Three stars at Edmonton

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The history of our team gives us ZERO right to level indictments of what a joke any other organization may be is what I'm saying.
There is zero correlation bt those things

Edit. Separately, I think it's really wrong to attack people for still cheering. It's just as wrong to attack people who are disappointed w a win.

Any1 doing either should just get booted from the discussion. This is slowly heading towards being a disaster

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Which one is the good team, or are you saying by definition the winner is good, which would make no sense to me.

There's the Penguins and then there's not the Penguins.

That's not to say they'll definitely win the Cup because goaltending can make anything happen, but they're a level above when they have a healthy Letang.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
There is zero correlation bt those things

Edit. Separately, I think it's really wrong to attack people for still cheering. It's just as wrong to attack people who are disappointed w a win.

Any1 doing either should just get booted from the discussion. This is slowly heading towards being a disaster
We'll decide.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, I wasn't particularly impressed with Draisaitl myself. He looked awful, I thought.

McDavid is not human, though.
Draisaitl had a bad game, but im going off of what ive seen from them other than that game...its the same thing every night...McDavid and lotsa nothing. or Draisitl is going as well...RNH is ok...

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Yes but those guys were traded which goes to show you can build a cup team via trade.
And neither schenn nor jj are elite talents.

They were still taken high up in the draft. They also still had Doughty from 2ov. Also the they were able to turn those not so elite talents into something to help them win. Right now we can’t do that. The highest we have picked since I can remember is 7th last year and before that 10th.

We tried to build a cup winner with trades and that didn’t work.

Reactions: jas

ClutchTom

May 25, 2004
currently Kraków, Poland
BTW, just to interject for a second here, if Chiarelli offers me Puljujarvi for Kreider, I hang up the phone.

I've seen ZERO that has led me to believe that JP will ever amount to anything in this league.

The people fawning over the fact that he's a 6'4" former fourth overall pick will have to come to grips with that soon.

Reactions: bl02

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
BTW, just to interject for a second here, if Chiarelli offers me Puljujarvi for Kreider, I hang up the phone.

I've seen ZERO that has led me to believe that JP will ever amount to anything in this league.

The people fawning over the fact that he's a 6'4" former fourth overall pick will have to come to grips with that soon.
Eh, he’s 19 years old

He has time to turn into that player

I wouldn’t trade Kreider for him though, so I agree

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Eh, certainly wouldn't do it straight up. But I'm not so quick to discount how much that 10+ year dumpster fire of an organization can impact a player's performance. See Hall, Taylor.

People are so quick to point out EDM as a failed rebuild, without recognizing that they basically drafted the exact same player at the top of the draft 7 times. That's not how you build a team.

And haven't produced much from the mid rounds. And haven't made good trades. And haven't been able to sign UFAs until they landed McDavid.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
They were still taken high up in the draft. They also still had Doughty from 2ov. Also the they were able to turn those not so elite talents into something to help them win. Right now we can’t do that. The highest we have picked since I can remember is 7th last year and before that 10th.

Exactly...we just went through a very successful period that fell short due mostly to a lack of high-end skill, especially on the offensive side. So, let’s be content with the same method of building the team? What’s the old saying about the definition of insanity?

I’ve said it elsewhere, but I watched this team suck horribly for seven years and never sniff elite talent. If sucking for two years is the price to pay for multiple chances at drafting high-end talent, sign me up.

Excuse me if I’m not all hot and bothered about making the playoffs this year. I say that as a fan of this team for 45 years, lest anyone want to question my fanhood .

Last edited:

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Ot but why can’t I vote?
Probably due to number of posts or join date (unless you've gotten reprimanded by a mod, which as i understand, remove privileges for a certain amount of time).

Im sure a mod will browse this before long and give you a proper answer :)

Reactions: Gino Odjick

culex

Oct 23, 2016
There seem to be a few mixed opinions on the wins. I guess a few things to consider.

We have a three game winning streak against the Western Canada teams, all of which are rebuilding/struggling. Edmonton pressured us a lot in the third period and we all know how Hank completely saved our asses against the Canucks and the Flames. I think against a better team (ie. basically the rest of the season...) it won't be as pretty. I guess for Team Tank, this will be a good thing as I think we can realistically drop in standings. That said, even though the idea is to get the best pick possible here, the kids can learn a lot from these wins, too. Not everything is about the pick.

And on that note, even if we're hoping for a higher pick, that isn't something we should completely bank our next few years of success on. I think Edmonton is a perfect example of what happens when you have top 5 picks for who knows how many years, but don't cover your bases well enough to actually create a supporting cast to help those elite players. Instead of drafting or trading well, it seems like they'd rather trade away roster players in these obscure 1:1 trades; pretty much have a 50/50 chance of make or break here. Whereas with us, Gorton has moved all these players in exchange for other things (other roster players, prospects, picks). So in case the top pick doesn't pan out, at least we have other things to turn to. Or, say we only end up with a first round top 15 pick -- who's to say we can't package this with something and trade up? Overall, I think the idea of this season is to ensure the team has options and flexibility by the draft deadline and even into next year. Having a top pick would be fantastic, yes, but to see it as the end-all-be-all would be unwise IMO.

Overall, I'm actually glad the team swept Western Canada. After the craziness that has been the past few weeks with the team, I think the few wins under their belt will give them a way to "reset" and move forward with where this team is about to go.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

It could have worked if we made better decisions.

The 2014 and 2015 offseasons were back-to-back shit shows.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
How can you say tank chasing is not a viable strategy when all the recent stanley cup champs ALL TANKED. Pitt, Chicago, Los Angeles ALL TANKED. Every single one of them has multiple elite scorers. That is not a coincidence. That is what you need to win. We are living proof of that. If we had had just one guy like that. JUST ONE. During our recent run we would have at least 2 cups. But we never picked high enough. We never had a chance at that level of player. If someone like even Barkov was our first line center we would have one. Hell imagine Tavares as our top player. We would have won twice. We haven't had a guy since Jagr break 70 pts. That's in 10 years. That's f***ing pathetic. And people here still want to win meaningless games that only prevent us from getting the players that will help us win the games that count that we proved we could not win without guys like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->