Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Edmonton Oilers 3/30/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
This might be the best goaltending tandem we've had since Giacomin - Villemure. I know he hasn't faced a lot of elite teams and pressure cooker situations, but Talbot has been outstanding positionally. Rebound control might the only issue I have but that's a minor quibble. He recovers so well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW am I seeing things or did MSL have a clear tap in on that play where the puck went through Scrivens and then he inexplicably stuck his stick between the pads? It almost looks like he's not scoring on purpose.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
He's shutout Nashville, Montreal and Edmonton. He plays against easier competition. He's a great backup, but when AV started playing him consistently he crumbled agains the jets. He gives me the impression that he's just happy to be here backing up Hank. Give him a raise this offseason and keep him around.

He came within 15 seconds of shutting out the Hawks didn't he?

Sure he has faced some weaker opponents as all backups do, but he has become a valuable second fiddle to Hank.

Provided he stays, do you guys see him starting more often next year?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm glad someone finally said it if I did I would be called a dino...What really bothers me is Rongos...That's more disrespectful to me than Rags

Yeah it's ****ing stupid. Almost as stupid as poll names these days. I mean who the **** is Taco Bell and Carbomb.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He came within 15 seconds of shutting out the Hawks didn't he?

Sure he has faced some weaker opponents as all backups do, but he has become a valuable second fiddle to Hank.

Provided he stays, do you guys see him starting more often next year?

Doubt it. He probably gets 20-odd games depending on the schedule with Hank doing the heavy lifting.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I love AV/Samuelsson's decision to put Nash and Zucc on the PK. Add's speed and danger to our already great PK.

Great to FINALLY see a PP goal, though it was a fluke. Good play by Pouliot though to set the screen, Scrivens had no chance.

Speaking of, so nice to finally blow out Ben "Hasek" Scrivens.

Stepan busted his ass all game and made some great defensive plays.

Zucc finally gets a goal. Hopefully gets him going again. Still think his hand is bothering him.

This is a win the Rangers needed. Glad they got it. Another shutout for Talgod.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I love AV/Samuelsson's decision to put Nash and Zucc on the PK. Add's speed and danger to our already great PK.

Great to FINALLY see a PP goal, though it was a fluke. Good play by Pouliot though to set the screen, Scrivens had no chance.

Speaking of, so nice to finally blow out Ben "Hasek" Scrivens.

Stepan busted his ass all game and made some great defensive plays.

Zucc finally gets a goal. Hopefully gets him going again. Still think his hand is bothering him.

This is a win the Rangers needed. Glad they got it. Another shutout for Talgod.

The curse of Ben Scrivens is over!

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
If my math is right. if we win 5 of our last 6 we're automatically in no matter what. This is assuming our chasers go on a massive win streak which i honestly can't see happening for any of them.

EDIT - 5 out of 6 for divisonal spot*

4 out of 6 or 3-3-1 for a gurantee playoff spot.

Last edited:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The Edmonton Oilers are proof that you can't always tank your way to a championship.

I think it doesn't help that they tanked in the wrong years. Would they be this bad if they had Crosby and Malkin for instance? Or were able to get Crosby, AO/Malkin and Toews as their big three for example?

Then I start to think if the culture there is just bad luck. I mean 3 #1 overall picks (and another solid player in Eberle) and they're still in the running for another top pick this season? Sheesh.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Oh, and the Rangers are tied with the Blues for most road wins in the league now.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
I think it doesn't help that they tanked in the wrong years. Would they be this bad if they had Crosby and Malkin for instance? Or were able to get Crosby, AO/Malkin and Toews as their big three for example?

Then I start to think if the culture there is just bad luck. I mean 3 #1 overall picks (and another solid player in Eberle) and they're still in the running for another top pick this season? Sheesh.

When it gets to that point, I don't think that it's the wrong years or the lack of talent. There's definitely a deeper issue going on.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

the Kings tanked for a long time too...sometimes it comes together, sometimes it doesnt.

Atlanta tanked and got Kovalchuk, Heatley, etc.

it doesnt always work.

need vets to augment the youth..they are way too young, Smyth isnt enough. they need some leadership and they need to stop rushing their kids.

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
The Edmonton Oilers are proof that you can't always tank your way to a championship.

Good point. That organization is a gong show. Even with all of those top picks, they've managed to stumble and bumble their way to (yet another) top 5 pick this year. There just doesn't seem to be a plan or a blueprint, it's like "let's just draft the best available forward coming out of juniors." They seem bereft of leadership, size, defensive talent....and an identity.

This should be a clue to their loyal-to-a-fault owner that hiring and promoting past Oiler greats isn't such a good idea.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
the Kings tanked for a long time too...sometimes it comes together, sometimes it doesnt.

Atlanta tanked and got Kovalchuk, Heatley, etc.

it doesnt always work.

need vets to augment the youth..they are way too young, Smyth isnt enough. they need some leadership and they need to stop rushing their kids.

Yup need leadership. Also cant just draft best available forwards and stick them together. Need D-men. That blue line is horrible. Need goaltending as well.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
This might be the best goaltending tandem we've had since Giacomin - Villemure. I know he hasn't faced a lot of elite teams and pressure cooker situations, but Talbot has been outstanding positionally. Rebound control might the only issue I have but that's a minor quibble. He recovers so well.

To me Talbot has been the most unexpected surprise this season. He has registered wins against Blackhawks, Red Wings, Blue Jackets, Habs and Wild, who if the playoff started today all would be in. I don't know how much more you want for it to be considered elite? Here is some notes from his player profile on NHL.com:

- Has held opponents to two goals or fewer in 14 of his 17 career starts, including nine of 10 road starts and five of seven starts at home

- Is 5-0-0 with a 0.97 GAA and .964 Sv% in five games vs. Original Six opponents

- Is the first Ranger to win six straight decisions in his first year since Jim Henry in 1941-42 (seven straight)

- Is the first goalie in franchise history to hold opponents to two or fewer goals in each of his first seven career starts, and the first in the NHL since Frank Brimsek with Boston in 1938-39 (first 12 starts)

- Is the third goalie in team history to post two shutouts in their first six career starts (Lorne Chabot and Hal Winkler, 1926-27)

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah it's ****ing stupid. Almost as stupid as poll names these days. I mean who the **** is Taco Bell and Carbomb.

Dan Carcillo actually goes by this nickname. his twitter handle is also @CarBombBoom13

if that helps at all.

i couldn't tell you where the Taco Bell thing came from though.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Think this was the easiest win of the season. Rangers dominated and The Oilers were none responsive. Anyone else kind of feel bad for their fans? It felt like a death march in that stadium!

Also Dalas Eakens(sp?) did not impress me. AV was coaching his team even up by 5 and all Dallas did was stand there with a smug look on his face! Glad we went with AV over him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad