• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I seriously need someone to explain to me with a straight face how winning games that will at best get us destroyed in the first round is worth giving up a top talent for. I feel like a lot of it is just ego stroking. I wanna win man! I'm such a winner!

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Gorton goes out and trades for new players.
New players play hard, some wins ensue.
Please explain to me with a straight face how these wins are are to be prevented.
1. Tell the players not to try. Just half-ass it out there. (Forget for a minute that good people do not do this.)
2. Cut the roster down and sit the players contributing to the wins. Pretend they are injured. Be like the Penguins were.

Later, when Gorton wants to use some of these players he has assembled to move up and secure high pick(s), explain that these players are actually good. Hey, don't let that dismal finish on the downswing fool you. You want these players I have.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I seriously need someone to explain to me with a straight face how winning games that will at best get us destroyed in the first round is worth giving up a top talent for. I feel like a lot of it is just ego stroking. I wanna win man! I'm such a winner!
I think it's important with a rebuilding team. Especially with young players on the team that you have a winning culture so to speak. Just be competitive and give it your all. We all know that having a top pick this year is way more advantageous than making the playoffs. But don't you like seeing your team try? I'm happy that they are putting in the effort. But honestly from here on out with the schedule they are going to lose a lot of games. As long as they give 100% effort I'm ok with them losing.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Players and coaches wants to win the games they play/direct. Shocking, i know :)

As for me, i'd rather they give it their all than intentionally lose every game for a 0.05 percent chance at someone who might pan out in a few years time... (but thats just me).

Since we just played the Oilers, the last 8 years, they've drafted :

2010 - Taylor Hall (1st overall).
2011 - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (1st overall).
2012 - Nail Yakupov (1st overall).
2013 - Darnell Nurse (7th overall).
2014 - Leon Draisaitl (3rd overall).
2015 - Connor McDavid (1st overall).
2016 - Jesse Puljujarvi (4th overall).
2017 - Kailer Yamamoto (22nd overall).

With this ridiculous amount of high end drafts, the Oilers have crushed all opposition, and... oh wait.. they didnt...

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I've seen this argument on other boards guys. It's not worth it. The GDTs have been fine, probably the best we've had in years honestly. Don't make an issue where there isn't one.

Reactions: Fvital92

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I mean that's basically what I'm already doing. I want the young guys to play well AND I want a high draft pick. I definitely don't want this team to make the playoffs though. We would get steamrolled. I'm not interested in watching the Rangers get swept by the Lightning. That sounds a lot worse to me than watching them lose regular season games to close out the season.

Fair.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Players and coaches wants to win the games they play/direct. Shocking, i know :)

As for me, i'd rather they give it their all than intentionally lose every game for a 0.05 percent chance at someone who might pan out in a few years time... (but thats just me).

Since we just played the Oilers, who aren't exactly regarded as a very good team...well.. the last 8 years, they've drafted :

With this ridiculous amount of high end drafts, the Oilers have crushed all opposition, and... oh wait.. they didnt...

Right, but I think that's a argument against trading the whole team. But winning meaningless games (for all intents and purposes) won't stop teams from being the next Oilers.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You're missing the point. This debate doesn't have a resolution. Some people share your perspective, some people don't. Sports are entertainment. You're not going to convince people to stop enjoying wins.

Don't get me wrong I celebrate when they score. I can understand people that say they just can't root for the team to lose, I'm not that far from that mindset either, I'm finding it difficult. But then you get the "f*** the tank" people. Those people are actively rooting for a worse future for the team. I'm mostly talking about the people that make it a point of how they don't want to tank rather than just celebrating wins or not wanting losses.

Reactions: Holocene

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Right, but I think that's a argument against trading the whole team. But winning meaningless games (for all intents and purposes) won't stop teams from being the next Oilers.
I naturally understand that through losing we increase our chances at a better pick (or the "elusive unicorn" Dahlin...lol), i was just trying to illustrate that even getting who is perceived as the best year after year isn't a guarantee of success. Looking at the Oilers, not even probable success, hehe

We have a very tough schedule to round out the season, so we might yet lose every single game we have left even if everyone does their best. I have no problem with that, doing the best one can but coming up short happens (though i naturally prefer winning, who doesn't). But intentionally throwing games just rubs me the wrong way :)

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Don't get me wrong I celebrate when they score. I can understand people that say they just can't root for the team to lose, I'm not that far from that mindset either, I'm finding it difficult. But then you get the "**** the tank" people. Those people are actively rooting for a worse future for the team. I'm mostly talking about the people that make it a point of how they don't want to tank rather than just celebrating wins or not wanting losses.
I will never root for them to lose. But what ever happens happens.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Don't get me wrong I celebrate when they score. I can understand people that say they just can't root for the team to lose, I'm not that far from that mindset either, I'm finding it difficult. But then you get the "**** the tank" people. Those people are actively rooting for a worse future for the team. I'm mostly talking about the people that make it a point of how they don't want to tank rather than just celebrating wins or not wanting losses.
I personally do it because I hate the draft system and don’t believe failure & incompetence should be rewarded. I don’t think you should ever be better off losing. And it’s unfair to the kids who worked their whole lives to become a professional athlete to then go to some horrible organization that destroys their development and potentially ruins their entire career (Edmonton, Arizona, Buffalo). I wish every team had the exact same odds in the draft lottery, or that it went by points accumulated since statistically eliminated from playoff contention. Which would still usually result in the worst team winning since they have the most games to accumulate points, but still make it so bubble teams are better off winning

FJB

Jun 30, 2009

Since we just played the Oilers, the last 8 years, they've drafted :

Amazing, isn't it?

Meanwhile Pittsburgh had what 3 or 4 lottery picks and now have 3 cups? Chicago had 2 lottery picks and 3 cups?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
There are gonna be little streaks like this. They are not THAT bad. They will finish bottom 5-10.

But I flat out do not understand how anyone could WANT the NYR to sneak into the playoffs to be extreme underdogs to the TB Rangers (putting it kindly) and give up the lottery pick. That's insane to me.

I get rooting for the NYR in the moment and know they are too proud of an org to intentionally tank. But I don't understand sitting here, looking forward, and wanting that outcome.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Very angry with these results. We need to tank. I do not want to be stuck in perpetual mediocrity forever. We need talent. We need first line players. We can only get those in the lottery these days. We need to give ourselves the best chance to get a franchise player to carry this offense. We are not winning the Stanley Cup without 2 or 3 elite players and we currently have ZERO. Anyone saying oh pride this pride that, losing this losing that. NO. You want to rebuild then stick to the rebuild. This team needs a full rebuild not another half assed attempt. Were not winning jack shit that way in the long run. I am tired of this team always getting in its own f***ing way.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Los Angeles had a whole bunch of lottery picks as well and most of their big contributors definitely didnt come from trades or free agent signings...:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino