Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Carolina Hurricanes 3/21/15: The Losing Streak Ends!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The point isn't that we'd win a trophy, but that we are the best team in the NHL right now. These are also not lingering issues. Even with the recent slip, we are still scoring 3 goals per game on average for the season. We scored like beasts for most of the season and struggling a few games is not a problem when we are still winning.

You are nervous about this team because you aren't used to routing for a real contender, much less the favorite.
Probably.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
The point isn't that we'd win a trophy, but that we are the best team in the NHL right now. These are also not lingering issues. Even with the recent slip, we are still scoring 3 goals per game on average for the season. We scored like beasts for most of the season and struggling a few games is not a problem when we are still winning.

You are nervous about this team because you aren't used to routing for a real contender, much less the favorite.

In NY sports, unless you are a Yankee fan ( which i'm not) you never get used to routing for a real contender, at least I haven't since 94' and even than I wasn't 100% sure it was actually gonna happen, and when a team you root for is considered the favorite you will go and **** yourself.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone still not worried about this team sitting on a lead? Like clockwork. Also that first goal against was awful. Too many "depth players" scoring lately, not enough top players. Nash and Stepan seemed to have checked out. I don't know if it's encouraging that we're still winning or worrisome because it's a bad sign.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Anyone still not worried about this team sitting on a lead? Like clockwork. Also that first goal against was awful. Too many "depth players" scoring lately, not enough top players. Nash and Stepan seemed to have checked out. I don't know if it's encouraging that we're still winning or worrisome because it's a bad sign.

Yeah, the 3rd period display was like watching a game from the Torts-era. Pretty concerned with the team's play heading into the playoffs.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Garbage effort that we had no business winning but idc

Come out strong against ANA and I don't give a damn about this game.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, the 3rd period display was like watching a game from the Torts-era. Pretty concerned with the team's play heading into the playoffs.

This happens every game. The Rangers aren't so bad that they have to get dominated every 3rd with a lead. Has to be the coaching.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
****...sens are gonna make the playoffs and I want nothing to do with them. 1st in each division could wind up being dangerous because at this rate you have no idea who you're getting. 1st place is such a close race and so are the WCs.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
****...sens are gonna make the playoffs and I want nothing to do with them. 1st in each division could wind up being dangerous because at this rate you have no idea who you're getting. 1st place is such a close race and so are the WCs.

I would play to lose honestly if it were up to me just to draw the Panthers or Caps.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our 5 on 5 CF% when leading is 8th in the league at 47.4 and only 2 teams are above 50. When leading by one goal, it's 6th in the league at 49.4 and only 4 teams are above 50. This means two things.

1)Everyone. Sits. Back. With. The. Lead. It's natural.

2)But we do it less than 22-24 teams do.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Our 5 on 5 CF% when leading is 8th in the league at 47.4 and only 2 teams are above 50. When leading by one goal, it's 6th in the league at 49.4 and only 4 teams are above 50. This means two things.

1)Everyone. Sits. Back. With. The. Lead. It's natural.

2)But we do it less than 22-24 teams do.

10th in the league in CF% when up by 1 in third periods also......

I honestly thought it would be A LOT worse.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
They aren't in a sprint right now. It's obvious. It doesn't look like a 100% effort because it isn't. A 100-game sprint to the Cup was the Torts method. They are in the playoffs and the division is won. AV knows this, the players know this, and they are taking their foot off the gas when they can. The most obvious sign is how the Top 6 aren't getting in on the forecheck like they were earlier in the season. Do you think they've lost their speed? No. They're just not going all out because there is no reason to right now. And they're still winning.

Not even close to being worried.

MillerTime79

Jun 28, 2007
Any the theories out there regarding Stepan and his terrible play lately? I can't figure it out...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Speaking of #fancystats, people often talk about how lackluster we are at the Garden. The stats back that up. 10th in the league in CF-Close on the road. 20th at home.

That away mark for a team that doesn't attempt a lot of shots is remarkable. That home mark for team as good as we are is equally abysmal.

Granted, we found a way to protect our house in big spots against the Flyers, Habs, and Kings (Quick ****ing heisted game 3 and ran, let's face it) in the playoffs last year, but I still worry about this team at home.

On the flipside, being the best road team in the league will take away other team's home ice. But against a team like the Lighting, who are even better at home than we are on the road, we'll need to win at the Garden.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island

Come on. Hammond is a nice story, but he isn't this good. Has never played this well at any level. He's slowly coming back down to earth. I'll gladly take that team in a 7 game series.

