Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Edmonton Oilers 3/30/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
You know it was a good game when 50% of the PGT posts are whining and crying about the sanctity of the PGT and the Rangers.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
To me Talbot has been the most unexpected surprise this season. He has registered wins against Blackhawks, Red Wings, Blue Jackets, Habs and Wild, who if the playoff started today all would be in. I don't know how much more you want for it to be considered elite? Here is some notes from his player profile on NHL.com:
What more you want? I would like to see him perform admirably and consistently for years to be called elite. I would also like to see him play in a game where he really needs to stand on his head for the team to win it, because frankly, I haven't seen Talbot being under barrage even once yet in his 20 games, which is really weird. It is like the team is playing perfect defensive hockey when he's in the net.

I mean, compare Talbot's toughest game to Hank's toughest game. It's on another planet. It's no knack against Talbot, I want him to become a stellar goalie of course, but I also try to be realistic and not start the parade prematurely.

tbonenc*

What more you want? I would like to see him perform admirably and consistently for years to be called elite. I would also like to see him play in a game where he really needs to stand on his head for the team to win it, because frankly, I haven't seen Talbot being under barrage even once yet in his 20 games, which is really weird. It is like the team is playing perfect defensive hockey when he's in the net.

I mean, compare Talbot's toughest game to Hank's toughest game. It's on another planet. It's no knack against Talbot, I want him to become a stellar goalie of course, but I also try to be realistic and not start the parade prematurely.

So, what you are saying is that over 20 games, the Rangers have played perfect defense in front of Cam, but when Hank is in net, they fall apart? Doesn't that sound a bit far fetched?

I hope that nobody is insinuating that Cam is on Hank's level, but you have to admit that when called upon, the kid is doing a spectacular job. His positioning is great and his rebound control, most of the time, is flawless. When you do these things, you don't have to be spectacular.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Joe does a great job. Listen to some of the other color guys around the league and then tell me he sucks.

Joe's ok until it comes time to spin things. Like how every player on every team is a hall of famer and has ten cups. I'll never forget how much he hyped up Adam Hall when we got him, Rangers fans are gonna love this guy size speed skill. Same thing with Voros, Voros will make Rangers fans forget about Avery. Joe is fine it's just when he starts going on over hyping guys is when he gets annoying. I'm surprised he hasn't said St. Louis has so much size and speed yet:sarcasm: :laugh:

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Joe does a great job. Listen to some of the other color guys around the league and then tell me he sucks.

Joe has no sense of when to shut up. He'll keep yapping regardless of the development on ice. The Rangers could be in the offensive zone sustaining pressure and getting shots, and he'lll be going on about something irrelevant. They should consider muting his mic whenever the puck is not in the neutral zone.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
He's shutout Nashville, Montreal and Edmonton. He plays against easier competition. He's a great backup, but when AV started playing him consistently he crumbled agains the jets. He gives me the impression that he's just happy to be here backing up Hank. Give him a raise this offseason and keep him around.

Montreal has 96 points. Talbot also beat Chicago, Detroit, CBJ, MIN & Toronto (before they started crumbling).

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I dont usually mind Joe, but he was pretty brutal last night IMO.

Let me tell everyone of you something, if you live in NY and have the Rangers crew on a consistent basis, it is quite easy to nitpick and complain. You won't realize how good they are until you move out of state and have to put up with every other teams toolbag PBP crew. Sam and Joe on their worst nights are still miles better than 3/4ths of the league on their best nights.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Let me tell everyone of you something, if you live in NY and have the Rangers crew on a consistent basis, it is quite easy to nitpick and complain. You won't realize how good they are until you move out of state and have to put up with every other teams toolbag PBP crew. Sam and Joe on their worst nights are still miles better than 3/4ths of the league on their best nights.

Oh I agree 100%. I don't live in NY right now. I know how brutal other teams announcers are believe me. I never have a problem with Sam and almost never have a problem with Joe. Something about him last night just got on my nerves.

The team gave me nothing to complain about last night, so Joe was on deck.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Yeah I dont know what Rongos is.

If you said something like that in the Blue Seats you'd get your ass kicked. At least in the old Blues.

Anyway, they need to gun for home ice. Forget just qualifying. Go for the kill.

One huge difference between the 2012 team and this team (Aside from Lundqvist) is the ability to come back. Id like to see better 3rd periods.

Philly outshout Boston 25-7 during the 3rd and OT yesterday. The Rangers need home ice in a 2-3 series. Philly is dominant at home.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Yeah I dont know what Rongos is.

If you said something like that in the Blue Seats you'd get your ass kicked. At least in the old Blues.

Anyway, they need to gun for home ice. Forget just qualifying. Go for the kill.

One huge difference between the 2012 team and this team (Aside from Lundqvist) is the ability to come back. Id like to see better 3rd periods.

Philly outshout Boston 25-7 during the 3rd and OT yesterday. The Rangers need home ice in a 2-3 series. Philly is dominant at home.

I'd really like to try and catch MTL or TB on the off chance that BOS doesn't come out of the Atlantic.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
It's been the best season by a backup, probably in team history. And Cam's performance, without it we wouldn't be in the playoff picture right now. So for that he deserves thanks, and beyond that, we know if anything happens we have a guy who gives us a shot. He's exceeded even my expectations for him which were lofty in comparison to much of the board.

Richter in 1990. Was 7th in Vezina voting and benched Beezer for the playoffs. Only after 20 or so ganes.

Talbot should make the All Rookie team. He kept this team afloat while Lundqvist struggled.

.940 svpct in 20 games.

kid just plays with so much confidence.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Dan Carcillo actually goes by this nickname. his twitter handle is also @CarBombBoom13

if that helps at all.

i couldn't tell you where the Taco Bell thing came from though.

It does help. Thanks. The only way to find out for myself was to get a team sheet and cross them off 1 by 1 and see who I'm left with.

nikonsniper*

The Edmonton Oilers are proof that you can't always tank your way to a championship.

It worked for the Pens and Hawks.

Getting a few top-3 picks Its not a guarantee, but it sure does help your odds.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

all you really have to do is turn the channel to the devils game, or even worse, flip to the Isles game when Butch has to put his 2 cents in...

But if you still don't believe me, I'll point you in the direction of the Caps and Penguins announcers. Go listen to them... I dare you to tell me they are better than Sam and Joe.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
all you really have to do is turn the channel to the devils game, or even worse, flip to the Isles game when Butch has to put his 2 cents in...

But if you still don't believe me, I'll point you in the direction of the Caps and Penguins announcers. Go listen to them... I dare you to tell me they are better than Sam and Joe.

They are better than the guys for Calgary. The most boring hockey experience of my life.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Hall, Eberle, and RNH, are solid and going to be very good. The rest of the team is awful though. Middle 6 is terrible. That comes from developing those 2nd-5th rounders or getting them through trade/FA. They fail at that.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
He came within 15 seconds of shutting out the Hawks didn't he?

Sure he has faced some weaker opponents as all backups do, but he has become a valuable second fiddle to Hank.

Provided he stays, do you guys see him starting more often next year?

Probably a few games less to be honest. Especially if Henrik starts next season how he has played since January.

Talbot was probably started a few extra games this season because of the extra mental and physical toll the workload of the Olympics provided Henrik.

Even with the Olympics, Henrik having an inconsistent season, and Talbot playing solid in the starts he gets, Henrik is still slated for 60 games played.

I'd assume Talbot is good for 15-20 games, not much more than that.

I'd be in complete support of Talbot starting 20-22 games a season though. No need for any starting goaltender to start more than 60 in a season. Henrik's best season is when Biron gave him the most rest (Biron was solid too that season). I dont think rest and success is coincidence. NHL coaches have moved away from the mentality that a work horse starting goaltender needs to start 72+ games. That was plain silly.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hall, Eberle, and RNH, are solid and going to be very good. The rest of the team is awful though. Middle 6 is terrible. That comes from developing those 2nd-5th rounders or getting them through trade/FA. They fail at that.

The Rangers could get a king's ransom offering Staal/Girardi to the oilers. They'll probably be the first team to call Stralman on July 1st. The blueline is a travesty, and the team plays like it's a prep school squad. No one wants to be bothered playing defense, especially on the power play.

It's not a new thing, either. This is the team that gave regular minutes to Jason Strudwick and Corey Potter.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Chicago and Pitt had some idea on how to actually build a roster. They drafted and traded for other players. Chicago was putrid in 2006 and 2007 but they had Keith and Seabrook on the team. Traded for Sharp. Traded Ruutu for Ladd. The 2010 Hawks team was loaded. Buff was a late round pick. Pitt was bad for a while and they selected in the top 3 4 straight years. Fluery. Malkin. Crosby. Staal. Letang was a great pick. They had other picks like Whitney and Goligoski who turned into Kunitz and Neal. Orpik. Scuderi. Edmonton hasn't made the playoffs since 2006. They looked putrid last night. That team isn't close to competing for a playoff spot. Forget about making the playoffs. Competing for a spot. Edmonton hasn't done a good job surrounding Hall,Eberle and RNH with enough players. Lowe has no clue. MacTavish has no clue. They need to bring Sather back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad