Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Carolina Hurricanes 3/21/15: The Losing Streak Ends!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Can one vote more than thrice? I put Hayes with Cam Miller and Fast…Zucc with the winner too…

What a difference not having Klein and MSL makes…

Glass….man...

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Brutal game. This college hockey game that is on now is way better than what I saw earlier.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
i'm glad we are going through a bit of a rough (offensive) stretch yet still finding ways to win more times than not. we have a few weeks to get things humming again. hard to stay hot for months on end...better to "struggle" a bit now than in April.

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
Consider me apart of the "we won but the effort was disturbing" crowd.

I really do feel that fans look a little too much into when teams reach their peak level of play. How often have you heard "Oh, they're peaking at the right/wrong time" this season alone? Throughout the course of an 82 game season you really expect the level of effort from a team to fluctuate, it is only natural. While you do want the players to enter the playoffs with the confidence that they have been playing their best hockey, people tend to put too much emphasis on it.

A team going into the playoffs is going to experience a series of momentum shifts; both from game to game and series to series. Rarely does a team come into the playoffs and tear apart every opponent. You cannot put a lot of stock into a small string of very good (or very bad) games. It's all about the bigger picture. How well does the team perform at their absolute best and worst? On average, how high is their level of play? When you're expecting a long run, it's important to understand that they are likely to play at both ends of the spectrum throughout the run. Hockey is a mental game just as much as it is a physical one, especially in the playoffs.

In my eyes, after how amazing this team has played over the past forty or so games, it's hard for me to begin to doubt their ability when the playoffs arrive. If they continue to show this level of effort until the end of the season, maybe I'll be singing a different tune. But, as of now, looking at the bigger picture tells me that this is an incredibly good team that is a Stanley Cup contender.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Whatever line Stepan is on is dead, doesn't matter who he's with. Nash regardless is playing like a wuss again.

Those two have to get it going. You don't win completely devoid of a 1st line.

CaptainMcD

Jan 30, 2012
Meh... still not worried... teams go through funks, whats important is that they're getting the W's. Carolina has played us tough this season and I think it was Zip I heard on the radio saying that basically this is a better time to have a funk than 11 games from now. Hopefully they'll break out of it soon and I saw some flashes from Nash and even a couple from Step that are positive signs. Nash shoulda scored shorthanded he just held onto it too long. He's not really playing poorly he just can't buy a goal. There were a couple of positives on offense. PP was not one. Its a ****ing dumpster fire.

Let's see what tomorrow looks like, it could be ugly.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Tomorrow will be ugly, because if you think we're bad wait til you see the Ducks. We attend the school of winning despite being inept. The Ducks founded the school and teach all the courses.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I wish hayes would have scored that mini-forsberg goal in the shootout...holy crap.

other than that 2 points is 2 points. Kill the ducks tomorrow and you have a shot at being the first team to hit 100 points this year.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ok so we are gonna whine that being the best team in the NHL in points per game is not good enough because we aren't dominant? Normal teams go through bad stretches losing most games. We still win, just not as convincingly. Where do I sign up for this every season?

#Cupcakes

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think we should move Hayes up to get Nash going. Having him and Stepan together is treating a rash with snake venom at this point.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Ok so we are gonna whine that being the best team in the NHL in points per game is not good enough because we aren't dominant? Normal teams go through bad stretches losing most games. We still win, just not as convincingly. Where do I sign up for this every season?

#Cupcakes

No one will care about winning a President's Trophy if we lose in the first round. We're not even going through a bad stretch really, there's just been lingering issues all season. Idk something about this team makes me nervous, it may just be their expectations.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
No one will care about winning a President's Trophy if we lose in the first round. We're not even going through a bad stretch really, there's just been lingering issues all season. Idk something about this team makes me nervous, it may just be their expectations.

The point isn't that we'd win a trophy, but that we are the best team in the NHL right now. These are also not lingering issues. Even with the recent slip, we are still scoring 3 goals per game on average for the season. We scored like beasts for most of the season and struggling a few games is not a problem when we are still winning.

You are nervous about this team because you aren't used to rooting for a real contender, much less the favorite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1