If we are going to win the Cup, we're going to have to knock off some quality teams. There's so many teams with a realistic chance to win it all this season, perhaps more so than in any year in recent memory. There's no clear cut favorite. I'm not even sure if there's a clear cut top 5.

I would play to lose honestly if it were up to me just to draw the Panthers or Caps.

Play to lose, honestly? :shakehead Whoever we play, we play. If you're worrying about matchups and hoping for certain teams/to avoid certain teams then you're doing it wrong. Be careful what you wish for.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Come on. Hammond is a nice story, but he isn't this good. Has never played this well at any level. He's slowly coming back down to earth. I'll gladly take that team in a 7 game series.

If we are going to win the Cup, we're going to have to knock off some quality teams. There's so many teams with a realistic chance to win it all this season, perhaps more so than in any year in recent memory. There's no clear cut favorite. I'm not even sure if there's a clear cut top 5.

Play to lose, honestly? :shakehead Whoever we play, we play. If you're worrying about matchups and hoping for certain teams/to avoid certain teams than you're doing it wrong. Be careful what you wish for.

Goalie playing out of his mind? Check
Team on ridiculous hot streak? Check

They have upset written all over them. Let them spank the Habs please. Give me the caps.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Remember, the playoffs don't start until April 14th or 15th, who knows where teams will be then. Three weeks ago we couldn't stop teams from scoring 4 goals. Now we never give up more than 2. Things change. Can't worry about who's hot right now.

Finish 1st. Win the Trophy. It's an accomplishment. After that, whatever happens happens. Any team that deserves to win it all will get past a wildcard in round 1.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Goalie playing out of his mind? Check
Team on ridiculous hot streak? Check

They have upset written all over them. Let them spank the Habs please. Give me the caps.

Last two games for Hammond he's let up 7 goals and had a save percentage under .890. That bubble is starting to burst. Teams have scouts. They're figuring him out. He's never been above .917 at any level.

They've had to blow their load the last month just to make things interesting. If they get in, how much is left in the tank?

Who are they really beating in a 7 game series? I just don't see it.

I'd be much much more worried about facing Boston or Washington.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Last two games for Hammond he's let up 7 goals and had a save percentage under .890. That bubble is starting to burst. Teams have scouts. They're figuring him out. He's never been above .917 at any level.

They've had to blow their load the last month just to make things interesting. If they get in, how much is left in the tank?

Who are they really beating in a 7 game series? I just don't see it.

I'd be much much more worried about facing Boston or Washington.

I agree with you, I don't see why everyone is afraid of the Sens, there's a good chance they won't even make the playoffs.

Salivate at playing Washington, even though it's so been there done that.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Was at the game tonight. So many rangers fans. We definitely outnumbered the canes. As most of you have said, it wasnt a very good showing from us but once again found a way to win. The brass, zucc, miller line was our best and zucc made lots of plays to generate scoring chances. Also thought hayes and fast played great. Hags did not have a good game tonight and once again stepan didnt show up. Nash seemed to be all over the ice as well but seems to be a little snake bitten right now. Moving on to tomorrow. ..

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Just have to note, ever since I switched to my method of muting the TV and turning my back on any shootout attempt where the Rangers need a save to win, we have won all 3 of those games. I believe its 3 shootouts in a row.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just have to note, ever since I switched to my method of muting the TV and turning my back on any shootout attempt where the Rangers need a save to win, we have won all 3 of those games. I believe its 3 shootouts in a row.

Keep doing it.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
If people don't see a real issue about how this team generates and sustains offense...honestly...I would love to trade places. I would be a lot happier that way.

I love the Rangers and am confident in them most times. But there is a real flaw in the gameplan right now...to call this a slump is completely disingenuous.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If people don't see a real issue about how this team generates and sustains offense...honestly...I would love to trade places. I would be a lot happier that way.

I love the Rangers and am confident in them most times. But there is a real flaw in the gameplan right now...to call this a slump is completely disingenuous.

I don't think it's a gameplan issue. What it comes down is simply, Stepan is worthless right now and Nash isn't connecting. That's 2/3's of our 1st line. That's a concern yes, but not something they can't fix before the playoffs.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Best part of this thread is "the losing streak" hahah.

So good.

Fast was great tonight, Cam was good and finally had a good shoot out props to him.

Best part was 2 points.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Anyone else think Nash has been "gripping the stick too tight" we saw the move a couple days ago when he had the goalie dead to rights but tried to cut back. I saw similar lack of confidence or trying to be to perfect today on his breakaway move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad