how many times i argue with my friends who are mostly all Habs fans that they are cheering for the worst ***** diving whinnig team of the whole nhl even though they will never admit it.

I'm gonna send this to all of them. Now i really hope the Rangers will close the deal tomorrow. Good luck to you guys :)

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The difference in personnel is miniscule.

Please explain how Montreal finished ahead of the Rangers and are markedly worse than the Rangers. Best you might be able to come up with is some whining excuses, like the fans of Montreal.

I was using your own words.

The Rangers finished four points back of Montreal. Acting as if that instantly proves they're the better team is silly.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Marc Staal's stinkers have gotten out of control. He's not the only inconsistent player on the team, but his floor is just too low. He's great alot of nights but when he's not great, he's an ECHL player.

Last night in the biggest game we've played in 20 years, he's completely in no man's land doing absolutely nothing on the 1st goal, plays Plakenic like he's the plague on the 2nd goal, gets beat like a dog to a loose puck on the 3rd goal, and just falls down on the 5th goal.

Four blantant, egregious, minor league errors on four different goals.

There's talk of him leaving when his contract is up, and quite frankly, for a guy who's gonna play on our 2nd pair, I think there's less expensive and more consistent options.

I actually prefer a guy like Klien, who while rarely spectacular, shows up just about every night and never makes more than one cancerous mistake in one game.

machphantom

Oct 22, 2011
Another thing...

I think if the Rangers don't win Game 6, it becomes almost impossible for them to win the Stanley Cup. The schedule has been announced and is set in stone.

Win tomorrow, and you basically get a full week off, which is absolutely PIVOTAL for this team at this point. I think part of the reason they looked so terrible in Game 5, (besides "not bringing it") is that the effects of being on the PK the entire night in Game 4 was taking its toll on the players.

If they win tomorrow, I feel as though they'll have that speed back that made them so deadly at the beginning of the series. If they go to seven games and somehow survive at the Bell Center, they're only getting three days off, and I don't see how they have enough energy to survive yet another long series with a deadly Kings/Hawks team.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Marc Staal's stinkers have gotten out of control. He's not the only inconsistent player on the team, but his floor is just too low. He's great alot of nights but when he's not great, he's an ECHL player.

Last night in the biggest game we've played in 20 years, he's completely in no man's land doing absolutely nothing on the 1st goal, plays Plakenic like he's the plague on the 2nd goal, gets beat like a dog to a loose puck on the 3rd goal, and just falls down on the 5th goal.

Four blantant, egregious, minor league errors on four different goals.

There's talk of him leaving when his contract is up, and quite frankly, for a guy who's gonna play on our 2nd pair, I think there's less expensive and more consistent options.

I actually prefer a guy like Klien, who while rarely spectacular, shows up just about every night and never makes more than one cancerous mistake in one game.

I disagree completely with the second half of your post, but the top half you're on to something. Staal has been awful the last three games. Not just our worst defender, our worst player.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ

The Rangers finished four points back of Montreal. Acting as if that instantly proves they're the better team is silly.

Yeah, Penguins were how many points ahead of us? Sure, they're a better regular season team than us because they have Crosby and Malkin but they're too poorly constructed to beat anything but the wildcards/very inexperienced teams. Having more points in the regular season is meaningless when it comes to on ice play in the playoffs. All it does is determine who gets in and who gets home ice.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I disagree completely with the second half of your post, but the top half you're on to something. Staal has been awful the last three games. Not just our worst defender, our worst player.

Well as far as letting him go, it's less of a question of his horrible play, and more of a question of whether we should be spending 5-6 million on a guy who will be on our 2nd pair.

He is not and never will be good enough to take McDonagh's spot. Girardi plays the other side and I think he's better anyway. Staal, already making around 4.5, will be looking for a raise.

Meanwhile we can get a 2nd pairing defenseman for 3-4 million.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yeah, Penguins were how many points ahead of us? Sure, they're a better regular season team than us because they have Crosby and Malkin but they're too poorly constructed to beat anything but the wildcards/very inexperienced teams. Having more points in the regular season is meaningless when it comes to on ice play in the playoffs. All it does is determine who gets in and who gets home ice.

Another thing to consider is the fact that we did not have our current best forward until the final 20 games of the season. I'm sure this team with MSL in instead of Callahan for a full 82 games would have had a better record. Klein is another factor, too, albeit a smaller one.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
I think Staal is having trouble against some of these small speedy forwards. He was great in the first two rounds. Going against bigger forwards.

If the Rangers move on, I expect him to bounce back.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
You're wrong and it has been discussed ad nauseum in several threads prior and early to the playoffs. If you chose not to read them or simply disagree that is up to you, but you're wrong.

The best team does not always win or finish higher in the rankings than lesser teams. Thinking that is the case is beyond naive.

You are re-writing a universal truth of sports. Winning is no longer the mark of being better. Instead, it is whoever you think is better is really better, no matter the result. A team's record is irrelevant to you.

Your theory runs into quite a bit of problems when you consider that different people hold different opinions as to which teams are actually better.

Are you the arbiter of better in all sports or does this apply only to hockey?

Before the playoffs started, who did you think the best team was? Are they still alive?

You can call me naive, but you have placed yourself as the Great Decider of the truth of hockey. That might work in your brain, but when another human being enters the discussion and disagrees with you, how is a judgment made as to who is right?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

I didn't say Montreal was better. I said they are fairly even. Others here disagree and think the Rangers are markedly better. I have yet to find out what this opinion is based on.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I didn't say Montreal was better. I said they are fairly even. Others here disagree and think the Rangers are markedly better. I have yet to find out what this opinion is based on.

Before this series I would have said the two teams were even. Definitely think Henrik is better than Price. I don't think that's controversial. I've come to the conclusion during the series we have a better defense corps but I'm not sure that's saying a lot. We were awful last night. It's just the likes of Markov, Emelin and whoever they play as their 6 D have too many issues and are not all that impressive. A lot of age on their D as well---Markov, Weaver both 35, Bouillon 38, Murray 33.

I don't think Montreal is particularly good 5 on 5. They depend a lot on their pwp which may be a big reason why they work so hard to draw penalties by fair means or foul. The regular season bears it out--only 11 more goals for than against and the cumulative +/- for the Canadiens the whole season--adding all the pluses and subtracting all the minuses of all their players is something like a +4 meaning they scored one more goal 5 on 5 than their opposition over an 82 game schedule. Call it average or mediocre. Their offense is no great shakes. Rangers 218 regular season goals Montreal 215.

No real elite forwards for either team. Some wannabe elite forwards--some used to be elite forwards but that's about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad